Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Chain Status and Luxury Travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Hotel Chain Status and Luxury Travel

Something I've been curious about, prompted by a discussion last night with a good friend who holds top-tier status with the various chains:

To what extent do you, as a participant in a luxury hotel forum traveling presumably at least in part for leisure, go out of your way to maintain status with hotel chains either for points redemption or associated benefits?

Personally, I have Marriott Platinum status which was comped for me after 40ish nights in a row at a couple of East Coast Ritz's. I also have SPG Gold, IC Ambassador, and probably a couple other negligible ones as well. However, these rarely if ever factor into my hotel bookings. I tend to select the best hotel in a city for my needs, and book it. The chain is incidental. Moreover, I find I get equal if not better service as top-tier members at these chains simply by reaching out to the GM with a phone call and booking through an FHR/Virtuoso/FSPP scheme. I receive far nicer upgrades, personalized service, unwritten perks, and the like just by making it clear that I'm a discerning guest who appreciates the many facets of hotel operations and who is even happier to maintain loyalty to a specific property. For what it's worth, Four Seasons is the best with this sort of treatment despite not having any real frequent guest scheme outside of By Invitation.

Just curious as to how you structure your travel and booking patterns.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nba1017
equal if not better service as top-tier members at these chains simply by reaching out to the GM with a phone call and booking through an FHR/Virtuoso/FSPP scheme. I receive far nicer upgrades, personalized service, unwritten perks, and the like just by making it clear that I'm a discerning guest who appreciates the many facets of hotel operations and who is even happier to maintain loyalty to a specific property. For what it's worth, Four Seasons is the best with this sort of treatment
global hotel alliance is the only earned status i find interesting

paid status like FHR and LHW can work well

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:14 am
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
I too have Marriott Platinum and SPG Gold. I find the Marriott status offers me one particular perk: an almost always guaranteed upgrade to a 1-BR suite (and access to the club lounge if applicable). However, since 75% of my Marriott stays have been at Residence Inn properties, I almost never see this benefit.

SPG Gold is nearly useless for me. There is only 1 property where I was given a suite upgrade (Le Meridien Dallas Galleria). Otherwise, I might get a 1 category upgrade to a better regular room, but that's not even guaranteed. No free breakfast.

I have given up trying to be loyal. I just don't get enough benefit out of it.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by nba1017
Something I've been curious about, prompted by a discussion last night with a good friend who holds top-tier status with the various chains:

To what extent do you, as a participant in a luxury hotel forum traveling presumably at least in part for leisure, go out of your way to maintain status with hotel chains either for points redemption or associated benefits?

Personally, I have Marriott Platinum status which was comped for me after 40ish nights in a row at a couple of East Coast Ritz's. I also have SPG Gold, IC Ambassador, and probably a couple other negligible ones as well. However, these rarely if ever factor into my hotel bookings. I tend to select the best hotel in a city for my needs, and book it. The chain is incidental. Moreover, I find I get equal if not better service as top-tier members at these chains simply by reaching out to the GM with a phone call and booking through an FHR/Virtuoso/FSPP scheme. I receive far nicer upgrades, personalized service, unwritten perks, and the like just by making it clear that I'm a discerning guest who appreciates the many facets of hotel operations and who is even happier to maintain loyalty to a specific property. For what it's worth, Four Seasons is the best with this sort of treatment despite not having any real frequent guest scheme outside of By Invitation.

Just curious as to how you structure your travel and booking patterns.
Zero with me. I agree that FS is the best even though there is not a formal loyalty program. This might be the work of my travel agent and not FS. Pen does a very good job also. The higher end Starwood-managed hotels are terrible.

Aman doesn't count. Actually, the thought of an 'Aman Loyalty Program' with gold, platinum and silver tiers makes me laugh ...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's really mixed and while hotels won't let you stack benefits that duplicate each other (no double breakfasts!), some will give you the loyalty program benefits as well as the additional FHR benefits when you book an applicable rate. Sometimes I look for Starwoods, RCs, or Hyatt brand hotels that also participate in FHR or (rarely) watch for a combination with LHW. It's best to have such terms clarified and documented.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I have SPG Gold and HH Gold (both with my Amex) and had IC Royal Ambassador in the past. RA wasnīt bad, but if I really think about their are only 2 ICīs I like to stay in (Berchtesgaden and Amsterdam). At all other locations I think their are better options. And I donīt like the second or 10th best
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:50 pm

I used to care about my hotel loyalty status because of the benefits until... i discovered virtuoso and FHR
Like Offerendum, i don't like 2d bests also
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:26 pm

I am also more interested in paid status such as FHR and Leaders Club.

Because I am a leisure traveler and the majority of hotels and resorts I frequent do not have 'loyalty programs' I don't tend to focus on points/status.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 27, 2012 at 2:38 am
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have status in some programs although I don't pursue to maintain them- it happens or it doesn't.

I find Hyatt to be fairly consistent at recognizing benefits including at Park properties which is nice.

Four Seasons has some beautiful hotels and the Virtuoso connection seems to work very well.

Starwood does not have very many properties I consider luxury although I do end up staying at a variety of Sheraton/Westin/etc primarily due to proximity to airports (i.e. Frankfurt is very convenient).

I achieve Hilton status through spend and it is actually quite handy in some places- appreciate the free Internet.

I am not a big fan of Ritz-Carlton and thus have not accumulated much there- I do have a Marriott elite card which has come primarily through business stays over the years (i.e. in Mexico City I tend to use the Reforma Marriott because it has a very convenient location relative to my offices).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.