Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 New Amanresorts, GHM & Ahn Luh Development Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7379801&type=3
seems that is what was sent out... is that a B&O TV in 2nd pic?
Ugh, I'm really unimpressed by those room pictures ... and that TV looks so ridiculously out of place.

For a base of €1000++ per night, I expect more. I'm hoping this is a case of poor marketing materials, but will absolutely wait on a TR or 4 before making a final decision.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:18 pm

I was hoping for something like the utterly fabulous Chateau de Bagnols which Amanresorts managed in its first years of operation. That still might be the best hotel I've ever been to. The Venice place, so far, looks a little bit schizophrenic to me.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chair looks exactly like wella? zoe is subdevelopment with residences, finances linked

pic is signature/expensive Sansovino Suite?
"original fireplace designed by...one of Venice's most famous 16th-century architects"
if particularly expensive B&O/etc, clearly not in base rooms as well

its a historic property, aman mgmt of those has often not lasted, i personally dont want to miss it
if true, not sure what difference a sublet from owner would make.. owners are Count/Princess, Count inherited

on top of historic/location, 24 room aman. for example cipriani/bauer are same price with four times the rooms
these could be intro rates, 24 rooms sell out fast in peak season, and weve seen recent aman rate changes

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 15, 2013 at 12:23 am
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chair looks exactly like wella? zoe is subdevelopment with residences, finances linked

pic is signature/expensive Sansovino Suite?
"original fireplace designed by...one of Venice's most famous 16th-century architects"
if particularly expensive B&O/etc, clearly not in base rooms as well

its a historic property, aman mgmt of those has often not lasted, i personally dont want to miss it
if true, not sure what difference a sublet from owner would make.. owners are Count/Princess, Count inherited

on top of historic/location, 24 room aman. for example cipriani/bauer are same price with four times the rooms
these could be intro rates, 24 rooms sell out fast in peak season, and weve seen recent aman rate changes
Let's see what happens during the film festival this year and carnevale next year and we will know the elasticity of their pricing.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:59 am

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7379801&type=3
seems that is what was sent out... is that a B&O TV in 2nd pic?
http://www.andrewharper.com/blog/not...grande-venice/
6 Palazzo Rooms - garden view - €1000 + tax and service
9 Palazzo Chambers - canal view
6 Palazzo Suites - "elevated" canal view - 'elaborate architectural details'
1 Sansovino Suite - "original fireplace designed by...one of Venice's most famous 16th-century architects"
1 Alcove Tiepolo Suite - "Chinese-style painted sitting room and bedroom ceiling by...great 18th-century artist"
1 Grand Canal Suite - "sitting room's arched windows front the Grand Canal"
3 signature suites may be one price?

http://www.dolphinci.com/downloads/f...case_study.pdf
page 4 - shows where chedi will be at porto heli
i dont recall seeing a map with that amount of detail until now
Latest news from Aman Canal Grande regarding rates:

9 Palazzo Chambers - grand canal view - €1500 ++
6 Palazzo Suites - grand canal view €2000++
1 Sansovino Suite - €2500++
1 Alcove Tiepolo Suite - €3500 ++
1 Grand Canal Suite - €3500 ++
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by halibahs
Latest news from Aman Canal Grande regarding rates:

9 Palazzo Chambers - grand canal view - €1500 ++
6 Palazzo Suites - grand canal view €2000++
1 Sansovino Suite - €2500++
1 Alcove Tiepolo Suite - €3500 ++
1 Grand Canal Suite - €3500 ++
Thank you!^
Any additional description on rooms / lay-out / size?
Difficult to make a choice with so few details.
Introductory rates are quite high anyway!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Thank you!^
Any additional description on rooms / lay-out / size?
Difficult to make a choice with so few details.
Quote from the Aman Canal Grande brochure:

"ACCOMMODATION
Unusual for a hotel in Venice, almost all of the resort’s suites offer
beautiful views over the Grand Canal. Aman offers a total of 24 suites
with the majority being of unique layout and design. Many feature
protected frescos and reliefs that reflect past periods of art and
architecture. Furniture and furnishings throughout the rooms are
contemporary yet of a simple aesthetic.
Most suites provide combined living areas and bedrooms, as well as
linked dressing areas and bathrooms. Lighting is most often provided
by table and standing lamps. Each suite provides a television which
broadcasts local and international channels as well as movies and
documentaries on demand. A docking station is also included in the
suite. All rooms offer a king-sized bed, an armoire with personal bar,
a writing desk and either a sofa or twin lounge chairs. There are a total
of four suite categories, differentiated by design, floor area and view.

