Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmanZoe (Greece)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 5:11 am

Anybody have a recommendation for a water ski place for a first lesson?

Does the beach club have JetSkis?

No surfing nearby right?
Old May 10, 2017, 5:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Anybody have a recommendation for a water ski place for a first lesson?

Does the beach club have JetSkis?

No surfing nearby right?
The hotel offers something with a company in Porto Heli, Mario watersports. Here's what the activities list had for 2016
Water Skiing Just 7 kilometers away from Amanzoe, you will find Mario water sports, the best water skiing school
in Porto Heli. A place of unrivalled beauty for learning water skiing and having fun with highly qualified instructors. The quality and the status of the water is always ideal.
Slalom for all levels, from beginners to professionals, tricks, water hover board, wake board and for families a fun inflatable mattress.

The school offers training and full equipment for all ages and levels.
Option #1 approximately 15 minutes

Water skiing 40 per person

Option #2 approximately 15 minutes

Wake board 50 per person

Option #3 approximately 20 minutes

Water hover board 80 per person

Option #4 approximately 15 minutes

Inflatable mattress (maximum 5 persons)
30 to 100 depending on the number of the persons,

Private transfers to and from Porto Heli .
No jet skis from what I recall.

Definitely no surfing at Amanzoe. Not sure about further off.

Fdw

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; May 10, 2017 at 5:42 am Reason: Mobile site sucks
Old May 10, 2017, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
The hotel offers something with a company in Porto Heli, Mario watersports
Thanks, I'm assuming a lot cheaper to book directly via one of these companies
Old May 13, 2017, 9:35 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat
Just back from a week in Greece - 1 night Athens Grande Bretagne, 4 nights Santorini - Katikies Hotel and 4 nights at Amanzoe. Our stay at Amanzoe was incredible - really exceeded expectations. Will write up more detailed reviews over the next week.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:42 pm

At Amanzoe now
Old May 15, 2017, 1:08 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chelsea2
Just back from a week in Greece - 1 night Athens Grande Bretagne, 4 nights Santorini - Katikies Hotel and 4 nights at Amanzoe. Our stay at Amanzoe was incredible - really exceeded expectations. Will write up more detailed reviews over the next week.
Hope you add your experiences at Katikies as well since we will be there this sumer.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:12 am

I'm on day 3 of 5 on my 5th Amanzoe visit and wanted to drop down some thoughts on it.

I last visited in 2015 and wrote, what I think was my first ever trip report, on these forums. I mentioned how I was disappointed at some of the minor service blips. Well, 2 years on and they're still there, but in abundance. It seems to me that Amanzoe is only worth visiting and experiencing the "true" Aman service if you do not go during full occupancy. Seeing that they are almost fully booked between June > September, that does not give you much choice in the matter. The resort is closed ~5 months of the year, so they should be used to dealing with full occupancy, but instead it seems they're staffing at off-peak levels.

So here's some thoughts just jotted down:
  • 5th time visit, yet they still cannot get the stay list setup perfectly. The fruit bowl containing mostly bowl and a lack of fruit, would have looked suitable in a Holiday Inn. They also asked for my passport, credit card number and signature of yet another waiver on arrival, even though I've done it all before. I was in Park Hotel Vitznau about 2 weeks ago and they particularly impressed me when I offered my credit card and they declined it as it's a stay based on trust.
  • There are still a lot of long-term staff here, which is always fantastic to see. Sven, the GM, is ever present and a very hospitable host.
  • I always loved the food here, but the pastry chef has now gone and with him my glorious French toast and all the amazing desserts. I also always considered the food prices reasonable, but now the portions are tiny and the prices similar to Mayfair. In fairness, they did source the ingredients for my beef salad that I always loved, which is no longer on the menu.
  • Housekeeping used to be a myth, as you'd never see them, but only once have we not bumped into them, even though breakfast takes hours to get through. They forgot to refill the minibar last night as well. I've stayed here before where housekeeping has been in 5 times a day, and whilst that may be excessive, setting your minibar always stocked is a beautiful thing. That's no longer the case. All these tiny points just add up to making an Aman experience simply the same as other, lesser properties.
  • There are no preferences remembered. Gone are the days where I sat down on the first meal, asked for lemon with my water and every place I went thereafter it was there. Day 3 and no one can remember what type of water we want, even though we always ask the same and it's even written on our stay list. The same goes for every preference of what we ask for: butter, bread, types of drinks.
  • Service is incredibly slow. I've always been lenient with Amanzoe, as there's not exactly much to do here and therefore why the rush? Yet there are limits. 20 minutes for a glass of water to arrive when we cycled down to the beach in 25C heat, just isn't acceptable. Ordering food and them bringing every meal together is just weird planning. With the fact that staff keep forgetting things, it's hard to know at what point to ask whether it's on the way or remind them about it.
  • At breakfast it's so badly disorganised, with us counting 7 different waiters bringing things to us. How can you personalise service if you have that many interactions with staff? It's somehow organised chaos. The orders are frequently wrong and they bring things in such a weird order that it's clear they've just forgotten, such as bringing bread baskets nearly 30 minutes after sitting down. Missed orders has become the norm of the stay. Just ordering an apple juice and orange juice, they bring the apple juice, ask who it is for, then bring the other juice another 10 minutes later. It's like there's no management here.
  • Down by the beach, no one has ever come and asked us if we wanted anything. When we did ask for some water and a juice, the water arrived and then when we went off hunting for it, the waitress just didn't understand so didn't bother asking and just ignored it.
  • We cycled back from the beach to the resort, which for any of you who have been there, know it's nearly 6km and uphill, so is quite frankly a bit of a ........ They never supplied any water on the bikes for the trip.
  • We found half a plastic lid in the yoghurt from the buffet - not exactly child friendly.

