the luxury hotels of Venice

Old Nov 13, 18, 11:52 am

Personally I'd avoid all the US chain hotels like the Sheratons (Gritti/Danieli) and support local hotel owners like the CaSagredo. Unfortunately, so many people are on some kind of loyalty/points scheme that they always defer to the chains. And that's a shame, especially as Venice is really threatened at the moment.
Old Nov 13, 18, 12:36 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Please do! I've heard good things.

Also, be aware that Ca Segrado is a member of SLH, which is partnering with Hyatt and therefore might be available to book using Hyatt points (and/or to earn Hyatt points) by end of 2018.
Last time stayed on points in 2009
Old Nov 13, 18, 12:50 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)

Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Personally I'd avoid all the US chain hotels like the Sheratons (Gritti/Danieli) and support local hotel owners like the CaSagredo. Unfortunately, so many people are on some kind of loyalty/points scheme that they always defer to the chains. And that's a shame, especially as Venice is really threatened at the moment.

Perhaps you didn’t realize that Starwood sold the Danieli to an Italian— Giuseppe Statuto- of the Statuto group. He filed bankruptcy in 2017 but was able to pay off the debt this year.

So your thesis doesn’t make much sense. Marriott is just the manager of the property.

Now that he has emerged from Bankruptcy, Statuto is planning extensive upgrades.

(Google Translate)

Old Nov 13, 18, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

venice >

rosewood was private residence until sold in last year

danieli may even be franchise, not managed, as starwood / marriott allows
as noted 'didn't realize' - many of the starwood / marriott sales were recent

and of course aman is a sublease from owner who lives on top floor !

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 15, 18 at 12:58 pm
Old Nov 13, 18, 2:24 pm

Wonder if we will see some recent reports how Aman Venice is doing under Claudia. Aside from some changes (no more Thai menu), I have yet to hear something more detailed, especially concerning AMAN service (standards?!-now) after taking over from Olivia.

Venice definitely needs another major luxury contender to give some of the grand dames a wake up call...
Old Nov 13, 18, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I prefer non chains if possible. There are some of us around
Old Nov 13, 18, 3:33 pm
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I prefer non chains if possible. There are some of us around
The Gritti ostensibly is part of a chain, the Marriott soft brand Luxury Collection. Yet there is nothing chain about the Gritti.

Being part of a chain is no longer necessarily the dreaded quantity it once was, just as being independent (if you can actually find a truly independent luxury hotel these days) is no longer necessarily the guarantee of a bespoke experience it once was.
Old Nov 13, 18, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

venice >

gritti was picked up by qatar and they were the ones who did renovation, same situation as excelsior milan, i think others

a few of us are only interested in one brand (aman) because theyre unlike hotels, not everyone here does 'all of the above'

for me at this point, im not sure i will ever visit that many aman.. but venice (and giri) will always remain of interest to me

independent was never a guarantee at all, but certainly for example R&C and LHW standards may have changed

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 15, 18 at 12:57 pm
Old Nov 13, 18, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
gritti was picked up by qatar and they were the ones who did renovation, same situation as excelsior milan, i think others

a few of us are only interested in one brand (aman) because theyre unlike hotels, not everyone here does 'all of the above'

for me at this point, im not sure i will ever visit that many aman.. but venice (and giri) will always remain of interest to me

independent was never a guarantee at all, but certainly for example R&C and LHW standards may have changed
Aman Venice is unlike any other property I've been to before. There is something very authentic about having original frescos and artwork everywhere. Also the rooms are gorgeous.

I know a few people on this forum are not a fan of the modern B&B furniture, but I kinda think its a nice contrast with the very old and original art and frescos.

I am dying to go to Amangiri though!
Pierre&Cédric likes this.
Old Nov 14, 18, 2:41 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Kimchi278 View Post
original frescos and artwork everywhere
To be fair this is not an Aman exclusive in Venice. But the frescos looks very nice.
Old Nov 14, 18, 9:29 am

I didn't mean to imply that a chain hotel like the Gritti is a bad hotel. I meant that it might be nicer to spend your money with a locally owned business rather than a global US corporation.
Old Nov 14, 18, 9:42 am
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I didn't mean to imply that a chain hotel like the Gritti is a bad hotel. I meant that it might be nicer to spend your money with a locally owned business rather than a global US corporation.
Most hotels are not locally owned either. You are conflating ownership with management. The Gritti is locally managed but owned by Qatar. I think you’ll discover that most of the independent hotels you assume must be locally owned are actually owned by global or foreign corporations and entities.
Old Nov 14, 18, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

venice >

gritti is luxury collection, luxury collection can be managed or not managed
(starwood owned a lot of luxury collection, acquired originally from CIGA)

(luxury collection sep 30 2018 : 59 managed (2 owned) , 53 not managed)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 15, 18 at 12:58 pm
Old Nov 14, 18, 12:25 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
May 12, 2015

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. today announced that it has closed on the sale of The Gritti Palace, Venice to Nozul Hotels & Resorts, the owner of W Doha Hotel, and a wholly owned subsidiary of “Jaidah Holdings” for €105 million (approximately $117 million USD). Starwood will continue to operate the hotel under The Luxury Collection brand flag under a new long-term management agreement.

Similar to when they sold the Danieli 10 years earlier

May 19, 2005--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. announced today that it has signed an agreement to sell the legendary 233-room Hotel Danieli in Venice to The Statuto Group, a prominent Italian real estate holding company, for 177 million Euros (approximately $244 million U.S.). Starwood has entered a long-term agreement to manage the hotel keeping it a member of its prestigious Luxury Collection.
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 14, 18, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks! with that said, management can be terminated at any time.

that is 13.5 years ago for danieli, where owner had to resolve financial problems. as luxury collection allows franchises, they would happily allow owners to convert from managed. some well regarded are actually franchised marriott including luxury collection, RC, bvlgari.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 15, 18 at 3:32 pm

Search this Thread