Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Did you wear different socks at Lebombo? I hear your socks have special properties.

FWIW, we never experienced anything but supremely comfortable and genuinely fun interactions with staff (and guests) in our 3 stays thus far at Singita Boulders and Ebony. But I might not have been wearing socks.
Singita was a sock free zone.

Just so this does not come across as me being.....well, me, there was another guest we spoke to at Lebombo who had the same experience as us. She assumed that the staff were so overbearing as she was by herself and was quite relieved to discover it was not just her that had an issue with it, and that she was not insane thinking it was completely over the top.

To repeat: we both still had an amazing time, and I would not be put off by going to another Singita property. Seeing that we were out for 10 hours a day on safari, it was only an issue during the evenings, so we adapted to it by playing a game of run-the-hell-away-from-the-staff during these times.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
In addition to Singita Boulders, etc and Singita in Tanzania I have added Zarafa to my list in Bots. The tents are gorgeous and the service and everything about it are first class. We were there summer of 2016 for the first time and already planning to return. Have stayed in mombo a couple of times - great game viewing but camp was not nearly as nice as Zarafa. Mombo is under renovation so expect accommodations may be in better when finished. Also went to Chiefs in 2016 - just completed renovations - individual suites ( mini villas) vs the old tents. Very nice accommodations but food not outstanding and game viewing not as good as in past - but may have been we were there only 6 weeks after re-opening. Camp is also bigger than Zarafa.
Also really like Royal Malewane - gorgeous accommodations and good game viewing, food, wine, etc. yes there is that fence but it's still very nice.
I could go on but those to me are some of the "nicest accommodations". Like others for game viewing like certain mobile tented camps but you will sacrifice the luxury comforts! Also don't forget about Granite Suites at Londolozi. Londolozi shares some of the Singita property but has more and the game viewing can be better....the Granite suites there are very comfortable with all the amenities.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:04 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
I really detested the rooms at Lebombo. It tries to be way too modern and avant garde, with very little attempt made at functionality. For example, the sinks were super shallow and it's laid out in a way where water will definitely spill all over the ground regardless of how you use it. The verandas were very stiff - hard to open and close. Also, the mosquito net requires you to crawl under it each time you want to get in/out. The rooms need to be completely re-thought. They're much smaller than Boulders, too. And did I mention the dining room chairs? They're the type that makes you slump backwards; it's as if the designer never sat in the chair he/she designed!

Chic is nice, but it's not necessary in an African safari lodge. Especially when comfort and usability seems to take a back seat.

Unless Singita has recently rebuilt the rooms, I'd scrap it entirely and start over from scratch.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:34 am

I can't say I'm remotely impressed by Macmyday's photos of Singita Lebombo. It's much too stark for my taste and I did wonder what those screen things are around the pool loungers.

However, I was impressed by Macmyday's rhino photography on his Flickr site. Very clear close-up views of these amazing beasts. I say this as someone who has undertaken traditional, tented safaris over in the years in Kenya, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Tanzania. All those places and I have never seen a rhino in the wild. I guess the ones that were there and hid from me have now been shot by the poachers. Which brings me to this - I believe many of these South Africa lodges, like Singita, are more or less private zoos and you can order up animals on room service.

'I'll have orange juice, scrambled eggs, bacon, espressos and two rhinos please.'
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I can't say I'm remotely impressed by Macmyday's photos of Singita Lebombo. It's much too stark for my taste and I did wonder what those screen things are around the pool loungers.

However, I was impressed by Macmyday's rhino photography on his Flickr site. Very clear close-up views of these amazing beasts. I say this as someone who has undertaken traditional, tented safaris over in the years in Kenya, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Tanzania. All those places and I have never seen a rhino in the wild. I guess the ones that were there and hid from me have now been shot by the poachers. Which brings me to this - I believe many of these South Africa lodges, like Singita, are more or less private zoos and you can order up animals on room service.

'I'll have orange juice, scrambled eggs, bacon, espressos and two rhinos please.'
This is pretty true to some extent. They do have spotters that keep eyes on good sightings so guides can bring guests over if it is of interest. I found this to be true moreso at the TZ lodges but as it was our second visit perhaps it was just more noticeable to us. However we definitely had days when we wanted to see more cats for example and it just didn't happen. We were generally open to seeing whatever came up which makes it easier.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
All those places and I have never seen a rhino in the wild. I guess the ones that were there and hid from me have now been shot by the poachers. Which brings me to this - I believe many of these South Africa lodges, like Singita, are more or less private zoos and you can order up animals on room service.

I will defend Singita here, although I can only do it based on what our guide mentioned.

They own a concession and if animals cross over into the public areas of the park they are not allowed to off road, so they leave them alone and the sighting is lost. This is what happened with that pride of 20+ lions, as they were right on the edge of Singita's land at the time we found them.

They told me that when they opened seeing rhinos was very common and you would find them everywhere, yet due to poaching it has become very difficult. We didn't see one until our 4th day, and that was after spending an entire session trying to, finding tracks and following them throughout the park. On the 4th day, three different groups of rhinos were spotted, with us driving along the road and randomly 2 walking straight past us - the ones you are mentioning in my photos, and the same that we tracked the night before.

I never felt I could just ask for something and it would randomly appear, but the viewing was really spectacular in terms of what we did see. They did not deliver on a leopard riding the back of a hippo and attacking a pride of lions, as I requested.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
They did not deliver on a leopard riding the back of a hippo and attacking a pride of lions, as I requested.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We've seen the Big 5 and cheetah on every one of our Singita Boulders/Ebony stays--though we always have stayed longer (4-5 nights) than the average guest.

Being in a private concession allowing off-road venturing is vastly superior. There's nothing worse than not being able to pursue wherever the wildlife may choose to go. You can't do that in a public park. You pay for it, so you better enjoy it.

While seeing rhinos is wonderful, they don't gore enough to get my blood pumping. I prefer to see big cats and animals that will kill you. Give me hippos any day. Besides, hippos have both my reasonable temper and sense of remarkable patience.

Of course, we don't wear socks with shorts. And certainly never socks with sandals. So the wildlife isn't scared off. Gay sensibilities reign even in the wild, or so I'm told.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

singita sabi sand is private concession in private reserve
singita kruger is private concession in public reserve
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Le bombo and Sweni are both form over function. Pretty to look at but inconvenient to live in. I've stayed at both and definitely prefer Sweni of the two, especially because of its proximity to the river. But neither compares to Boulders or Ebony in terms of the "experience." jmo.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:31 am

Never saw a pangolin despite requests 😂
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:02 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by floridagal23
Never saw a pangolin despite requests 😂
Need to go to Tswalu for that.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Guys what are your thoughts on &Beyond Phinda Rock Lodge ?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
Need to go to Tswalu for that.
I'll add it to the list. We are likely taking a break from safari for the next 5-7 years because we are expecting baby floridagal (our first) next year. So I will be looking at your trip reports for some good options!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by Nizar
Guys what are your thoughts on &Beyond Phinda Rock Lodge ?
We went to phinda a number of years ago. At the time Rock Lodge and Vlei Lodge IMHO were the best of their lodges. Rock being high on a hill and very modern ( if you go make sure to ask for a good view), and Vlei being down on the plains with some nice game viewing from the lodge. We saw a lot of game but it felt kind of like being in a zoo. It just seemed very programmed with fences and all, but that may very well have changed as this was a number of years ago before &beyond managed. We have been back to Southern Africa many times and often do repeat visits at our favorites. We have not been back to Phinda so it may have changed a lot since we were there. But since we haven't returned I can say it wasn't one of our favorites personally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.