Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Guys any updates on this re most luxurious in Africa ?
Want to try something outside of South Africa if possible. And plunge pool is a must
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:03 pm

My experience was that plunge pools on safari were very overrated, as they are not heated and are actually freezing cold since the temps go down so low at night. The pool we experienced was a the gorgeous but now shuttered Shompole, and it was way too cold, plus one morning we woke up to a scorpion in the pool.

I would cast a vote along with other above for Serian, where you get your own private vehicle, guide and tracker - it was a wonderful luxury to to whatever we wanted each day and have everything be a privately curated experience. Serian is not super lux (e.g. no a/c), but it's still pretty incredible.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:41 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Just recently back from Morukuru. Luxury and service factors were off the scale. We had a private house with staff, heated pool that was actually warm enough to use in early June, private driver/tracker. Can't even imagine that the Singita properties could compete at the level of Morukuru.

Definitely worth checking out.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:24 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by xracer
Just recently back from Morukuru. Luxury and service factors were off the scale. We had a private house with staff, heated pool that was actually warm enough to use in early June, private driver/tracker. Can't even imagine that the Singita properties could compete at the level of Morukuru.

Definitely worth checking out.
A little more information please. 😎
Where is this? How is the pricing compared to Singita? Quality of game sightings? Big Five and little guys and birds, too?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
A little more information please. 😎
Where is this? How is the pricing compared to Singita? Quality of game sightings? Big Five and little guys and birds, too?
South Africa: Madikwe. Much, much less costly than Singita.

First time safari, so hard to judge quality, but we saw big five (actually 'big seven' because we saw cheetah and wild dog as well) and most of the ugly five (we didn't see any vultures). More little ones/birds than I can possibly remember (but there were a lot).

Never felt so pampered and spoiled on holiday - and I've been pampered and spoiled a lot!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Is this the property?

Morukuru

I see it has 3 villas. Which one did you have?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:30 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Is Madikwe still malaria free? Would be very good for children.
I've been inquiring with FS Tanzania and Singita Explore for future family safari.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is this the property?

Morukuru

I see it has 3 villas. Which one did you have?
This is the property. We spent time in both owner's house and river house. Both were fantastic spaces.

Originally Posted by Ericka
Is Madikwe still malaria free? Would be very good for children.
I've been inquiring with FS Tanzania and Singita Explore for future family safari.
Yes, still malaria free. I think the park is very popular with families. And the lodge certainly does cater to them. But the best part of having a private home is that we did not have to deal with anyone else's children. So it was perfect for us, but I can easily see how it would be perfect for a family too.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: CX DM
I agree Morukuru is excellent. We stayed at the river house 1.5 years ago with our then-almost-3-year-old and my parents. We were very well taken care of; great food, beautiful huge lodge all for us, great game (and literally didn't set eyes on anyone who wasn't there expressly to look after us for our entire stay). I have referenced it here on FT before. Only thing we didn't see was a hippo (I believe they exist in Madikwe but aren't plentiful). Beautiful lion cubs; rhino; loads of elephant; cheetah. Magical secret garden.

We combined it with Tswalu, which was also excellent, particularly for safari with a small kid. Had an exceptional experience driving along with a wild dog hunt there. Also great lions; up close with meerkats; beautiful leopard.

Both places malaria-free and both with private guide and driver throughout.

I'm actually now looking for our next safari (now with an almost-5-year-old and 1-year-old) worried I won't be able to top Morukuru & Tswalu for the family experience.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Altocumulus
Only thing we didn't see was a hippo (I believe they exist in Madikwe but aren't plentiful).
Correct, we were told the same thing. However, knowing we really wanted to see some, our driver and tracker really tried hard and managed to find us a few.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one thing about singita (etc) is private reserves, singita villas are very expensive

We also stayed at Morukuru in Madikwe on the same trip, also with private vehicles. (we had our then-almost-3-year-old with us so had to have private vehicles. would be difficult to go back to shared vehicles now). Pretty good game there too; very good elephant, cheetah, rhino). My favorite part was that the owners have a private "garden" fenced off within the reserve that you can go in to visit and it is magical, with huge jacarandas etc and sculptures and lawns. hard to explain but quite fairy-tale.
at another one of their villas >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Book a minimum of two nights at Morukuru Ocean House
and receive 50% discount on any additional nights booked
02 Jul - 23 Sep 2016
$1326 then $663 per night for private villa, all-inclusive, guide/vehicle
separately >

Originally Posted by Michael82
The chance to actually get Malaria in the Sabi Sands is close to 0. The last reported case of a Tourist getting it is from over 30 years ago I think?

game viewing to Kurger/sabi sand camps.

Here is a quote from Sabi Sabi (which is from the Sabi sands but probably quite true):

Due to the popularity of the authentic private game lodges of the Sabi Sand Wildtuin and Timbavati over 25 years and longer, in recent times many cattle and sheep farms have converted to game lodge use. Looking for a marketing platform these recent entries into the tourism industry have chosen to propogate a theory that the genuine safari destinations are high risk malaria venues.

the facts speak for themselves
Since the 1970's, over 500,000 guests have visited the private game reserves in the Sabi Sand Wiltuin and Timbavati with ONLY 2 reported cases of malaria, both of whom experienced a very short recovery period. W.H.O statistics sadly include fatalities from impoverished rural areas throughout Africa, without proper medication or hospitalisation. Newly converted lodges have chosen to exploit these statistics to create a "fear factor" by advertising their lodges to be "malaria free" areas.

statistics received from the following private game reserves:
Sabi Sabi - since 1979 there has been one reported case from a guest.
Nottens - since 1985 there has been one reported case from a guest.
No reported cases of malaria from a guest from the following safari lodges-: Djuma, Kapama, Kings Camp, Leopard Hills, Lion Sands, Mala Mala, Royal Malewane, Savanna, Singita, Thornybush and Ulusaba.

the extremely low occurence of malaria amongst guests is also due to these lodges taking preventative measures such as:
Surrounding areas at the lodges are regularly sprayed.
Insecticide is applied regularly to all interior walls.
Mosquito traps are situated around the lodges.
Mosquito repellent for body application is supplied in every room and safari vehicle.
Accommodation is air-conditioned.
Accommodation windows/doors are screened.
Guests are advised to wear long-sleeved shirts and trousers at dusk and dawn and to apply repellent to exposed parts of the body.
As a further precaution guests are advised to use the following medication (after consultation with their doctor)
Malarone, Doxycycline or Melfloquine.

Gail McCann (CEO of SATSA) supports this initiative to correct the negative perception of this so-called "malaria threat" and comments: "Misleading, negative advertising, such as "non-malaria" areas has a negative impact on South African tourism as a whole. I am delighted that these statistics have been released depicting the actual facts regarding malaria at these venues".

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 15, 2016 at 10:06 am
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

malewane - its game reserve is fenced

singita >
are on private concessions
could book sweni as exclusive use (same as / less than malewane royal)
castleton (less than malewane royal)
Families of four or more members, including at least one child under 10 years are guaranteed the complimentary use of a private vehicle.

A supplement of 25% of the adult rate will be added from the third single room onwards.
phinda - in addition to homestead >
The Gettys' home, Zuka house, is only available to Africa Foundation donors.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 14, 2016 at 12:34 pm
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Member

Ericka, I am especially interested in your advice regarding best African safari experience. We'd stay a week or so. We're both a bit clumsy and not terribly fit. Stairs difficult for me. Prepared to spend a bundle. Prefer to stay at one locale rather than change venues.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:35 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I agree Morukuru is excellent. We stayed at the river house 1.5 years ago with our then-almost-3-year-old and my parents. We were very well taken care of; great food, beautiful huge lodge all for us, great game (and literally didn't set eyes on anyone who wasn't there expressly to look after us for our entire stay). I have referenced it here on FT before. Only thing we didn't see was a hippo (I believe they exist in Madikwe but aren't plentiful). Beautiful lion cubs; rhino; loads of elephant; cheetah. Magical secret garden.

I'm really interested in this property. Were the game drives included in the price? Other activities?

Thanks

Last edited by myeurocrush; Aug 9, 2016 at 3:24 am
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KatW
Ericka, I am especially interested in your advice regarding best African safari experience. We'd stay a week or so. We're both a bit clumsy and not terribly fit. Stairs difficult for me. Prepared to spend a bundle. Prefer to stay at one locale rather than change venues.
while i'm sure others will comment re stairs, there is also >

saxon hotel owner started taking bookings for his reserve
including nelson mandela's house (also takes bookings)
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/cd92f194-0...44feabdc0.html
wheelchair-accommodating corridors and grab rails in all the bathrooms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.