Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel on Mauritius?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:50 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Anyone with recent stay/feedback on Four Seasons here? Trying to book a client in Mauritius for May and typically go the way of Seychelles instead so don't know this market as well. FS Mauritius looks okay, not special but again, judging based on photos alone.

Thanks in advance for any insights!!! Cheers!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Anyone with recent stay/feedback on Four Seasons here? Trying to book a client in Mauritius for May and typically go the way of Seychelles instead so don't know this market as well. FS Mauritius looks okay, not special but again, judging based on photos alone.

Thanks in advance for any insights!!! Cheers!
Four Seasons Anahita is perfect for families, but if you are booking a couple in, then they would be better at Constance le Prince Maurice, which is a stunning resort, especially if they take a pool villa.

The Four Seasons runs very well but it is quite a big property for this island and is very spread out. The Villa homes are the best here and if your clients take one of these, then the experience will be good.

You will find that even today, Mauritius has a package-tour flavour and that even Four Seasons offer half and full board packages, which is unusual for them.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:25 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Four Seasons Anahita is perfect for families, but if you are booking a couple in, then they would be better at Constance le Prince Maurice, which is a stunning resort, especially if they take a pool villa.

The Four Seasons runs very well but it is quite a big property for this island and is very spread out. The Villa homes are the best here and if your clients take one of these, then the experience will be good.

You will find that even today, Mauritius has a package-tour flavour and that even Four Seasons offer half and full board packages, which is unusual for them.
Wonderful to know!! Thank you so much, @vuittonsofstyle !
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Any specific part of Mauritius that works best in August? We are deciding between the Four Seasons and St Regis with the latter preferred because we have a lot of points to burn and few opportunities to do so at decent hotels.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Any specific part of Mauritius that works best in August? We are deciding between the Four Seasons and St Regis with the latter preferred because we have a lot of points to burn and few opportunities to do so at decent hotels.
In August, the wind comes from the east and south-east, which is where Four Seasons Ananhita is. St Regis is on the south western coast, so is probably less windy during August.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:17 am

Having just returned from a trip to Mauritius where we stayed at the St Regis and the One and Only, I would caution against the St Regis. It has a fantastic location if you are a kite surfer / surfer with world class kitesurfing just beside it but the service at the hotel was far from luxury and the management just don't seem to care. We were eligible for the VIP Platinum a la carte breakfast and despite there only being one other couple in the restaurant with us, it took 45 minutes to get a coffee and bread and a further 30 minutes for our a la carte hot options to arrive. The GM just shrugged when told and essentially said "this is Africa, you must understand" - other places in Africa/Mauritius offer great service so it is no excuse. Similarly, the beach is very rough - you need shoes to walk on it and the sea very shallow and corally so difficult to swim in. In every regard, the One and Only was in a different league.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller
Having just returned from a trip to Mauritius where we stayed at the St Regis and the One and Only, I would caution against the St Regis. It has a fantastic location if you are a kite surfer / surfer with world class kitesurfing just beside it but the service at the hotel was far from luxury and the management just don't seem to care. We were eligible for the VIP Platinum a la carte breakfast and despite there only being one other couple in the restaurant with us, it took 45 minutes to get a coffee and bread and a further 30 minutes for our a la carte hot options to arrive. The GM just shrugged when told and essentially said "this is Africa, you must understand" - other places in Africa/Mauritius offer great service so it is no excuse. Similarly, the beach is very rough - you need shoes to walk on it and the sea very shallow and corally so difficult to swim in. In every regard, the One and Only was in a different league.
Sounds very underwhelming
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:30 am

Although St Regis is less windy at that time of year, I would rather brave a storm than stay there - should have mentioned that in my previous post!
Epicura likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Although St Regis is less windy at that time of year, I would rather brave a storm than stay there - should have mentioned that in my previous post!
She´s a fan
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
First time in Mauritius, we are currently at the One&Only Le St Géran, after staying 3 nights at the Shangri-La Le Touessrok. The Shangri-La is a very good 4-star property with warm, relaxed service, though it might not meet the standards of a true luxury hotel for most on this forum. We enjoyed this property very much, considering the low price point. Although both properties are located on the east coast, I'm told by a One&Only empoyee that the Shangri-La gets more wind during this time of the year than the One&Only. The One&Only is a beautiful property, after renovation in 2017. The service is exceptional and the rooms are beautifully designed. It appears that they get many return guests. We met an Irish couple currently on their 9th visit in 18 years.

