Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanpulo and Bopha

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Mano G, Senior Manager of Amanresorts Sales & Concierge Services " If there is anyone who is interested in supporting the relief work, kindly direct them to me on [email protected] "
Mano is in sri lanka, also in sri lanka above Mano is General Manager

in singapore >
Managing Director South East Asia
Director of Sales South East Asia

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
For any inquiries as to how you can contribute to the relief effort of the Quiniluban group of islands please contact Ms Lemia Simbulan of the Andres Sorian Foundation at [email protected]
http://link.amanresorts.com/u/gm.php...2_261049_92537

providing medical aid and supplies to those in need throughout the Quiniluban Group of islands, in particular Concepcion and Algeciras

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 28, 2014 at 5:12 pm
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:35 pm

Mosquitos?

Do any of your Amanpulo junkies have any feedback on mosquitos? Especially in light of the typhoon, I'm hearing reports of increased malaria risk, typhoid, etc. Just curious to hear thoughts from folks who have been there.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:12 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Amanpulo and Bopha

No mosquitos when we were there in March two years ago, but that was a different time and dry season.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:22 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Doug Hirsch
Do any of your Amanpulo junkies have any feedback on mosquitos? Especially in light of the typhoon, I'm hearing reports of increased malaria risk, typhoid, etc. Just curious to hear thoughts from folks who have been there.
It will be fine , this is an island on its own!
Remember it's privately owned & the team there is vigilant - an Aman
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:35 am

Last place I would worry about this! Aman are exceptionally vigilant in this regard.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Didn't have an issue in Oct., although it would have been nice to have a screen door. The bigger issue is tripping over the big lizards. And the tocays tend to wake you up at dawn. Those cute little fellows are quite noisy.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:59 am

sand flies

The only issue I had was with sand flies. Depending upon the season you go, it's wise to take their warning seriously and use the lotion they provide to ward them off. Those bites won't reveal themselves until hours later, and are pretty awful.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:25 am

Some resorts comb and 'clean' the sand to try to eradicate sand flies - they are the worst ever.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:28 am

Internet , etc connection seems to be restored

Sandflies are the worst but should be rid of them after the storms .. Even cleaner environment now !
Best heed any advice given by Pulo .
We weren't affected.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:51 am

Have had feedback as we are due to go in the next few weeks.
Long closure was warranted due to the damage sustained by surrounding Islands where some of the personnel live & their involvement in the relief effort.
Damage was apparently minimal (beach house and a few bits here and there). All due to be operational this weekend.
Communications restored, albeit with a secondary weak connection. Internet access available in common areas, hopefully in casitas within a couple of weeks.

The main reason for the long closure is to be able to concentrate efforts on supporting the local community, notably because they have a functioning airstrip and direct line of supply from manilla.
If anyone would like to help, they have been working with the Andres Soriano foundation. you can go straight to their website.
Their message remains the same. If you were planning to go, do go and support the industry. So many people's livelyhood depends on it.
If I may add, if you can go the extra mile, please see above or stick with any of your trusted channels for donations.
Happy holidays!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:31 pm

Does anyone have plans to travel to Amanpulo over the next few months from the US? We have a box of medical supplies that were gathered for Dr Rom Gumabon at Amanpulo prior to our trip, which we unfortunately had to cancel. These are items that are needed for the clinic on Manamoc. FedEx gave an estimate of $600 to ship them to the hangar at Manila. If anyone has a planned trip (from the US) and would be willing to check the box of supplies as baggage, I could FedEx it directly to you. FYI, it weighs about 20lbs and measures 21x13x14.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by ruggedfilly
Does anyone have plans to travel to Amanpulo over the next few months from the US? We have a box of medical supplies that were gathered for Dr Rom Gumabon at Amanpulo prior to our trip, which we unfortunately had to cancel. These are items that are needed for the clinic on Manamoc. FedEx gave an estimate of $600 to ship them to the hangar at Manila. If anyone has a planned trip (from the US) and would be willing to check the box of supplies as baggage, I could FedEx it directly to you. FYI, it weighs about 20lbs and measures 21x13x14.
Welcome to FlyerTalk , ruggedfilly !!

That's a real pity you had to cancel especially if you have not been. Amanpulo is amazing !

Has anyone PMed you?

We can start a relay. Planning a trip for Feb myself.
Will check if any Aman team is in the US & returning to Asia ( or SIN HQ )

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.