Wiki Posts
Search

the luxury hotels of Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
The way I feel about breakfasts in nice hotels when on vacation is (just slightly) below bhrubin's feelings for air conditioning. I do not think I could stay here just based on the pictures of that buffet.
The egg tray alone was enough of a turn-off.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:41 am

The breakfast buffet pictured here is typical Italian, though probably more akin to a 3* hotel.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Another negative is the fact that as you exit the hotel on the land side, you are on the Strada Nuova, with its masses of tourists and cheap souvenir shops. Agree that Gritti is a far better choice. I had a private tour of Aman and lunch there. I have no desire to ever stay at that Aman.
Yes, the street is quite crowded and not many great places are direct on site. For me it wasn´t a big issue.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by scented
The breakfast buffet pictured here is typical Italian, though probably more akin to a 3* hotel.
I know the legendary Italian breakfast which would often result in heavy protests on many horse paddocks.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
The egg tray alone was enough of a turn-off.
Yeah, a "Highlight" To be fair the one in Bologna nearly looked equally bad.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I´m glad it wasn´t that bad during our visit!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Valveking
Thanks for the review. I found this hotel to be a fabulous value by Venetian standards. We had a lovely stay a couple of years ago. I agree with you about the breakfast although we had a wonderful server every morning who redeemed the average food with her fantastic personality and service.
Service at breakfast was good and agree about value.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think it’s clear that the Gritti and Aman are the nicest properties in town...with the new St Regis coming this winter (renovated from the former Westin) and the Danieli giving Marriott a pretty powerful voice in the luxury arena here.

For the record, even as we ordinarily love Aman, we definitely prefer the Gritti here. No contest for us. The service at the Gritti was easily as wonderful as at any Aman. The Gritti’s Riva bar and terrace, plus terrace Michelin restaurant, not to mention the better location, make it an even easier choice.
Couldn´t justify 3 hotels but I guess next time it could be Gritti. Location is without doubt the most central
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I had a private tour of Aman and lunch there. I have no desire to ever stay at that Aman.
Can I ask why?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:37 am

Offerendum - Just been reading/scrolling through your Italian trip over on the other forum. Marvellous coverage of the various churches, chapels etc. I found the mosaics of Ravenna especially impressive - that's one of the few Italian cultural hot-spots I've not been to.

I stayed at Ca'Sagredo and also at the Baglioni and I Portici in Bologna. I really liked Ca'Sagredo but can't recommend either of the Bologna hotels. We really HATED I Portici and its ghastly sterile decor though we had an excellent dinner at their *Michelin restaurant. The Baglioni was amusing because of its old world grand hotel ambience. Full marks to you for driving into Bologna - we always park at airports and take transport in.

Despite our liking of our dinner at I Portici, overall I think it's a mistake to follow Michelin in Italy - those *** places like the one in Modena strike me as a complete joke. I'd rather have one of those gelatos any day!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Offerendum - Just been reading/scrolling through your Italian trip over on the other forum. Marvellous coverage of the various churches, chapels etc. I found the mosaics of Ravenna especially impressive - that's one of the few Italian cultural hot-spots I've not been to.

I stayed at Ca'Sagredo and also at the Baglioni and I Portici in Bologna. I really liked Ca'Sagredo but can't recommend either of the Bologna hotels. We really HATED I Portici and its ghastly sterile decor though we had an excellent dinner at their *Michelin restaurant. The Baglioni was amusing because of its old world grand hotel ambience. Full marks to you for driving into Bologna - we always park at airports and take transport in.

Despite our liking of our dinner at I Portici, overall I think it's a mistake to follow Michelin in Italy - those *** places like the one in Modena strike me as a complete joke. I'd rather have one of those gelatos any day!
With excemption of Osteria Michelin guided me well, loved Da Vittoria and La Pergola, Le Candandre also very nice. I Portici was also a very nice restaurant, hotel looked very business oriented.

Driving was indeed a mess in Bologna, looking forward which fine I got as it was in the end of the trip and I thought I knew which way to drive. As a base for trips to the surroundings as I used it I definitively can´t recommend it.

Ca´ Sagredo had it´s pros, but I didn´t really get warm with it.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think it’s clear that the Gritti and Aman are the nicest properties in town...with the new St Regis coming this winter (renovated from the former Westin) and the Danieli giving Marriott a pretty powerful voice in the luxury arena here.
Is it too early to tell on whether StR Venice will be "another top contender" mentioned alongside Gritti and Aman?

I wish there were more professional pictures available online of the bathrooms. (And a lot of the rooms as well.). Some of the amateur shots on TripAdvisor look promising (with large marble showers with dual rain shower heads), but it's hard to get a sense of the layout. I wish they had floorplans on the Marriott site.

There's a vast excluded middle ground between the in-room aesthetic of Gritti vs. Aman. All else being equal, I tend to prefer modern but Aman went too austere IMO. I'm interested to see where StR Venice lands in the continuum between "Marriott bland" and "modern with good execution."

Edit: mobile posting mulched all formatting for some reason...
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by david22; Nov 2, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess this is press Gritti is not too happy about. At the moment it's definitely not the time to be in Venice.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...de-in-50-years
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've always been partial to staying at the Danieli and Gritti hotels.

When was the last time either one or both of these two hotels had flooded lobbies?

With rising sea levels over time, I can't but help to expect that this kind of stuff will become increasingly frequent in the coming years.
offerendum likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:43 am

The BBC today specifically mentions the Gritti as being totally flooded on the ground floor. Shocking photos of the city. I know this has happened before and in 1966 the levels were marginally higher than they are today.
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.