Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by tessy143
andbeyond
- 250km2 - 9 xaranna + 9 xudum $650 / $910 (private pools, instead of main pool)
x 8 sandibe $570 / $775 no AC, no indoor shower
x 9 nxabega $570 / $775 no AC, power "most of the day"

what does this mean? Why do you have 2 prices listed and what is x 8 or x 9??

Thanks
The number after the "x" refers to the number of rooms at the camp/lodge.

The two prices are low and high season rates.

But don't pay attention to the prices. That was from 2012. You want Botswana safari inflation? Here are the rates for Sandibe in 2020:

$1140 / $1956. Per person. Per night. And that's generally the rule, rather than the exception.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
The number after the "x" refers to the number of rooms at the camp/lodge.

That was from 2012. You want Botswana safari inflation? Here are the rates for Sandibe in 2020:

$1140 / $1956. Per person. Per night. And that's generally the rule, rather than the exception.
Although safari inflation is undeniable, in fairness, Sandibe has completely rebuilt/remodeled their camp since 2012, so the price also reflects that
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:47 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by in4tar
Although safari inflation is undeniable, in fairness, Sandibe has completely rebuilt/remodeled their camp since 2012, so the price also reflects that
Yes and no. Many camps in Botswana rebuild and remodel every 10-15 years (partially because the maximum lease term for land by safari camps is 15 years.) Tons of top properties (Mombo, Chief's, Duba Plains, Kwando camps, etc.) have rebuilt their camps during the same period.

So in that sense, Sandibe is not an outlier in the Okavango, and the price inflation can not be justified any more (or less) than most other camps.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by tessy143
andbeyond
- 250km2 - 9 xaranna + 9 xudum $650 / $910 (private pools, instead of main pool)
x 8 sandibe $570 / $775 no AC, no indoor shower
x 9 nxabega $570 / $775 no AC, power "most of the day"
what does this mean? Why do you have 2 prices listed and what is x 8 or x 9??

Thanks
I stayed at Nxabega earlier this year. Had power and serviceable wifi the entire time. Food was very good / excellent. Wildlife viewing was outstanding in part due to the drought conditions, which I found counterintuitive not being an Okavango expert.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm finally getting around to organizing a tour that I asked about two years ago. It's September so thinking South Africa and Okavango Delta. Anyone got thoughts on an Okavango Delta lodge? I'll almost certainly do one of the Singitas for SA (in addition to two nights at the unluxurious Skukuza camp, because I also love the self-driving experience).

Thanks in advance.

Also, how does one get from Jo'burg to the Okavango camp -- charter all the way? or first fly to Vic Falls? What's that part cost?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Duba Plains is very nice in the Okavango. The other Botswana lodge I love ( my favorite) is Zarafa - run by same organization as Duba Plains, and in
Selinda Reserve, not the Okavango. Easy to arrange flight between the two.

To get from Joberg to the Okavango or any of the main Botswana lodges you can fly commercially to Maun where the lodges will meet you and fly you by charter to their airstrip. Or you can charter in which case you will have to stop in maun but then can continue on. We have done both. The big advantage to a charter is not having to go through exit immigration in joberg which can sometimes be a very long line. However you can pay for VIP service where they get you through faster. Saxon arranged that for us in the past.

Have fun! Will be a great trip!

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'm finally getting around to organizing a tour that I asked about two years ago. It's September so thinking South Africa and Okavango Delta. Anyone got thoughts on an Okavango Delta lodge? I'll almost certainly do one of the Singitas for SA (in addition to two nights at the unluxurious Skukuza camp, because I also love the self-driving experience).

Thanks in advance.

Also, how does one get from Jo'burg to the Okavango camp -- charter all the way? or first fly to Vic Falls? What's that part cost?
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

I'd definitely opt for Botswana over South Africa. The ONLY reason to go with SA is if you don't want your trip to be all about the safari; i.e., you'd like to combine it with visits to Cape Town, the Cape Winelands, etc. For pure safari awesomeness, however... Botswana all the way.

Mombo, Duba Plains and Zarafa was what we did in our most recent safari. Good contrast in terms of scenery. Only thing missing is the Mokoro rides (none of them offer it), although - to be honest - you do it once and you'll be done with it. If a water-based camp is a requirement, you can swap Mombo or Duba Plains with Jao.

Thanks in advance.

RichardInSF and FlyerEC like this.

Last edited by KI-NRT; Jan 9, 2020 at 9:54 pm
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Thanks in advance.

It has been many years , we transitted Jo ‘ burg to Livingston for Victoria Falls before Botswana . Stayed at Toka Leya Lodge when it was new & the staff were warm with excellent meals . Really enjoyed it & sundowners , etc on the river & walking the falls .

Flying to Okavango Delta , our Kiwi pilot was wonderful & flew over the falls for us - spectacular .

We stayed near Jao which we visited , & which we would have stayed , cannot recall ours though ..

Had to stay overnight in Jo ‘ burg for the return flight .. did not venture out ..

As KI-NRT says , combine with Cape Town / region especially if you think you will not be returning so soon .

Watch out for sand flies !!
RichardInSF likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 9, 2020 at 4:18 pm
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:54 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We stayed at Jao many years ago for the full Okavango Delta experience (mokoro, etc.). It was amazing waking up to the sounds of the frogs and birds. My favorite part of the trip really. We had the honeymoon tent/cabin which was lovely.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:23 pm

Have now booked for September. The suggestion of working through Rhino tours was very helpful, they even came up with a price for the elements I booked that was a bit lower than I could do on my own.

It's been a long time since I've been in Kruger and the Okavango, but I recall loving them both. In addition to the luxury/upscale camps, I tossed in a short stay at Skukuza rest camp (which is hardly luxurious). That's because I remember enjoying the self-drive aspect, it's qualitatively different.

And yeah, I like the mokoros too.
offerendum and SojournsOf like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:30 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
In addition to the luxury/upscale camps, I tossed in a short stay at Skukuza rest camp (which is hardly luxurious). That's because I remember enjoying the self-drive aspect, it's qualitatively different.
This was my first safari experience when I finished university many years ago and lived in SA for a few months. I still rave about it!
Just FYI - it can get really busy around Skukuza, so get up early and get away from the area.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

I tossed in a short stay at Skukuza rest camp (which is hardly luxurious). That's because I remember enjoying the self-drive aspect, it's qualitatively different.
You might enjoy this thread, where I planned a day in the park before heading on to a game lodge. We've got some superb posters in our Africa forum. Johan Rebet outlined a self drive trip for us and it was terrific.

Mixing luxe and grit in the Kruger area: info needed
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You might enjoy this thread, where I planned a day in the park before heading on to a game lodge. We've got some superb posters in our Africa forum. Johan Rebet outlined a self drive trip for us and it was terrific.

Mixing luxe and grit in the Kruger area: info needed
This is quite helpful. I haven't done my homework yet and mainly picked Skukuza because one of its "best" cottages was available the two nights I wanted. Nine months in advance and most of the accommodation is already taken. In a few months I will be asking for help, probably in your thread above.

I've driven between Johannesburg and Kruger before but it was a long time ago. I do remember liking the drive so I decided to do it again instead of flying.

I am renting a Toyota RAV4 from Avis, do these come with GPS? I sure hope so but I think having paper and/or laptop maps is an essential backup as I know there won't be mobile signal everywhere.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jan 16, 2020 at 7:34 pm
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:59 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I am renting a Toyota RAV4 from Avis, do these come with GPS? I sure hope so but I think having paper and/or laptop maps is an essential backup as I know there won't be mobile signal everywhere.
Downloading offline Google maps should be okay! You just select and area and it saves to your phone for 30 days I think. Mobile coverage should be pretty good actually.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Pinging this thread to see if anyone has been to any of the lodges in recent/COVID times, with SA opening back up recently. We were forced to postpone our plans from summer 2020 to what will be a summer 2022 trip now, I couldn't be more excited.

Changing the original plans though, now deciding between Lion Sands River Lodge and Ulusaba (Rock/Safari?) In addition to a couple nights higher north at (not luxury) Shindzela.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.