Ahwahnee @ Yosemite over NYE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ahwahnee @ Yosemite over NYE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

That is exactly the suite that I was hoping to book.

I suppose that I should just be happy to have reserved a "Classic Room" given how late I planned this, however it would have seemed so much more special to be in that 2nd Floor (JFK) Suite with large parlor windows and fireplace and surrounding views of the valley.

I doubt the hotel will make any special exceptions for us at any cost, because I called and spoke with a GM the other day to inquire about possible downgrades for compensation and she'd told me that she never heard of such practices before. Again, I think it's understandable. In all fairness, while I did write that cost was not a factor, I could probably only offer in the area of 2k additional incentive if the hotel was willing to explore this with other guests. All featured rooms are booked solid and I doubt anyone who has currently reserved the Presidential Suite would be interested in giving it up over New Year's for an added 2 grand and lesser room. I could be wrong, who knows...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 7:17 pm

Stop worrying I'd say - with the right attitude (good mood) and spending the money you save on creating something special your girlfriend will be surprised.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Just to update: I was able to book into the Library Suite thanks to an amazing Virtuouso agent who really helped me out -- can't wait!!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks for the update. Now, she better say "yes."
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

In the itinerary which my amazing TA booked, she included a "half-day Hummer tour" with Crossroads, and I wanted to get some feedback and advice from folks on this forum, as I can't seem to find any reviews on TripAdvisor or elsewhere. 2 days prior to this trip, my girlfriend and I will be driving 6 hours roundtrip (each way) from S.F. to SoCal to visit her family in Orange County over the holidays. Upon returning, we'll have a single day to rest (she's working actually!) and then driving 3 hours to Yosemite. My girlfriend gets carsick on long rides, and I don't particularly enjoy seeing nature and wildlife from the window of a big expensive luxury machine. It seems kind of backwards and pointless to me. However, given that it will be end of December and the weather conditions might make access to the park somewhat restrictive, I wonder if this is necessary to see parts of the park that we otherwise wouldn't be able to enjoy? I also wonder if it's truly worthwhile? We will be spending 4 nights in the Park and have no other plans, apart from a NYE gala dinner, and a half-day snowshoeing at Badger Pass. I would like to ski as well, if possible. Otherwise, I'd just planned on exploring the park by foot, and taking in the primal beauty and pristine wilderness of Yosemite the "natural way". I'm not sure if the Hummers are allowed into the High Country at this time of year (I would really only be interested if that were the case) but it otherwise seems a bit in contrast with my intentions for this trip, as I'm really seeking the allure of a rustic and unsophisticated return to the John Muir-like romance of Yosemite Valley and the picturesque splendor of nature without any modern distractions. This is what I hope to share with my girlfriend as it would seem the most fitting and genuine way to advance our relationship and love together, and I know that she would appreciate this experience and hold on to these memories the most. So my question is: what is the Crossroads Tour all about and should I cancel this portion of the itinerary; even though it's only a half-day? I have no interest in driving through areas of the park that could easily be hiked. We don't plan on scaling rocks or doing any serious trailblazing, but if we can spend 4 days covering the Valley w/o big loud SUV's and avoiding crowds, that would be ideal.

Can anyone tell me more about this, and has anyone experienced one of these Hummer Tours? http://xroadstours.com
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
Don't know anything about the tours, but I know you won't be able to go to the high country in a Hummer. You will need skis and a lot of time and energy.

It depends how civilized you like it, but really you can go all around the valley by the bus or on foot. This is nice because you set your own plan. It's pretty amazing without anyone driving you around telling you about it. If the weather is nice plan to walk a lot or rent bike. If the weather is not nice, sit by the fire.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much, you've reaffirmed my thoughts then! The last thing I want to do is be driven around in a big modern machine by a stranger rattling off information and spoiling the beauty of nature and the feeling of intimacy and selusion of being alone with my girlfriend in the winterland of Yosemite. It all seems so unappealing and unecessary; the only reason for consideration would be if it allowed us to access parts of the Park that we otherwise couldn't easily reach on foot. That not being the case, I'm going to cancel it and spend the money on champagne and room service instead!

Thanks so much for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.