Wiki Posts
Search

South-East Asian delights, Part II; Amankila tripreport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Senator
South-East Asian delights, Part II; Amankila tripreport

This report follows part I with St. Regis Singapore & Amanjiwo.

After a 1h flight or so from Yogyakarta we stood ground on Bali. As we arrived with a domestic flight there was no meet&greet upon exiting the aircraft but after retrieving our luggage we were warmly welcomed (in the most thankful way you can imagine) by a lovely Aman representative. Fellow flyertalkers who were welcomed by that person will certainly recognize who I`m talking about. We thought he was absolutely fantastic and were happy to see him back after our trip when he assisted us to check in our belongings for the return flight.

We arrived at Amankila in the dark and were quite excited to be there, we were warmly welcomed but as in Amanjiwo no management nearby. No harm done, we quickly settled in our lovely suite. As we were unpacking 2 staff members came by with local snacks and a lovely ginger welcome drink. We then headed towards the main dining room to discover we would be the only ones there. The vibe was so tranquil and we absolutely love how peaceful this resort was. As you can imagine, service was attentive and there was more than enough staff on hand to assist us with anything we needed. In the days to come we received dozens of cold/hot towels before during and after our meals, always refreshing.

Turn down

The next day we were lucky with stunning weather (in fact, we didn’t have one cloudy day in our entire trip) and after breakfast we headed towards the beach pool to discover again we had the whole pool for ourselves. Where was everyone? The resort sure wasn’t empty because the next evening there would be a dance performance with local children and at least another 15 couples enjoyed the show with us. Of course we didn’t mind the calmness and we had a great time with the two of us. During the afternoon charming Tracy came by to check on us in a very natural way which was appreciated. There was a yoga session in the afternoon… And we were the only ones showing up. Later that evening, we had drinks in the bar with the elephant and enjoyed another lovely local diner. Besides the extensive menu there is a daily menu which is very recommendable.

The `must have` picture

Main dining restaurant

Local kids performance

The next day we spend entirely in our suite next to our private pool. These suites are so private that there is no need to wear any clothes at all. When the guests are having breakfast, staff comes in the suite for housekeeping and they prepare your sun loungers complete with towels, ice water, sun cream etc so the only thing one needs to do after breakfast is dip in the pool to refresh and relax… absolute heaven on earth ! That day we ordered room service for lunch which was promptly delivered. Exactly as we wanted, great temperature, we couldn’t fault a thing. Around sunset we had arranged for massages in the privacy of our suite. Two lovely ladies arrived with their equipment, rose pedals and massage tables were spread out on our terrace and we enjoyed one of the best massages in our (still young) lives. The ladies noticed we were a bit sunburned and called someone to come over with fresh aloe vera leaves to cover us with. And sure it helped!

Pool suite

Suite entrance

Wandering around

The next day we went rafting. Great excursion I would definitely recommend any future travelers! We were driven there in an Aman car, we took the scenic route and for sure scenic it was. The rafting itself was amazing. They use small rafts with only another couple, the two of us and a guide. Nature on the way is absolutely stunning we thoroughly enjoyed the sportive side of the day too. Our lovely driver was already waiting for us upon arrival and after a quick shower we were back in the car to Amankila to enjoy the rest of the day lounging near one of the pools. That evening, the hotel was hosting a –what looked- amazing wedding party. If we were living any closer we wouldn’t have to look any further for a wedding venue as the place looked stunning. Unfortunately it might be a bit too far away to get everyone there we want. The ceremony took place on the beach and the diner venue was set up near the beach club pool. White flags everywhere, a live band… It was great to see the excitement from the staff and I`m sure the evening was a great success. No noise or other nuisance at all… au contraire, it was great to be `part` of their special evening.

Last mention on the hotel architecture. Ed Tuttle is such a talented architect and again he did an amazing job designing this resort. Also kudos to everyone at Amankila who helps to maintain the stunning beauty of this resort. The suites are not tired at all in our opinions and it really does look nicer in real than on pictures. The only place we felt could you use with an update is the semi open air breakfast place. If you would look at it without looking left or right, one could think you are in some 3* Spanish Iberostar. Getting rid of the mirrors and change the old fashioned green plants with white orchids would already show a totally different picture. Just our thoughts of course.

The next day… unfortunately it was time to leave this magical place. Luckily we still had Amanusa to look forward to. And sure they did not disappoint. Unexpectedly, Amanusa would prove to be the biggest revelation of the trip.

Few last shots

Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:29 pm

Wonderful report with beautiful pictures. Thank you!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thank you for taking the time to post your very nice pictures and report, it brings back fond memories of our visits to Amankila. I hope you can share more about your stay at Amanusa sometime. I doubt I am alone in my curiosity about how it has changed with nearby construction as well as having had Sean F. take over last year!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

another great report and pics ^

thanks for interesting shots of event setups

Groombridge agreed re amanusa in his report
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:24 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Can't wait for more!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Wonderful report. Many thanks. It reminded me that every day, 365 days a year, someone is enjoying Amankila....very nice thought indeed.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: Amex Plat, FHR, SPG
Fantastic! We are going in October and I can hardly wait.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Excellent report! Amankila is indeed a very nice resort.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:03 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I think that I found answers to the question I raised in another thread by looking at your pictures.

I was wondering about the outside area of the Amankila pool suite. In the normal suites, the lounging area + dining table (= the outside area) are by the entrance which means less privacy. It looks as if this is different in the pool suites, i.e. that there is no outside area by the entrance, but everything is around the pool. Is this correct? Where do you exit from the villa to the outside pool area?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Senator
Originally Posted by Musken
I think that I found answers to the question I raised in another thread by looking at your pictures.

I was wondering about the outside area of the Amankila pool suite. In the normal suites, the lounging area + dining table (= the outside area) are by the entrance which means less privacy. It looks as if this is different in the pool suites, i.e. that there is no outside area by the entrance, but everything is around the pool. Is this correct? Where do you exit from the villa to the outside pool area?

You are right, the set up of the pool suites is not comparable with regular ocean and garden suites (who offer not that much privacy). Most, if not all, pool suites are entirely walled on the side of the pathways, as you can see on one of the pics. In our villa, when exiting the villa you have the standard daybed and outside table with front view on the pool, loungers etc. Great set up and guaranteed 100% privacy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.