Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Hotel on Mauritius?

Best Hotel on Mauritius?

Old Oct 7, 21, 2:28 pm
  #136  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BOS, YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 13,589
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
If you want to avoid little kids, then Mauritius is probably not for you, as it is extremely child-friendly, with some of the best kid's clubs in the world. However, I find that Constance Le Prince Maurice is the most adult of all the resorts - very stylish and yes, with a large swimmable pool. The Villas have small private plunge pools, too. It is a much smaller property than most, with fewer rooms/suites, so this helps in terms of intimacy and elegance.

Anantara is very new, but is extremely well done. However, i think it is more family-friendly than Le Prince!
We'll be in SA anyway, so the hop to Mauritius was palatable for my SO, who'd refuse to step onto a small sea-plane. We're also looking at Mahe (just the main island), but AFAIK the main draw of the Seychelles is island hopping, so to me it feels wasted to go to the Seychelles and then just stay on Mahe. So saving that for another time and going with Mauritius this time. This will be a September trip, so hopefully all the kids will be in school! Thanks for the info, we'll focus on Prince Maurice then! Though the Shangri-La beach looks very tempting, I have to say... (And the Virtuoso benefits obv.)
Smiley90 is offline  
Old Oct 8, 21, 5:20 am
  #137  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MAN DXB ✈️
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 6,710
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
We'll be in SA anyway, so the hop to Mauritius was palatable for my SO, who'd refuse to step onto a small sea-plane. We're also looking at Mahe (just the main island), but AFAIK the main draw of the Seychelles is island hopping, so to me it feels wasted to go to the Seychelles and then just stay on Mahe. So saving that for another time and going with Mauritius this time. This will be a September trip, so hopefully all the kids will be in school! Thanks for the info, we'll focus on Prince Maurice then! Though the Shangri-La beach looks very tempting, I have to say... (And the Virtuoso benefits obv.)
shangri la with ilot mengine is great, we love it there
m3red is offline  
Old Oct 25, 21, 5:03 am
  #138  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
Having stayed at all the resorts you mention, I would not choose any of them. O&O is in no way the best resort. Far better are Constance Le Prince Maurice (my top choice), The Oberoi and Four Seasons Anahita.
We returned to Germany and my very short review:

- The O&O was nice, but still not on the level of Six Senses Zil Pasyon. Food was very good, at the beginning there was a la carte breakfast, which I highly preferred over buffet. Service and staff was a bit chaotic.
- The Lux was a step down compared to the O&O. It has many good ideas, but the implementation lacks significantly. For example, they offer an app with SPA menus, but it's outdated. Want to make a booking for an activity? Three people are coming and checking 15 minutes, if it's available, etc.
xIte is offline  
Old Oct 29, 21, 9:51 am
  #139  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,303
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
We'll be in SA anyway, so the hop to Mauritius was palatable for my SO, who'd refuse to step onto a small sea-plane. We're also looking at Mahe (just the main island), but AFAIK the main draw of the Seychelles is island hopping, so to me it feels wasted to go to the Seychelles and then just stay on Mahe. So saving that for another time and going with Mauritius this time. This will be a September trip, so hopefully all the kids will be in school! Thanks for the info, we'll focus on Prince Maurice then! Though the Shangri-La beach looks very tempting, I have to say... (And the Virtuoso benefits obv.)
The Shangri-La used to be One&Only Le Touessrok, owned by the same people who have St Geran, and yes, the beaches are lovely, but it you care about service and food, then less so. The three large butler-serviced beach/pool villas there are very comfortable and if I were to stay there again, this is what I would opt for - but not the main part of the resort.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Old Dec 1, 21, 10:27 am
  #140  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 2,077
any opinions on the constance belle mare plage, understanding, of course, that this is a step down from le prince. they have a very affordable two bedroom beach villa which we'd want for a family of four (seems better than two connecting/nearby suites). our kids are 18 & 20 so watersports and excursions are more important than a traditional kids club.
eefor jfp is online now  
Old Dec 2, 21, 9:12 am
  #141  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,303
Originally Posted by eefor jfp View Post
any opinions on the constance belle mare plage, understanding, of course, that this is a step down from le prince. they have a very affordable two bedroom beach villa which we'd want for a family of four (seems better than two connecting/nearby suites). our kids are 18 & 20 so watersports and excursions are more important than a traditional kids club.
It is right next door to Le Prince and quite nicely done, but yes, not in the same league. I have looked at it but never stayed.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Old Dec 3, 21, 4:22 am
  #142  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,546
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
It is right next door to Le Prince and quite nicely done, but yes, not in the same league. I have looked at it but never stayed.
Ditto. A very nice looking property. It has a much better beach than Le Prince and allows for longer walks, even round to O&O St Geran for lunch. Le Prince is a short drive away.
Pausanias is offline  
Old Dec 3, 21, 4:51 am
  #143  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 2,077
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
It is right next door to Le Prince and quite nicely done, but yes, not in the same league. I have looked at it but never stayed.
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Ditto. A very nice looking property. It has a much better beach than Le Prince and allows for longer walks, even round to O&O St Geran for lunch. Le Prince is a short drive away.
Thanks for the input. looks like it's worth considering at our price point and for our family.
eefor jfp is online now  
Old Jun 4, 22, 2:00 pm
  #144  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Posts: 26,563
We are just about to leave O&O after a week and, frankly, I have been surprised at how good it is. I think a few comments on here are from people who were there pre the massive renovation.

The rooms are exceptionally large and pleasant (we have two beach view connecting) and the level of detail is very high. Literally my only complaint after a week is that the coffee machine in the rooms runs slowly. That's the worst I can say, and those who read my stuff on Head for Points know I can get very grumpy. If I run down my mental list of 'things I hate about hotel rooms' none of them apply here. Even the kids and teens clubs are faultless - I've never seen a higher quality of equipment. The table tennis table, pool table, table football, basketball etc all seem brand new.

The beach isn't exceptionally deep although apparently the renovation made it bigger than it was - not that it matters a jot. The staff are excellent, virtually everyone seems to know our names after a week, and the evening buffet (we got a cheap deal which includes half board) is exceptionally well done - we ended up eating here 6 nights out of 7, albeit perhaps if you didn't have kids you'd want to go out more.

I can't compare it with anywhere else on the island as we've never been before. Using Barbados as a comparison, since I know that better, it is a notch below Sandy Lane in terms of spectacle and finish but not by much, and the gap is probably deliberate. This isn't that 'see and be seen' crowd you find there. It would be ahead of everything else on Barbados by a long way. Whilst my memory is fading, service seems on a par with Reethi Rah when we went 13 years ago.
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by Raffles; Jun 4, 22 at 2:10 pm
Raffles is offline  
Old Aug 28, 22, 2:29 pm
  #145  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BOS, YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 13,589
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
shangri la with ilot mengine is great, we love it there
FWIW we booked the Shangri-La and will be there in September. Extra bonus: Because the EUR dropped so much value against the USD, we actually are paying ~15% less when we stay than when we booked . Got a two-category upgrade at booking thanks to Luxury Circle/Virtuoso rates.
obscure2k and m3red like this.
Smiley90 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread