Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz, here I am not coming...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Ritz, here I am not coming...

I booked my reservation two months ago for Washington, DC property. Since that time, I had nothing but negative experience either with phone conversations with the property and the reservations/reward departments or the reservation itself. I wanted to use my Club Level upgrades which came with RC card; moreover, I wanted to stay at a very comfortable property. They messed it up, they couldn`t answer questions about promo, they were rude on the phone...The JPM Concierge corrected the reservation afterwards (but what if I wouldn`t have had the card and was a regular guest?) I wasted several hours of my life on pre-arrival experience, and I am hesitant to go there. It seems like they don`t offer evening food either, only desserts, their complimentary car does not drive guests on the weekends, they might be limited on Bulgari amenities...I wanted to stay there so bad, but now I am inclined to savings of $700 and stay at Crown Plaza instead (hopefully Platinum gets me breakfast and possible upgrade, and I can buy really nice dinners and full-sized Bulgari for that difference in $!).
The legendary Ritz is a history. With a great leader, Horst Schulze, leaving the company, the Ritz lost what it was a benchmark for others-unbeatable service.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Kat007
I booked my reservation two months ago for Washington, DC property. Since that time, I had nothing but negative experience either with phone conversations with the property and the reservations/reward departments or the reservation itself. I wanted to use my Club Level upgrades which came with RC card; moreover, I wanted to stay at a very comfortable property. They messed it up, they couldn`t answer questions about promo, they were rude on the phone...The JPM Concierge corrected the reservation afterwards (but what if I wouldn`t have had the card and was a regular guest?) I wasted several hours of my life on pre-arrival experience, and I am hesitant to go there. It seems like they don`t offer evening food either, only desserts, their complimentary car does not drive guests on the weekends, they might be limited on Bulgari amenities...I wanted to stay there so bad, but now I am inclined to savings of $700 and stay at Crown Plaza instead (hopefully Platinum gets me breakfast and possible upgrade, and I can buy really nice dinners and full-sized Bulgari for that difference in $!).
The legendary Ritz is a history. With a great leader, Horst Schulze, leaving the company, the Ritz lost what it was a benchmark for others-unbeatable service.

So don't stay.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I wanted to stay there so bad
It's unfortunate that you had to experience these events with this hotel. I know you were looking forward to stay at this hotel as you discussed in the thread below. It sounds like opportunities to stay at luxury properties are rare for you. I would just give this hotel a pass. There's nothing remarkable about this property. I would wait for another opportunity where you can stay at real special property.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...uette-etc.html
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by francophile
It sounds like opportunities to stay at luxury properties are rare for you. I would just give this hotel a pass. There's nothing remarkable about this property. I would wait for another opportunity where you can stay at real special property.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...uette-etc.html
I prefer to stay at nice properties and have stayed at some Fairmonts, Intercontinentals, Omnis, etc, so I wanted to try something exceptional (from my previous post, you know that RC was in many case studies and presented by my professors). The service gap is humongous in reality, and I will make a report to my professors so they stop misleading about "Ladies and Gentlemen serving Ladies and Gentlemen". One day I will stay at Capella, or even better, will work for them.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:47 pm

I prefer to stay at nice properties and have stayed at some Fairmonts, Intercontinentals, Omnis, etc, so I wanted to try something exceptional (from my previous post, you know that RC was in many case studies and presented by my professors). The service gap is humongous in reality, and I will make a report to my professors so they stop misleading about "Ladies and Gentlemen serving Ladies and Gentlemen". One day I will stay at Capella, or even better, will work for them.
With all due respect, having not stayed at the Washington Ritz--or any, if I can infer such from your previous posts--I think it's a bit harsh to criticize the entire brand with such venom, particularly if you intend to present such findings as legitimate academic research.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One day I will stay at Capella, or even better, will work for them.
re capella, besides negative reports >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post10167471
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post10176816

FYI >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ml#post8859216
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nba1017
With all due respect, having not stayed at the Washington Ritz--or any, if I can infer such from your previous posts--I think it's a bit harsh to criticize the entire brand with such venom, particularly if you intend to present such findings as legitimate academic research.
Pre arrival experience is a part of the service, the front door if you wish. Not once, not twice, and not even three times, I have experienced careless attitude from different departments. I do not want my fellow students to have wrong picture about the contemporary RC as I had. Besides, I want to get to the bottom of the problem-was it Marriott who did the damage, lack of suitable human resources, increased expectations, or something else. Here is a topic for my future PhD.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Thank you. The posts were from four years ago, hopefully it`s on right track now. Most recent reports favor NYC, Singapore, and Mexico locations as the top level in hospitality.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

only trust reports in this forum.

you see that a capella/west paces employee posed as a guest and personally attacked a regular poster here? while at work. and i highly doubt an employee would do that without being directed to, unless it was a mgmt level person. not to mention they went on to lose/drop mgmt contract. (and others)

re "fake" posts in general - i have seen even senior execs post ridiculous stuff, including making positive comments about themselves while posing as 3rd party (literally "what a great/smart guy") all on account that is registered to their corporate email address. (then later allegedly threatened to sue if their posts and replies werent removed, and the posts/replies were moved off public site)

aman is anti-institutional
FS hires for attitude
that kind of thing is "top level"
but it all varies by property and region

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
and >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ry-hotels.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...formation.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ry-hotels.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:02 pm

Pre arrival experience is a part of the service, the front door if you wish. Not once, not twice, and not even three times, I have experienced careless attitude from different departments. I do not want my fellow students to have wrong picture about the contemporary RC as I had. Besides, I want to get to the bottom of the problem-was it Marriott who did the damage, lack of suitable human resources, increased expectations, or something else. Here is a topic for my future PhD.
You're missing the point. Pre-arrival experience may very well be a part of a hotel and an integral one at that, but your comments here don't reflect the wide variation--both positive and negative--you'd get from staying at a wide variety of Ritz-Carltons in the US and internationally. Simply put, you have no basis for claiming anything about "the contemporary RC," and it's exceptionally misleading to others who read this board for information to suggest that you do.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nba1017
You're missing the point. Pre-arrival experience may very well be a part of a hotel and an integral one at that, but your comments here don't reflect the wide variation--both positive and negative--you'd get from staying at a wide variety of Ritz-Carltons in the US and internationally. Simply put, you have no basis for claiming anything about "the contemporary RC," and it's exceptionally misleading to others who read this board for information to suggest that you do.
Obviously, you are missing the whole point. Staying at a property, as well as after the stay communication -all are part of the experience. Thus, I have basis for my claim.
P.S. Read about components of service for the beginning, then we can discuss further; until that, there is no point for me to respond to you.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:37 pm

Obviously, you are missing the whole point. Staying at a property, as well as after the stay communication -all are part of the experience. Thus, I have basis for my claim.
P.S. Read about components of service for the beginning, then we can discuss further; until that, there is no point for me to respond to you.

Well, some things simply can't be learned from books. I suggest you actually stay in a luxury hotel before you tell others who have what to expect from them.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
+1000
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I wanted to use my Club Level upgrades which came with RC card...
Did you make your reservation through the Ritz Rewards reservations line? This is the way you need to redeem your Club upgrades.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is complaining but doesn't even specify which Ritz. There are, of course, two in downtown DC, one in Arlington and one at Tysons.

Looking at OP's questions in his recent threads, sounds as though he's never stayed at such a property, doesn't know anything about it, has made up his mind pre-arrival and wants to tell everybody else.

He should stay at the Crowne Plaza as he suggests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.