Barcelona: Mandarin Oriental vs. Hotel Arts vs Majestic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona: Mandarin Oriental vs. Hotel Arts vs Majestic

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, AA Exec Plat
Hi, MSPEconomist and vuittonsofstyle.

Thanks for the feedback! Did you stay before or after the renovation last year?

Off to look at the Claris...

Vuittonsofstyle, can you define what about the MO knocks the socks off everything else? I'm trying to gauge whether this is a 2 chocolates vs. 3 at turndown service difference, or whether it's something different.

Last edited by PandaPal; Nov 26, 2012 at 9:31 am Reason: Consolidated feedback into 1 post.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PandaPal
Hi, MSPEconomist and vuittonsofstyle.

Thanks for the feedback! Did you stay before or after the renovation last year?

Off to look at the Claris...

Vuittonsofstyle, can you define what about the MO knocks the socks off everything else? I'm trying to gauge whether this is a 2 chocolates vs. 3 at turndown service difference, or whether it's something different.
Much earlier.

Be sure to consider the place in two buildings almost across from the Majestic. There's also another hotel that looks good in the E...(can't spell it) neighborhood closer to the Diagonal and just off the opposite side of Pasea de Gracia from Majestic and Claris. I wish I could remember names better. There are further interesting boutique hotels in this neighborhood that look very nice.

IIRC the Claris burns incense every day in their lobby and since the hotel has an atrium built into a historic building, it permeates the building. This might be an issue for someone.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by PandaPal
Thanks, MikeinTokyo.

I have definitely seen the love for MO on this forum! While I love my Mom and price is almost no object, I still want to see if I can get the best value for my money. Thus, I'm wondering if for the same amount of money, I can get a better experience at the Majestic (or El Palace for that matter).
If price is almost no object, I really don't know why you would look beyond Mandarin Oriental. The level of service, the rooms, the restaurants (Moments just received its 2nd Michelin star) really added to our stay in Barcelona. The location was excellent. I would only reiterate that the room was on the smallish side but if you get a suite, you wouldn't have to worry.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, AA Exec Plat
Thanks, xray.

The key word in my comment was **almost**. As much as I love my mama, I unfortunately am not in an income bracket that would render price considerations trivial. I'd be looking at the cheap seats at the MO.

I'm still trying to understand how one quantifies or defines "service." We're not particularly high-demand guests who need things every two seconds, so I'm trying to tease apart the perceived differences between 4-star and 5-star service and see if those apply to me and my mom.

Perhaps this is not possible.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:20 am

I will visit Barcelona soon myself and have actually been looking for hotels in the same area: Passeig de Gracia (I thought it seemed convenient since the airport train stops at that station).

Anyway, our price range is probably not the same - I am looking for a quite normal 4 star hotel - however in my search I came across both the MO and El Palace.

Many people here seem to advocate for MO, which I have no reason to doubt. But not so many have written about their experiences with El Palace. Just by judging from pictures however the style seem to be quite different. The MO appears very modern while Palace has an elegant Fin de siècle-air to it. Perhaps your mother will be happier with the latter.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Hi, all.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I just got back from a wonderful trip to Barcelona and ended up going with the MO. Like everyone said, I was not in the least disappointed. They took great care of my Mom and the rooms were not as small as I thought.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Ritz Carlton Stars, Mandarin Oriental Fan Club
Another good option is the Casa Fuster Hotel - and I agree about finding a Virtuoso agent to help you make your reservations wherever you stay!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:43 pm

MO has a great location and the design is outstanding. However, I don't particularly like the bathrooms in the rooms and suites. The one advantage Arts has over the MO is the beautiful views of the Mediterranean from the Club Lounge. The rooms are starting to show their age. If you don't stay on the Club level, there is a wide service drop off and the lobby is way too crowded and touristy. The walk along the beach to the city centre on a nice day is a great.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:58 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Blackbook
MO has a great location and the design is outstanding. However, I don't particularly like the bathrooms in the rooms and suites. The one advantage Arts has over the MO is the beautiful views of the Mediterranean from the Club Lounge. The rooms are starting to show their age. If you don't stay on the Club level, there is a wide service drop off and the lobby is way too crowded and touristy. The walk along the beach to the city centre on a nice day is a great.
Have an upcoming stay at Hotel-Arts in an Executive Sea View Suite.

I noticed :

Hotel was built in 1994
Rooms were renovated in 2014
Can anyone speak to the quality of the room renovation?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Have an upcoming stay at Hotel-Arts in an Executive Sea View Suite.

I noticed :

Can anyone speak to the quality of the room renovation?
I have not stayed since they did the third renovation in 2014, but I did stay after the second renovation, not too many years before that. It totally transformed the rooms and suites - they even re-did the bathrooms, with all new fittings. I still would not go back there, though - it is simply too big and although the sea views are impressive, once you go out of the hotel, the area is very run down and not somewhere you would want to walk. The MO on the other hand is in a superb location and you can walk to many of the historic sights. It is also the best hotel by far in Barcelona.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I have not stayed since they did the third renovation in 2014, but I did stay after the second renovation, not too many years before that. It totally transformed the rooms and suites - they even re-did the bathrooms, with all new fittings. I still would not go back there, though - it is simply too big and although the sea views are impressive, once you go out of the hotel, the area is very run down and not somewhere you would want to walk. The MO on the other hand is in a superb location and you can walk to many of the historic sights. It is also the best hotel by far in Barcelona.
Points all very well taken.
My only "slight" issue, is that our rate (FH&R) for a suite in July (4 day weekend) is 550€ per night at the Hotel-Arts. Looks like the MO rates (to book into a suite); even a junior suite exceed 1200€ per night (larger suites, seem to be trending even higher). Perhaps though, I am mistaken.

Considering our Marriott Platinum Status and FHR benefits; not sure I want to pay x2 for this weekend trip.

Of course, if you are booking a regular room; it looks like a "no brainer" to book the MO as room rates are about the same.

We are beach/view people; so the location doesn't really bother us. But, after your comments, I am pondering our decision.....
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:50 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
One thing to note with the Hotel Arts is that due to the nearby hospital there are a lot of ambulances coming and going all through the night. There is significant noise bleed into the rooms and suites so while the views are very nice it can be a problem for light sleepers.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Of course, if you are booking a regular room; it looks like a "no brainer" to book the MO as room rates are about the same.
The gerbil rooms at the MO Barcelona make anything below a suite completely unacceptable. These rooms are REALLY small. This photo here, for example, doesn't show that the room basically ends at the foot of that bed. I will never return unless I'm willing to shell out the >$1500/night for a suite. And DO NOT assume that you will get an upgrade on any program such as Virtuoso (et al). Upgrades don't happen at this hotel.

Barcelona is a city that desperately needs some competition in the luxury segment.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
The gerbil rooms at the MO Barcelona make anything below a suite completely unacceptable. These rooms are REALLY small. This photo here, for example, doesn't show that the room basically ends at the foot of that bed. I will never return unless I'm willing to shell out the >$1500/night for a suite. And DO NOT assume that you will get an upgrade on any program such as Virtuoso (et al). Upgrades don't happen at this hotel.

Barcelona is a city that desperately needs some competition in the luxury segment.
Thanks. I need some major convincing to spend 1200€+ per night for a Jr. Suite; though, perhaps, with FH&R the room upgrade is a potential. Perhaps, I'm mistaken, and it's worth it. I guess, to even consider it, I'd now have to start looking at all of my other options north of 1000€/night for comparison purposes.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I've really enjoyed the apartments at the Majestic. They're in a separate building across the street, well appointed, and well-priced for the space you get.

http://www.majesticresidence.es/en/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.