Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel in Colombo, Sri Lanka?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Best Hotel in Colombo, Sri Lanka?

We will be spending one afternoon and night in Colombo before heading to Tea Trails, then the Amans after Christmas this year. What is the best hotel in Colombo? I have read about the boutique hotels Paradise Tintagel, Casa Colombo, and Park Street. There is also the Regency Wing at the Galle Face but it might be in poor condition. Any recommendations? Nothing so far looks great I must say!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:24 pm

Look for all things Bawa when in Sri Lanka. I would stay at Jet Wing Beach, Negombo, as its one of Geoffrey Bawa's hotel designs that gives you a sense of place. Its right on the beach and close to the airport. Rooms and service are fine, but like it from a design point and the pool and beach are best when you need to be near the airport or on your way to Tea Trails.
Go to www.geoffreybawa.com and under Works, then look at early years you can see the home that Adrian Zecha owns in Bali he designed. Also under Work look at Hiatus and see unfinished projects that look very Amanresorts. Sorry for getting off track and rambling........

Last edited by zigzag; Aug 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm Reason: adding possilbly unneeded info
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You could check this thread for some ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...sri-lanka.html
For just a night the Hilton (although nothing spectacular and not really luxury) isn't bad.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Thank you all for the feedback! It seems not a real luxury hotel in Colombo! We are there overnight on our way to tea trails, amangalla, and amanwella. I think we will do the Tintagel as it seems to be the best? I think the drive is shorter and it will I've us the chance to see a former business colleague/ friend! The other close choice was the Wallwwaa which is close to the airport, but I think in the morning further from tea trails! Still debating as would prefer to stay on the best so if anybody wants to weigh in great! Zigzag, jetwing looked good but even further away it seems!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:50 am

The problem with the Hilton is that the rooms should have been renovated 10 years ago.

For the most reliable, cleanest although a business hotel; I would try the Cinamon Grand.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:37 pm
Suspended

In my view Hilton Colombo Hotel is the best hotel in Colombo.It is the affordable hotel also.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Located in the heart of Colombo City, Unique Towers Luxury Boutique Suites is the best affordable hotel in Colombo.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
There is no luxury hotel in Colombo. I stayed at The Wallawa and found it an attractive boutique establishment. Not as many amenities as the Hilton or Taj Gateway, the other two places I have stayed there, but not bad at all, with an attractive pool area, spa, comfortable rooms with very modern bathrooms, and decent food. The service was actually good, too, to meet my basic needs.

It also has the benefit of being close to the airport, so you can better plan your transportation.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:00 pm

While it isn't overflowing with character, I'd go with the Cinnamon Grand in Colombo. It's clean, centrally located and a great option for a quick overnight.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:44 am

Any updates on Colombo Hotels? Someone recommended the Tintagel to me.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:01 am

Are you staying for awhile or just one night? I know many people arrive on a middle of the night flight and then leave Colombo the next morning. For that the Cinnamon Grand is convenient, especially if you are taking the train.

I've heard the Tintagel is very nice and modern.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:16 pm

Staying for 2 days. Stayed at the Hilton a few years ago. It was a dump then and I understand it is still a dump.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird001
Staying for 2 days. Stayed at the Hilton a few years ago. It was a dump then and I understand it is still a dump.
TAJ club level was just refurbished.

Park Street good hard product- service very laid back (too laid back for me).

Cinnamon Club level jr. suite or balcony suite Lakeside is good for service and F&B and I like the location (although more 4* than 5*).

Whatever you do please stay away from the Kingsbury which is my worst stay experience of 2014 by a long shot.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Park Street good hard product- service very laid back (too laid back for me).
I used to stay at Park Street, really liked location and vibe. I'm headed back next Nov and unfortunately see it is closed for renovations!

BTW, is there a thread for more boutique luxury hotels in LK? I see Park Street owners have three other properties, know of Jetting properties and other usual suspects, but was wondering what's new and hip. Particularly on east coast and north, where I couldn't safely venture during the civil war. Any pointers?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephem
I used to stay at Park Street, really liked location and vibe. I'm headed back next Nov and unfortunately see it is closed for renovations!

BTW, is there a thread for more boutique luxury hotels in LK? I see Park Street owners have three other properties, know of Jetting properties and other usual suspects, but was wondering what's new and hip. Particularly on east coast and north, where I couldn't safely venture during the civil war. Any pointers?
East Coast Jetwing has a great very small (4 room) property.

Boutique Luxury hotels in Colombo? People seem to love "Casa Colombo" however while it is nice I don't think it can fall into the luxury area. The 2 Amans are supposed to be good- this being said while I agree with 1 the other in Galle really treated me rudely and I would not go back there. That said- there are tons of very good Boutique hotels in and around Galle although more at the 4* level than luxury. We stayed recently at Galle on 44 and it was excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.