Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by busy
We did South Africa this year (Boulders and Lebombo) and are in the process of setting up Vic Falls and Botswana. My agent is steering us to Mpala Jena over Elephant Camp there and said forgo Parmashana and just go to Botswana after. She said to do Zafara then Duba Plains then Mombo. We are planning to go in July for the floods. Would you guys swap out Duba for Chitabe?
Can you give me your views on Boulders? We are going in August, then Vic Falls, then to Botswana. Considered Mombo, but opted for Vumbura Plains. Trip is booked, so hoping for positive feedback on all!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:00 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Boulders is great. As a property/lodge, it's second to none. Large, comfortable rooms, great food, and wonderful service. It's heavily built, but that's the case with the majority of S. African camps (unlike, say, Botswana or Zambia.)

Sabi Sands in general will not give you the wilderness vibe that you get from places like the Okavango or Mana Pools, but it's convenient (from Joburg or Cape Town) and among the best places in Africa to see Leopards (along with South Luangwa, Maasai Mara, parts of Okavango and Mashatu in the Tuli Block.)

Last edited by KI-NRT; Feb 6, 2019 at 12:31 am
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting >
Natural Selection Safaris
(some people ex Great Plains Conservation)
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
And now, finally, there is a world-class luxury safari property in the stupendous Naboisho Conservancy. Mara Nyika, brought to you by Great Plains Conservation (known for Zarafa, Mara Plains, Ol Donyo and other top-notch camps.) It would make a great combo with Mara Plains Camp in the neighboring Olare Motorogi Conservancy.
1730 / 3470 4 tent - mara nyika
naboisho private conservancy

zimbabwe - new? good?
private sapi reserve mana pools region
1050 / 1680 5 tent explorers + 3 tent springs
zambezi national park victoria falls
2040 / 3400 4 tent + 2BR - mpala jena

changing subject >
luxurytraveladvisor.com/hotels/namibia-s-andbeyond-sossusvlei-desert-lodge-to-get-a-makeover-2019

also MacMyDay continues to upload photos from ongoing africa trips

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 6, 2019 at 7:33 am
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:41 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Natural Selection has a new camp opening in the Khwai Private Reserve (Tuludi) in July 2019.

We will be staying at Sossusvlei Desert Lodge early next year (it will be rebuilt by then, as you pointed out.) Our first choice was Little Kulala, but it will be closed for a complete rebuild at the time we'll be in the Sossusvlei area.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
interesting >
Natural Selection Safaris
(some people ex Great Plains Conservation)

changing subject >
luxurytraveladvisor.com/hotels/namibia-s-andbeyond-sossusvlei-desert-lodge-to-get-a-makeover-2019
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:48 am

Any thoughts on Angama Mara or Saruni Samburu? Will be during the low season.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:36 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kevincure
Any thoughts on Angama Mara or Saruni Samburu? Will be during the low season.
Can you be more specific when you say "low season"? Comparing November and February in Samburu, for instance, the former historically has TONS of rainfall whereas February is part of the short dry season. Samburu, while beautiful, is better for a people on their 4th or 5th safari, since the big game density is very low in comparison to other areas. If you do want to visit, then going by feedback from fellow safari-goers Saruni and Sasaab seem to be the top choices.

Angama Mara is located up on an escarpment adjacent to the Mara Triangle, and has great views. Have not stayed there, but have been to the Mara Triangle area many times. Great wildlife, but can be crowded even in off-peak season due to the Mara Triangle being one of the National Reserves (and not a private conservancy/concession.) Hard product wise, Angama Mara is the most luxurious of any property I've visited in the region. It's not to my taste, however, as it doesn't exude the bush vibe that I enjoy when out on a safari.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:02 pm

We stayed at Angama Mara July 2017. It has beautiful views of the Mara as it is up on the escarpment. It was fun to see the hot air balloons drift across early in the morning. Food was vey good. Rooms and beds comfortable. Butler service. Draw back was that we were above the Mara so it was a bumpy ride down for our game drives. As our daughter has tremendous joint pain (since diagnosed as Lupus) we only had one long game drive a day. We did see many animals, and were lucky enough to see a lioness kill a young wildebeest. We saw many animals at the crossings, and did see a crossing of many zebra and wildebeest. The rooms and main lodge do not have the traditional camp vibe, more modern Africa. The crowds at the crossings were not as bad as those in the film of Indian Safari by MacMyDay. We could hear many animals prowling around outside our tent at night.
Have not been to Saruni Samburu.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:47 am

We are looking at booking a Singita property from CT and thinking either Boulders or Ebony. We are doing this in February 2020, after a 10 day cruise. Our hope is to do three days Singita SA then up to Victoria Falls or reverse falls first then 3 days Safari. Any advice would help.
Also trying to find a guide for a full day in Cape Town and surrounding area for my husband and I.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Can you be more specific when you say "low season"? Comparing November and February in Samburu, for instance, the former historically has TONS of rainfall whereas February is part of the short dry season. Samburu, while beautiful, is better for a people on their 4th or 5th safari, since the big game density is very low in comparison to other areas. If you do want to visit, then going by feedback from fellow safari-goers Saruni and Sasaab seem to be the top choices.

