Scottsdale - best resort??

Old Nov 24, 12, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Scottsdale - best resort??

Looking to do a three or four day getaway. Have searched this forum and there does not seem to be a clear answer. From the pictures I have seen of the FS, it seems fairly mediocre. Thoughts?
Old Nov 24, 12, 7:08 pm

My problem with the FS is it's fairly remote to Scottsdale. If you don't mind driving 20 -30 minutes to "Scottsdale," you'll be fine. The FS is more in a natural setting. Though it's surrounded by upscale housing.

If you want to be closer to the action ie restaurants, shops..but still be in a beautiful setting consider Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, or the Royal Palms.

If you want "party scene" the W would be the place.
Old Nov 25, 12, 12:31 am

Stayed at both FS and Camelback, and kmklint raises good points. FS is well outside Scottsdale, which I found very enjoyable as I just wanted to relax. We had a very nice time.

Camelback is much more in the thick of things, though is quite calm and tranquil within the property. I believe we had a Spa Suite, which was lovely.

My preference might SLIGHTLY lie with the FS, but just because I like being "away from it all", and found the stargazing and peacefulness more to my liking.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed Sanctuary for my birthday weekend when there.

Last edited by aa213bb; Nov 25, 12 at 2:36 am
Old Nov 25, 12, 2:12 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
FS. The rooms are also better IMHO.
Old Nov 25, 12, 6:41 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Camelback got rated down 2013 to 4 diamond, because the bathrooms are too bad.

I stayed at FS. Over all a good resort with nice pool, free cabanas and great cocktails/ food (some iced fruites etc are free) at pool. The rooms are not bad, something is similar to Dove Mountain. I would recommend not to stay on ground floor, it was noisy.

Perhaps Canyon Suites at Phoenician?
Old Nov 25, 12, 10:25 am

FS is very nice, but as others have said, is fairly remote. My choice would be the Royal Palms. Canyon Suites is another great recommendation.
Old Nov 25, 12, 8:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I've stayed at Sanctuary, FS, Biltmore and Princess.

That is the order I'd rank them. FS won't knock your socks off, but is more than fine v

Blue cheese olives at the bar at FS are very good.

Last edited by NYBanker; Nov 26, 12 at 10:06 pm Reason: added a "c" in Princess
Old Nov 26, 12, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Hotelsforlife View Post
Looking to do a three or four day getaway. Have searched this forum and there does not seem to be a clear answer. From the pictures I have seen of the FS, it seems fairly mediocre. Thoughts?
Agree that FS is fairly mediocre. Much prefer Royal Palms and, second to that, Sanctuary.
Old Nov 26, 12, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I actually prefer the Four Seasons because it is remote. It has much more of a desert vibe. It is my clear favorite in Scottsdale. Sanctuary has a very good restaurant though.
Old Nov 1, 13, 12:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Hi all, I'm going to Scottsdale during the NYE holiday and now considering staying either at Sanctuary Camelback or Royal Palms. Which one is more of a adult resort? I know there will still me a lot of families during that time anyway but would love hear your feedbacks on both resorts, food and spa are important!! Thanks
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

I have dear friends who live in the Scottsdale area and we are lucky enough to be their guests. We always seen to have brunch at Royal Palms. Having toured the grounds, and peeked at the accommodations, this would be my first choice. Brunch is wonderful at Royal Palms. Just love the entire ambiance.
Old Nov 1, 13, 9:22 pm

I live in Phoenix and also have stayed three nights at the Sanctuary. The Sanctuary has an LA vibe. I think the Sanctuary has better views looking into Paradise valley, versus Royal Palms. Royal Palms appears more romantic, even though I've only driven by it.

Sanctuary was a 4 - 4.5 experience.
Old Nov 4, 13, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by instyleprincess View Post
Hi all, I'm going to Scottsdale during the NYE holiday and now considering staying either at Sanctuary Camelback or Royal Palms. Which one is more of a adult resort? I know there will still me a lot of families during that time anyway but would love hear your feedbacks on both resorts, food and spa are important!! Thanks
I like both these resorts. Both are adult rather than family oriented and both have very good food & decent spas.

Sanctuary probably has more inventive menus than Royal Palms and they source their produce from mainly organic suppliers, but Royal Palms is a hard one to beat, especially for Brunch, as mentioned here by others.

The spa at Sanctuary is more 'holistic' in that it does energy treatments like Reiki, whereas Royal Palms is more conventional.
Old Nov 4, 13, 12:00 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Thanks for all for the suggestions!! I went with Sanctuary because I think Royal Palms might be a bit "too romantic" for me
Old Nov 4, 13, 1:17 pm

Phoenix/Scottsdale/Paradise Valley

I live in Paradise Valley, and spent many nights in the area before I bought my home. The best way to choose your hotel is by location.

If you want to walk anywhere (and that's a great way to get around this time of year) the Four Seasons and the Sanctuary are out. North Scottsdale is beautiful but remote. I like the Biltmore (now a Waldorf Astoria), or the Hermosa Inn (which I live next door to). The Biltmore is more of a larger resort type hotel with golf and spa, but walkable to shopping and restaurants. The Hermosa is in a quiet neighborhood, and is owned by the same person that owns the Royal Palms. Both are small, boutiquey places but the food is amazing, have nice cocktail hours, both have great outdoor space and rooms are elegant and luxurious.

Feel free to email if you have any questions.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: