Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What is the best resort in the Caribbean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Hello -

I'm planning a 7 night trip to the Caribbean in April/May and would love to get feedback. Given this is a subjective question, here's a bit of info on what I'm looking for and a short list of some resorts I've been to.

Unfortunately I haven't had much luck in the past finding compelling Caribbean resorts. At this point the two I'm looking into are Jumby Bay in Antigua and Petit St. Vincent in St. Vincent & the Grenadines. Both resorts were renovated in the past couple years.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- An amazing beach, steps from the room
- Great snorkeling directly at the resort beach (and nearby scuba)
- Location relatively within reach (I'm in California so St. Vincent might be stretching it with kids..)
- Excellent food
- Excellent rooms
- Small resort
- Will be travelling with two small kids (1 & 3 yr old)

Notable list of destination resorts I've been to - for comparison (good and bad):

North Island (Seychelles)

Overall: 5
Rooms: 5+
Service: 4
Food: 3
Beach: 4

One and Only Reethi Rah (Maldives)

Rooms: 5
Service: 5
Food: 4
Beach: 5

Singita Lebombo (South Africa)

Food: 5

Explora (Atacama, Chili)

Rooms: 4
Location & Activities: 5

Four Seasons (Chiang Rai)

Soneva Gili (Maldives)

Overall: 4

St. Regis Bora Bora (Tahiti)

Rosewood Mayakoba (Playa del Carmen)

Maroma Resort (Playa del Carmen)

Cap Jaluca (Anguilla):

Rooms: 3
Service: 3

* This trip was in '03, the hotel doesn't seem as compelling now.

Lizard Island (Great Barrier Reef)

Overall: 3.5

Palmilla (Cabo San Lucas)

Beach: 3

Rock House (Harbour Island - Bahamas)

Liku Liku (Fiji)

Point Grace (Turks & Caicos)

Overall: 1
Rooms: 1
Service: 1
Food: 1

* This is probably the worst hotel (considering price) I've ever been to.

Looking forward to comments.

Last edited by ddm1999; Mar 29, 2013 at 11:28 am Reason: updating hotel list
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie

Amanraya

Happy New Year from St Moritz !
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Ritz-Carlton Dorado Beach
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver; Delta
Peninsula House, Eden Rock

Last edited by Usairelite; Dec 31, 2012 at 5:33 pm
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response GK1998.

Is Amanyara 'all that'? Some friends went there a few years ago and thought it was just okay. I'm also not that big on the Turks & Caicos given my experience at Point Grace..
Old Dec 31, 2012, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddm1999
Caribbean
April/May

Jumby Bay
Petit St. Vincent

amazing beach, steps from the room
Small resort
two small kids (1 & 3 yr old)
another private island is necker, but with kids only oct 27 > nov 2 2013

Originally Posted by ddm1999
Is Amanyara 'all that'?
accommodations, aman service including no signing and staffed residential villas, location
Originally Posted by pinpin
enjoying an Amanyara mojito at the bar while our son is on a nighttime discovery trek with Lindsay (the head of the discovery centre)...best activity my son had in a resort...lessons everyday from 10 till 12 and from 14 till 16 pm and he loves it and he is only 5. We specifically asked for this night trek since we saw it on the brochure and lindsay kindly arranged to go with him.
Originally Posted by Ericka
Since visiting Amanyara, we’ve learned that the Turks & Caicos is not really a snorkel destination. While the water is very warm and currents are few, the best aquatic life here is deeper than 40 feet. We did snorkel though - just off the Beach Club rocks and out on the Northwest Marine Park reef with the complementary snorkel boat. Both locations were OK but it’s really hard to get excited after recently returning from Amanwana.

The diving proved better, particularly for Mr. Ericka who is fully certified. I took the Discover Scuba course with Chester, a funny and patient guy that runs the dive shop. Chester is now a Big Blue employee who used to work for Amanpulo (long story). Mr. Ericka did some of the nearby Marine Park wall dives, of which his favorite was the Amphitheatre. He tells me the dive had good marine life diversity with different fish at different levels and lots of healthy corals. Best of all, each guest was given a dive computer to monitor depth, bottom times, decompression status, etc.

And to dispel the myth that Amans are stuffy…as we were pulling out for a dive one day, Chester noticed two heads bobbing in the water in front of the Beach Club. He hollered, “Hey Fritz, wanna go diving?” Fritz quickly collected his gear and jumped on the boat, and that’s how we ended up diving with the head chef. The other bobbing head was John the GM, so they were probably having a meeting…only at an Aman. LOL
Originally Posted by Usairelite
Eden Rock
depending on budget (more than north island) eden rock has villa nina (other beachfront is diamond suite waterlily)

parrot cay also has beachfront accommodations

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 2, 2013 at 6:25 pm
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:00 am

If you like very remote, I highly recomend PSV. Jumby is nice but right over the path from the airport. While on its own island, Jumby is not remote. PSV- no phones, no newspaper, no TV. An adventure getting there but worth it.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:22 pm

One & Only in the Bahamas. The best beach and water I have seen anywhere in the world, and I've been all over. Just spectacular.

Pluses are that there are lots of great restaurants and entertainment nearby, yet the hotel is very serene. You can relax when you want and party when you want.

If you can afford it, book the 2 bedroom villa with the infinity pool. It is breathtakingly beautiful.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Actually really glad to find this thread....Just watched the 2nd Pirates of the Caribbean on TV last night with my roomates and started lusting over those white sand beaches, and so am now planning a trip someplace like that!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:35 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by speedbird001
Jumby is nice but right over the path from the airport. While on its own island, Jumby is not remote.
Having spent 18 nights on Jumby Bay Island over the last 12 months I really don't find the aircraft such a deal breaker. There are maybe 3 or 4 jets per day that either fly near the island or directly over (but directly over is really rare) It feels very private and remote, while being very close to the airport, thus avoiding a long transfer on Antigua's poor road network.

OP, snorkling off Jumby or Pasture Beach is really not memorable. Then boat you over to another smaller island for snorkling trips.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
For a room on an amazing beach and great snorkeling my top pick would be Caneel Bay. However, I don't know that it will fit your room and dining requirements. I was concerned when we stayed that it would be too rustic and hands-off from a service perspective. It ended up being one of our all time favorite vacations. It truly is a magical place.

A photo tour from our stay last July.

Jumby Bay is another solid choice. You might also consider Round Hill in Jamaica.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Having spent 18 nights on Jumby Bay Island over the last 12 months I really don't find the aircraft such a deal breaker. There are maybe 3 or 4 jets per day that either fly near the island or directly over (but directly over is really rare) It feels very private and remote, while being very close to the airport, thus avoiding a long transfer on Antigua's poor road network.

OP, snorkling off Jumby or Pasture Beach is really not memorable. Then boat you over to another smaller island for snorkling trips.
I agree that the planes are no great deal - not as bad as you get in Bali these days. Great beach, too.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:21 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I like Carlisle Bay on Antigua. The Beach Suites put the beach right outside your room and the F&B is quite good. Very stylish and warm and friendly service.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Here are my observations so far regarding the various hotels mentioned:

Caneel Bay: The beach looks awesome. However the rooms (especially the bathrooms - from the pics on their website) looked terribly dated - in a 70's motel sense. Can someone having been there comment on the rooms?

Carlisle Bay: Looks great. Would that be the hotel to go to vs Jumby Bay if going to Antigua?

O&O Bahamas: Too close to Disneyland...

Eden Rock: Looks great; but to the extent I need to take another flight from St. Martin, I may as well go to PSV... also seems a bit unclear if it would be good with young kids...

Amanyara: Thanks for the additional feedback Kagehitokiri. As much as I said I'd never go back to the T&C, this is probably worth considering given the ease of access to the T&C. Funny though regarding your message from PinPin; I asked a close of friend of mine who visited Amanyara a couple years ago whether he would take his kids - he said no - thought it wouldn't be very kid friendly.

Peninsula House: The hotel looks nice, but it doesn't seem any of the rooms are on the beach. Any other decent options in the Dominican that compare with the best of the Caribbean (and meet my criteria)?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
@ddm1999 - Welcome to FT. Great to see such a thoughtfully prepared question. I think you'll find regulars in this forum to be extremely helpful; lots of first hand experiences.

My Caribbean experiences are filled with strike outs (St Regis, several RC properties), so I don't have much to add to this discussion unfortunately other than places to avoid!

May I ask one question of you: Where will you be traveling from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.