Ritz Carlton Berlin not the best

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A/A LifeTime Platinum 3MM; Lifetime Admiral's Club, Star Alliance Gold

This hotel fell short of our expectations for luxury in Berlin. The décor, while not cheap, is not exactly chic and is somewhat tacky for my taste. The bathrooms have pink marble everywhere, except the counters and shower floor which have a cheap imitation acrylic material, a surprising choice for a Ritz Carlton. The “knickers” worn by the male bar staff, kimonos for the females, and other staff costumes seem out of place in Berlin. During our stay, there were many guests in Middle Eastern dress in the hotel and public areas which contributed to the bazaar atmosphere.
We were disappointed that the housekeeper left someone’s used bandage stuck on our shower bench for three days. We were curious why she would miss such an obvious and unsanitary item, but then never saw her in our room to ask. Turn-down service was also missed on two of the three nights. Yes, I did complain to the hotel and they replied that they were having some problems in the housekeeping department. Charges for printing boarding passes and the $20 USD daily fee for Internet are irritating for a hotel of this level.

The included buffet breakfast was wonderful and the 6-minute soft boiled eggs were perfect. One more positive note is the location across the street from a train station with a huge underground shopping area with food courts. There are also two full scale grocery stores down there. Nice when you have had one too many meals away from home. Except for this underground shopping, the area is not that convenient for site seeing and the decent dining scene is a very long walk.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
so where would you recommend?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A/A LifeTime Platinum 3MM; Lifetime Admiral's Club, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Golden
so where would you recommend?
I have only been to Berlin a few times and it is not my favorite destination in Germany. We had several excellent meals in the Gendarmenmarkt area and we will look for hotels nearby there next time. The Regent, Sofitel, Hilton, and Westin looked good as we walked by but we did not go inside. I recommend dinner at Aigner and we ate both a lunch and a dinner at Augustiner am Gendarmenmarkt.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:55 am

R-C Berlin has not been the hotel of choice for ages.

Best options now are Hotel de Rome and Soho House. Grand Hyatt is also very good, especially its Vox restaurant.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
R-C Berlin has not been the hotel of choice for ages.

Best options now are Hotel de Rome and Soho House. Grand Hyatt is also very good, especially its Vox restaurant.
What about The Adlon?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Loved Hotel de Rome !
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by laf747
What about The Adlon?
Personally, I hate the Adlon. Much too 'corporate' for me. I guess it would work if you were part of a convention.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:25 am

Personally, I hate the Adlon. Much too 'corporate' for me. I guess it would work if you were part of a convention.
I stayed there only once five years ago. I was by myself and not part of any convention. The suite was beautiful and I thought the food and service were at the luxury level. I also enjoyed the spa and you can not beat the location.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Best options now are Hotel de Rome and Soho House.
Soho House is fun, if you do not mind a kind of LA atmosphere (especially at the pool).

Certainly not for everyone
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Soho House is fun, if you do not mind a kind of LA atmosphere (especially at the pool).

Certainly not for everyone
No, I agree that Soho House is not for everyone. I did not expect to like it at all, but ended up really appreciating the lack of penny pinching, the warm service and the surprisingly good food (especially breakfast). Huge rooms and suites, too.

Hotel de Rome is a more conventional choice and has a great location, too.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by outpaddling
I have only been to Berlin a few times and it is not my favorite destination in Germany. We had several excellent meals in the Gendarmenmarkt area and we will look for hotels nearby there next time. The Regent, Sofitel, Hilton, and Westin looked good as we walked by but we did not go inside. I recommend dinner at Aigner and we ate both a lunch and a dinner at Augustiner am Gendarmenmarkt.
Historical part Gendarmenmarkt area/Friedrichstrasse (all hotels you mentioned above are first quality, The Regent is a top luxury address with 5th time 2* Michelin guide awarded restaurant, the Hilton recently very nice renovated and best choice location and quality for that price in my eyes) with neighbouring Unter den Linden (Adlon, de Rome, both the very best hotels in Berlin) is first choice in Berlin for dining, sightseeing, culture (famous museums, music events), also Hackescher Markt/Hackesche Hoefe in the near (all "Mitte"). Very nice atmosphere, sitting outside in the really good restaurants with view on the historical domes and buildings. When I came the first time (as West German) here some years after reunification I fell in love immediately with that area.

Kurfuerstendamm ("Kudamm") area "City West" has been trying to get back its somehow lost reputation through investments (luxury shops, luxury hotels, banks, renovation of buildings) which have been also supported by the public and has remained still very attractive for shopping (e.g. KaDeWe shopping mall) and dining. The new Waldorf Astoria at Gedaechtniskirche will be the top address here, Intercontinental also nearby.

Potsdamer Platz square (Sony Center, Ritz-Carlton, Grand Hyatt, Marriott ...) for many Germans has remained a giant misconstruction, impersonal and artificial. I would not recommend to stay there.

Alexanderplatz square with the broadcast tower is not so bad as many think. Lot of renovations, many good hotels like Radisson around there, prolongation of Unter den Linden, not far from museum island and Hackesche Hoefe.

I am German from Munich region and come more often to Berlin for business reasons.

Last edited by submonte; Aug 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.