PALAZZO ROOMS
The six Palazzo Rooms offer views of the Private Garden.

PALAZZO CHAMBERS
The nine Palazzo Chambers offer beautiful views of the Grand Canal.

PALAZZO SUITES
The six Palazzo Suites all feature spectacular views of the Grand Canal and many have wonderful architectural details.
The majority are located between the second and fifth levels of the palazzo.

SIGNATURE SUITES
The three Signature Suites include the Sansovino Suite, the Alcove Tiepolo Suite and the Canal Grande Suite. These spacious suites all boast unique
architectural features.
Sansovino Suite: This suite was originally called ‘The Hall of the Four Doors’. Noteworthy architectural details include wood panelling, a painted frieze
around the walls and a carved ceiling. It also has the most
historical fireplace in the palazzo, designed by Jacopo d’Antonio Sansovino, one of Venice’s most famous architects in the early 16th century.

Alcove Tiepolo Suite: The Alcove Tiepolo Suite offers a Chinese painted sitting room and a bedroom ceiling by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo.
Tiepolo has been described as the “greatest decorative painter of 18th-century Europe, as well as its most able craftsman”.

Canal Grande Suite: Located above the front door of the palazzo, this suite directly fronts the Grand Canal offering exceptional views. It features a
lovely sitting room with an arched window through which the full spectrum of the canal’s maritime activities can be viewed. It can become a twobedroom
suite when necessary.
"

I think Palazzo Suites are probably the rooms to go for.
Combined living areas and bedroom, room size probably similar to Amansara minus the outdoor courtyard
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I don't like the looks of these photos at all. Very Delano 1995.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:58 am

I think Palazzo Suites are probably the rooms to go for.
Combined living areas and bedroom, room size probably similar to Amansara minus the outdoor courtyard
Thank you for this information!^
I will probably follow your advice even if the crazy me deep inside wishes to book Grand Canal Suite.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I don't like the looks of these photos at all. Very Delano 1995.
A Venetian palazzo is not really amenable to what we have come to expect from most GHM and Amanresorts, a very simple, elegant, and contemporary style. Venice is rococo. See this Wikipedia article on Italian Rococo interior design. The pictures of the rooms pretty much match this style.

If anyone is interested in the hotel's fact sheet, you can download it from here.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DavidO
A Venetian palazzo is not really amenable to what we have come to expect from most GHM and Amanresorts, a very simple, elegant, and contemporary style. Venice is rococo. See this Wikipedia article on Italian Rococo interior design. The pictures of the rooms pretty much match this style.

If anyone is interested in the hotel's fact sheet, you can download it from here.
My issue is not with rococo - it's with the furniture and lighting which seems out of place IMHO.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:18 am

David and or Kageh , are there plans for a pool here ?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:24 am

Thanks DavidO!

May tack on a few days here after our trip to Rome next year...

Regarding Architecture / Design: The site is the site (I think there were constraints on what could be done). So, with this site, would you rather have it be managed by Aman, or by somebody else? I'll take Aman...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
The site is the site (I think there were constraints on what could be done). So, with this site, would you rather have it be managed by Aman, or by somebody else? I'll take Aman...
3rd Option: don't book
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chinese room / Alcove Tiepolo Suite ? seems to match aman living room pics

new description of sansovino continues to describe aman bedroom pic?

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Let's see what happens during the film festival this year and carnevale next year and we will know the elasticity of their pricing.
to expand on part of what i said earlier - aman has been moving to fewer seasons. except for wella and then europe - to have higher rates in high season. venice has base rooms (unlike ruya/zoe) but only 1>9 rooms per category.