I agree that the beaches in Mauritius aren't as beautiful as the beaches in photos I see of the Seychelles. However, the very affordable rates at the wonderful One&Only Le St Géran may draw us back again next year.
Epicura likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:07 am

Whilst you are at the O&O, would you mind and ask about weather/wind/rain in July or August? I am reading lots of different opinions and not sure what to expect. West Coast (StR, Oberoi) is known to get less wind and rain but perhaps the difference is not that big in the end versus O&O? Sure I could e-mail or call the hotel, but they will likely not recommend to stay away or book the Oberoi 😉
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by Epicura
Whilst you are at the O&O, would you mind and ask about weather/wind/rain in July or August? I am reading lots of different opinions and not sure what to expect. West Coast (StR, Oberoi) is known to get less wind and rain but perhaps the difference is not that big in the end versus O&O? Sure I could e-mail or call the hotel, but they will likely not recommend to stay away or book the Oberoi 😉
I'd second that request! Much appreciated!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:32 am

I asked one of the hotel managers this morning about the weather contrasts between the east and west coasts during July/August (winter). He agrees that the west coast is slightly less windy and rainy than the east coast. He said that the weather on the east coast in July/August will be similar to what we are experiencing now (albeit a few degrees cooler), which is light breezes and a little rain (a couple of hours during our 5 night stay). I'm typing this sitting on the beach and my phone says the wind in my current location Belle Mare is SE 15mph
Epicura likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by francophile
I asked one of the hotel managers this morning about the weather contrasts between the east and west coasts during July/August (winter). He agrees that the west coast is slightly less windy and rainy than the east coast. He said that the weather on the east coast in July/August will be similar to what we are experiencing now (albeit a few degrees cooler), which is light breezes and a little rain (a couple of hours during our 5 night stay). I'm typing this sitting on the beach and my phone says the wind in my current location Belle Mare is SE 15mph
Thanks, highly appreciated. Extra question, if I may: "my phone says the wind in my current location Belle Mare is SE 15mph". What does the phone say about temperature (C° if possible because that's what the locals would refer to)? Just asking because of the "albeit a few degrees cooler". Sorry for the trouble, we are just trying to make sure you can start a new career as a weather boy/girl .

Would you return during Winter, based on your experience now?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Epicura
Thanks, highly appreciated. Extra question, if I may: "my phone says the wind in my current location Belle Mare is SE 15mph". What does the phone say about temperature (C° if possible because that's what the locals would refer to)? Just asking because of the "albeit a few degrees cooler". Sorry for the trouble, we are just trying to make sure you can start a new career as a weather boy/girl .

Would you return during Winter, based on your experience now?
To clarify, the exact words from the hotel manager was that the weather in July/August would be "a little cooler" than it is in mid-June. My interpretation of his comment would be that it would be a few degrees cooler. I could be wrong but that would be my assumption. Sorry if my statement was misleading.

This is a fantastic resort. The service here is exemplary. Yes I would absolutely come back in winter (though technically, it's still late autumn?). In fact, I'm already starting to plan dates to come back in June next year. My only complaint which is certainly of no fault of the hotel is that while they have an excellent children's program, there were very few children around my daughter's age (4 years old). Therefore, whenever I dropped off my daughter at the kids club, it really should be called the kid's club, my kid. My daughter did get one on one attention from the kids club staff (sometimes two on one) and the scheduled activities proceeded even if my daughter was the only participant.

Here's yesterday's weather information from the hotel's daily bulletin bottom left hand corner:
Epicura likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.