FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   London - FHR Hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1404366-london-fhr-hotels.html)

PlatDrew Nov 5, 2012 1:24 pm

London - FHR Hotels

Hello everyone!

I was able to book an incredibly low 60,000 miles award ticket on Delta round trip LAX-LHR. I know it's going to be freezing in December but I want to see Hyde Park during the Holidays.

I'd like some feedback on the Fine Hotels and Resorts collection in London if anyone has stayed at any and what their thoughts are. I've stayed at a few here in the States and have always had a great experience especially in Las Vegas. I know these hotels aren't cheap (London isn't cheap at all) but if it's worth it, I may splurge.

Thanks in advance for your input.

vincentb89 Nov 5, 2012 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by PlatDrew (Post 19629098)
Hello everyone!

I was able to book an incredibly low 60,000 miles award ticket on Delta round trip LAX-LHR. I know it's going to be freezing in December but I want to see Hyde Park during the Holidays.

I'd like some feedback on the Fine Hotels and Resorts collection in London if anyone has stayed at any and what their thoughts are. I've stayed at a few here in the States and have always had a great experience especially in Las Vegas. I know these hotels aren't cheap (London isn't cheap at all) but if it's worth it, I may splurge.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Here is a thread reviewing luxury hotels in London http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ws-london.html . Should be a good starting point with a review of the main contenders and input from fellow flyertalkers.
Most of these hotels should be bookable through FHR (if not, through virtuoso).
Just be careful no matter what property you end up booking. Entry level rooms in London are small (can be closet-like) and upgrade through FHR is upon availability. So if you decide to splurge, in order not be disappointed, don't book the entry room otherwise you may be shocked by what you end up getting !

PlatDrew Nov 5, 2012 2:05 pm

Thank you Vincent

Sunny 1 Nov 5, 2012 6:22 pm

I am not familiar with the "FHR" brand, but we're staying at the Stafford in early December. We love this property - the only place we stay in London. They are a Virtuoso and Andrew Harper property. 60,000 miles from LAX - that is a great deal! Have fun!

ThudAndBlunder Nov 6, 2012 5:54 am

The Stafford is a pretty good shout; steps from Green Park, close to Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Mayfair, Bond Street, Trafalgar Square etc...and the American Bar is great. Also, it's recognisably of London (which may be a feature for some, a bug for others....).

offerendum Nov 6, 2012 10:11 am

Would recommend FS Park Lane. Very nice and modern hotel, near to Hyde Park. But donīt expect too much from Hyde Park

wripro Nov 6, 2012 11:08 am

It depends on whether you want a hotel which typifies London or a generic luxury hotel which could be found anywhere. imo the FS Park Lane is one of the latter. Lovely as it is you could pick it up, plunk it down in most any city and not know where you are. On the other hand hotels like Claridges, the Dorchester or the Connaught (as well as Staffords and Dukes) exemplify London. If you decide against spending that much money I strongly recommend the Covent Garden, a Firmdale hotel which screams London with great service and lovely rooms in the upper categories.

offerendum Nov 7, 2012 4:57 am

P.S. My wife likes Soho Hotel;)

vuittonsofstyle Nov 7, 2012 6:19 am

Covent Garden Hotel - very much of the place and extremely central. Not sure why Hyde Park is an attraction in December?

MikeFromTokyo Nov 7, 2012 6:45 am

Originally Posted by PlatDrew (Post 19629098)

Four Seasons Park Lane^

vuittonsofstyle Nov 7, 2012 7:24 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 19640549)
Four Seasons Park Lane^

That, too! :D

JanePond Nov 7, 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Sunny 1 (Post 19631040)
I am not familiar with the "FHR" brand, but we're staying at the Stafford in early December. We love this property - the only place we stay in London. They are a Virtuoso and Andrew Harper property. 60,000 miles from LAX - that is a great deal! Have fun!

ABSOLUTELY!!! My sentiments exactly. Don't forget to watch the ice skaters at Somerset House.

London is so sparkly at Christmas. Have a cab ride in the evening, just for the decorations. Then have the mulled wine in the American Bar.

My screen saver is the photo of the hotel with the Holiday lights on.

No matter where you stay, it will be magical!!

MSPeconomist Nov 7, 2012 7:31 pm

I love the building and the location of the Hyde Park Hotel, which used to have an impressive afternoon tea with a harpsichord player. However, the rooms and the service are not true luxury at all. It should be considerably cheaper than the top tier contenders as it isn't in the same league. In fact, it reminds me of the Sir Francis Drake in San Francisco.

ADDED. FHR isn't a brand but a program of American Express Platinum/Centurion Travel Service. If you have the right card and book through them (at their program prices), you can get some nice special benefits at a long list of top hotels.

PlatDrew Nov 9, 2012 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 19640455)
Covent Garden Hotel - very much of the place and extremely central. Not sure why Hyde Park is an attraction in December?

The park transforms into Winter Wonderland during the Holiday season.

PlatDrew Nov 9, 2012 6:48 pm

Thank you everyone for your input. Also been looking at a few Starwood hotels... Le Meridien and Sheraton Park Lane.