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
brochure does say "introductory rates 2013"
ruya's were extended (because turkey?)
OTOH low season has been added, so id expect same thing in venice, at some point
what is low season in venice? dec > mar minus events which vary year to year?

I think Palazzo Suites are probably the rooms to go for. Combined living areas and bedroom, room size probably similar to Amansara minus the outdoor courtyard
unless you heard size, i would not assume. i might recall (matching) ~9 full suites on plans. with rest smaller rooms. although did have 28 not 24 rooms and was dated 2010. and i really cant say much for certain at this point.

Originally Posted by bearbrick
are there plans for a pool here ?
re design choices, certainly valid. we dont know who bought aman and if there is sublet for venice, who is renting. sublet would probably explain no pool. (small aboveground etc to avoid any potential regulations.)

pool question came up before, and the gardens were not included in plans - they were blank except outer walls and path.

Originally Posted by Hubertus
property will be subect to a number of historical and landscape encumbrances and I am pretty sure that the zoning plan of Venice prohibits the construction of pools in such area
Originally Posted by aa213bb
3rd Option: don't book
if you prefer other venice hotels and or dont mind staying under different mgmt.

forgot one of aman's PR agencies, for future reference
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...6415555&type=1

and a good first hand post from an amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Hubertus
two gardens - one on the water and the other (very private and surrounded by old brick walls) on the back - is a feature which is exceptionally rare, even unique for this (fantastic) stretch of the Grand Canal.
Note that other resort-like properties in Venice are located on other islands in the lagoon (e.g. Cipriani or the San Clemente (the latter now closed)) nice views but not in the middle of the action and connected via boats.
So the Aman will be basically in an "urban" setting which, in my opinion is great because it is at a walking distance from many many attractions in Venice.
It is true that it is not far from the touristy Rialto Bridge, but in Venice if you skip the itinerary marked by the yellow signed (packed with hordes of tourists, souvenir shops and horrific restaurants with plastic menues) there are hundreds of peaceful and magical calli and campi (streets and squares). Campo san Polo is the closest square which is usually busy with locals.
In short, the property is amazing (grandioso!!) and so it is its location, very quiet on the back and with a jaw dropping view on the Grand Canal on the front (Rialto on the left, gorgeous Palazzo Grimani in the front and the Ca Foscari bow of the canal on the right).
Canal Grande Suite: Located above the front door of the palazzo, this suite directly fronts the Grand Canal offering exceptional views. It features a lovely sitting room with an arched window through which the full spectrum of the canal’s maritime activities can be viewed. It can become a two bedroom suite when necessary.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...l_san_polo.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CzKAy663xQ
going back to prior links, suggests Grand Canal Suite on top/4th floor
http://oliaklodvenitiens.wordpress.c...zo-papadopoli/
3rd pic there either Grand Canal Suite or public areas? pic is corner, may not connect to center?
http://www.studiores.it/categorie.as...blocco_2&page= (contractor)
with public areas Salon, Library, Stanza del Tiepolo, Stanza del Guarana on 4th floor running along gardens
im remembering a large space running along gardens in plans
then Dining Room below Grand Canal Suite, both canal front, dining room running entire length of canal front
seems problem is no finished exterior pics, interior windows seem improved and not matching exterior
anyone else have thoughts??

just noticed they refer to top suite two different ways - one in description, one in rates

one question - if any rooms above/adjacent/below Grand Canal Suite, how many in which categories?

keeping at bottom of my latest post >
Rate validity from 1 June 2013 to 30 April 2014
6 €1000 Palazzo Rooms - garden view
9 €1500 Palazzo Chambers - grand canal view
6 €2000 59-89m2 Palazzo Suites - grand canal view
1 €2500 Sansovino Suite
1 €3500 Alcove Tiepolo Suite
1 €3500 103m2 Grand Canal Suite
+ tax and service
thanks again halibahs and DavidO and Pierre&Cédric

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 16, 2013 at 11:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.