This is my girlfriends first Aman, with her having stayed at Iniala and Ani Villas in March, and she said that there is absolutely no comparison and would not consider another Aman based on this stay. DSI will be giddy with joy.

I still consider it an incredible property and I've no doubt I'll end up coming back, but I have been to enough other resorts to know that it can and should be better, especially at this price point. The hard product is what makes this place amazing, but it used to be the service as well.

I love the smell of plastic in the morning.

Last edited by MacMyDay; May 31, 2017 at 9:32 am
Old May 31, 2017, 8:39 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Such a shame a property of that caliber is not paired with service at the same level. I wonder if the rumours I read in the Bodrum thread about Amanzoe is to blame.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:29 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

That's a real bummer to hear. Wonder if there are further behind the scenes issues....

fdw
Old May 31, 2017, 9:33 am

We are also here this week (though due to timing will probably just miss you sorry!) and I have to concur - while the hard product is stunning the service really disappointed me.
  • Service was similarly slow. At the beach club we always had to ask and were never offered. Contrast this with Amanera where while the service might not have been as polished, they were trying much harder and proactively offered drinks, frozen snacks, etc - and this was shortly after opening when staff were clearly still learning.
  • On the first day we ordered room service when we arrived and then later went out to dinner (the Asian menu at the pool restaurant which we found to be poor). We were out for a couple of hours and yet when we came back the room hadn't been made and the remnants of lunch were still there. This wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that there are insects in the room. We called housekeeping to ask to take this away, thankfully they arrived quickly enough and then asked if we had finished with the food
  • Our room wasn't cleaned while we were at breakfast either, although we haven't seen this at the any of the Aman's we've been to.
  • I asked if they had a certain type of beer before arriving and was told yes they have plenty of that, it was even stocked in the minibar - wow, great! However trying to ask for the beer at any of the restaurants or beach club was met with confusion, even after finding the specific name and explaining that I'd just like the same one that is in our minibar.

Again visually the resort is incredible and despite the above we are having a lovely time, I was just hoping for more given past reviews and the price point.

I wish there were more options for a beach resort with good service that doesn't require a 6+ hour flight from the UK. I'll likely try Sveti Stefan later this year and am assuming it will be a step down from Amanzoe but would still like to try it out.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:05 pm

Grand merci to both MacMyDay and jctrav. Now if you would forward this report to Sven while being a guest on property, we would get live updates how this plays out & his efforts to fix things... sadly, by the sound of it, they sound a bit deeper than usual and will take an effort to get under control. Really wonder about Aman recently..
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:45 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Mac: You're getting stuck with too many chain hotels, i.e. Aman! I've had better service at the one Hyatt, a convention center Hyatt no less, and the only Hyatt I've ever been to than I did at Amantaka.

And Amanyara, those clowns lost my reservation and then when I tried to reconfirm I was offered a steep upsell. A complaint to them was simply ignored. That's motel 6 service.

Perhaps the only Aman I'll stay at henceforth will be giri, and that's simply for the location and because the building looks cool.

You spoiled her with Iniala--she's a goner. I know that the two of us had great experiences there but chinmoylad didn't, which I found surprising.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jctrav
We are also here this week (though due to timing will probably just miss you sorry!) and I have to concur - while the hard product is stunning the service really disappointed me.
  • Service was similarly slow. At the beach club we always had to ask and were never offered. Contrast this with Amanera where while the service might not have been as polished, they were trying much harder and proactively offered drinks, frozen snacks, etc - and this was shortly after opening when staff were clearly still learning.
  • On the first day we ordered room service when we arrived and then later went out to dinner (the Asian menu at the pool restaurant which we found to be poor). We were out for a couple of hours and yet when we came back the room hadn't been made and the remnants of lunch were still there. This wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that there are insects in the room. We called housekeeping to ask to take this away, thankfully they arrived quickly enough and then asked if we had finished with the food
  • Our room wasn't cleaned while we were at breakfast either, although we haven't seen this at the any of the Aman's we've been to.
  • I asked if they had a certain type of beer before arriving and was told yes they have plenty of that, it was even stocked in the minibar - wow, great! However trying to ask for the beer at any of the restaurants or beach club was met with confusion, even after finding the specific name and explaining that I'd just like the same one that is in our minibar.

Again visually the resort is incredible and despite the above we are having a lovely time, I was just hoping for more given past reviews and the price point.

I wish there were more options for a beach resort with good service that doesn't require a 6+ hour flight from the UK. I'll likely try Sveti Stefan later this year and am assuming it will be a step down from Amanzoe but would still like to try it out.

I know it is not of the same caliber but if you like the Greek Peloponnese you might try the Westin Costa Navarino outside of Pylos. ( fly nonstop from the UK to Kalamata) We spent 3 days there recently...beautiful resort right on a miles long beach. Food okay service excellent.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:08 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Two poor experiences in the space of a week! Had a guest there just earlier in May who had a wonderful time but I don't think it was at 100% occupancy (running close to it though).
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:17 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by david55
I know it is not of the same caliber but if you like the Greek Peloponnese you might try the Westin Costa Navarino outside of Pylos. ( fly nonstop from the UK to Kalamata) We spent 3 days there recently...beautiful resort right on a miles long beach. Food okay service excellent.
Romanos is adjacent to the Westin and is part of luxury collection. We stayed there and were happy to find a property of this calibre in that part of Greece. However, be aware that the two hotels combined are a very big resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.