Angama Mara is located up on an escarpment adjacent to the Mara Triangle, and has great views. Have not stayed there, but have been to the Mara Triangle area many times. Great wildlife, but can be crowded even in off-peak season due to the Mara Triangle being one of the National Reserves (and not a private conservancy/concession.) Hard product wise, Angama Mara is the most luxurious of any property I've visited in the region. It's not to my taste, however, as it doesn't exude the bush vibe that I enjoy when out on a safari.
May. I understand it is the rainy season (though the reports I have seen include many where the rain was not terribly bothersome). My prior is that Samburu is less rainy but that in both cases, being on an escarpment will at lead to good views if a storm rolls in vis-a-vis somewhere in the valley. Have been to camps in S. Africa, Botswana, Zambia, etc., so not the first time. This is for a honeymoon trip so I lean toward modern luxury vs. in the bush (which would also be my normal preference). Thanks for the assistance!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

If wildlife is not a priority at Samburu (which it shouldn't be, especially given the time you'll be there), then you might want to check out Sarara Camp. It's much more remote, incredibly beautiful and has views to match. The cultural interactions there are more authentic as well (the Singing Wells excursion is known to be quite interesting.)

May. I understand it is the rainy season (though the reports I have seen include many where the rain was not terribly bothersome). My prior is that Samburu is less rainy but that in both cases, being on an escarpment will at lead to good views if a storm rolls in vis-a-vis somewhere in the valley. Have been to camps in S. Africa, Botswana, Zambia, etc., so not the first time. This is for a honeymoon trip so I lean toward modern luxury vs. in the bush (which would also be my normal preference). Thanks for the assistance!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:05 am
Aman Contributor Badge

If wildlife is not a priority at Samburu (which it shouldn't be, especially given the time you'll be there), then you might want to look into Sarara Camp. It's much more remote, incredibly beautiful and has views to match. The cultural interactions there are more authentic as well (the Singing Wells excursion is known to be quite interesting.)

Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:04 am

One & Only Gorilla's Nest
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:58 pm

Interesting thoughts on tipping with the gorillas. I always wonder about the more traditional safari lodges in SA like Singita or Great Plains/Wilderness in Botswana. Any insights into tipping there?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
We just finished up more than a week in Tanzania. Overall a very fun and impressive experience. Given we only did national parks / conservation areas, we couldn’t drive off the paths but the landscape and backdrop more than made up for it.

This was also also my first experience with &Beyond and I was really impressed, I imagine that this was Aman like 10-15 years ago. &Beyond is also the only time where I’ve seen the “butler” concept actually well executed (this includes my beloved Lanesborough). You’re assigned one person that takes care of pretty much all needs and with whom you have most of your interactions with so it ensures familiarity and consistency. We had a private driver the entire time and I worked with a travel advisor to ensure we always had private game drives and transportation. This allowed me to dodge a lot of the &Beyond issues that people have had around poor booking schedules. That said my thoughts on properties below:

Lemala Kili Villas - 4 bed villa for us (only two people). Bathroom could use some work but overall very comfortable and a good place to spend the day before starting on the safari. Property comes with house staff to take care of you (fixing up food, walks, starting fires, etc.)
Ang’ata Tarangire Camp - not luxury and I knew this but wanted to do a good down to earth tent experience
&Beyond Tree Lodge in Lake Manyara - very cool accommodations and massive rooms. Rooms are built on stilts so you feel like you’re living in the trees. Food was decent and service was some of the best I’ve ever experienced and hearing baboons scream in the middle of the night is a wicked feeling
&Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge - breath taking location and very good food given location. Our butler, Deo was simply fantastic. Only way I can describe it was that he reminded me of Carson from Downton Abbey. The guy has uncompromising service standards but is so friendly. Also the communication across the team was great, things always seemed to be done on time when we were away / outside the room without ever asking us anything. This is the best hotel experience I’ve ever had and my new number one
FS Serengeti - very good service and probably some of the best FS service but was hard for me to really get into it given the sky high expectations that were set by the &Beyond properties. Good food options, you get an a la carte menu vs fixed menus at other places. Property is small by FS standards but a behemoth at 77 rooms when other lodges are well below half of that.

Really looking forward to my next &Beyond experience!
SanDiego1K and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
We just returned form our first ever Safari and were completely blown away.

We stayed at Silvan in Sabi sands and really struggled to find fault with any aspect of our stay:
  • Food and drink were amazing: Moroccan banquets, bao buns, schnitzel. You name it, the chef nailed it. There were also 40 gins to choose from and staff would ensure that your vehicle was stocked with your preference before the evening drive.
  • The room hardware was beyond reproach. True luxury and a huge amount of space.
  • Service was highly personalised and very polished indeed. cutlery being set left handed, espresso always served with a glass of ice water, side stools for bags and equipment. personalised dining location etc.
  • Only 6 rooms. This gave the lodge a very intimate feel and resulted in us having a private vehicle for 4/6 drives.
  • Our ranger and tracker were extremely professional, friendly and accommodating. In our 6 drives we saw the big 5 but also had a number of exciting and unique sightings: a baby hippo leaving the water and charging a group of water buck. A mother leopard tending to her three month old cub, with its piercing sapphire blue eyes. An adolescent leopard gorging on impala carcass in a tree. A 2 hour chase of a pack of wild dogs, who in turn were being followed by 11 or more hyenas, aiming to steal their kill.
Having heard about safaris at larger camps, where innumerable vehicles sometimes converge on a single animal, our experience of being alone with predators, sometimes within touching distance, was extraordinary.

After this I'm absolutely hooked. I can't wait to go on Safari again. My only worry is that nothing will ever compare to Silvan...
Kilian Zoll, bhrubin and LinLant like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.