Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotels in the South (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:27 pm
KCW
Original Poster

Best Hotels in the South (USA)

I have long been contemplating doing a trip to see more of the South (Georgia, Atlanta, etc) and have been trying to plot out a trip for early next year. I'm open to going anywhere, as long as there's good food and nice accommodations. The only place I've received a recommendation for so far was Blackberry Farms.

I didn't find any threads specifically focusing on the South and so would be interested to hear FT'ers perspectives on their favorite places to stay in this area. Hotels and B&Bs are all welcome. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:10 pm

The South is quite a large region, especially depending on how one defines it. Is there any more specificity you might provide -- places you've been or definitely would like to see, trying to do one big road-trip or several more localized ones, etc etc?

Blackberry Farms is certainly destination worthy, and if you're looking to pair food and culture, to me nothing trumps NOLA (caveat: I'm a Louisianian through and through, though I still stand by that statement).
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Stay at the Cloister in beautiful Sea Island Georgia.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:53 am

Re:

I think Marriott is one of the best one. what you think?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:48 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Another vote for Blackberry Farm. It's absolutely gorgeous and they really embrace the southern food and culture.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:31 am
KCW
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb
The South is quite a large region, especially depending on how one defines it. Is there any more specificity you might provide -- places you've been or definitely would like to see, trying to do one big road-trip or several more localized ones, etc etc?

Blackberry Farms is certainly destination worthy, and if you're looking to pair food and culture, to me nothing trumps NOLA (caveat: I'm a Louisianian through and through, though I still stand by that statement).
I'm willing to fly in wherever - I would ideally like to fly somewhere, maybe road trip to another destination, and fly back out (which is why I was thinking about Charleston and Savannah)...my geography unfortunately is not so good.

Ericka and others who have been - is Blackberry Farms better than Twin Farms?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there's an Orient Express property in Charlston as well as New Orleans.

Driscoll in Austin, historic hotel (name?) in downtown Dallas, Houston has choices, Atlanta Buckhead area choices, Bal Harbor and South Beach Miami, Palm Beach, the Peabody in Memphis is an iconic historic property with its famous ducks (also at the Orlando Peabody), some like the hotel at the Biltmore in NC but I'm not impressed, some country inns in rural Louisiana.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KCW
I'm willing to fly in wherever - I would ideally like to fly somewhere, maybe road trip to another destination, and fly back out (which is why I was thinking about Charleston and Savannah)...my geography unfortunately is not so good.
one example, easy to add at least charleston >

kiawah island
(~3 hours)
inn palmetto bluff
(~3 hours)
sea island / little st simons island

(im not recommending any. xracer is one of the people who recommends inn at palmetto bluff.)

Originally Posted by KCW
is Blackberry Farms better than Twin Farms?
no. blackberry can be much cheaper, and cant include alcohol, but does have a pool.
my question is whether they still have (informal) dining in main house where original restaurant was.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 16, 2012 at 11:01 am
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would stay away form the Orient Express property (Charleston Place) in charleston. The one thing its got going for is its location- which I will admit is great! It was I think an Omni before, and its hard product is quite poor. Service is fairly reasonable there....

I love Charleston. We go there yearly.. Great great great dining scene. 3-4 nights is a nice time to spend there. Wentworth Mansion is a nice property; always our choice, though the location is quite poor.

Further afield is the Sanctuary on Kiawah.. good if you're a golfer/spa type.. bad if you're not...

FDW
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Sanctuary on Kiawah.. good if you're a golfer/spa type.. bad if you're not...
so youre not a fan? i recall a couple fans here.

i know someone who goes regularly with kids, not for golf/spa.
(but they dont stay at sanctuary.)

im assuming you would consider sea island even 'worse'?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I forgot about the Inn at Palmetto Bluff. That is a short drive from Sea Island and the combination of the two would be a great trip.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:58 am
KCW
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
one example, easy to add at least charleston >

kiawah island
(~3 hours)
inn palmetto bluff
(~3 hours)
sea island / little st simons island

no. blackberry can be much cheaper, and cant include alcohol, but does have a pool.
my question is whether they still have (informal) dining in main house where original restaurant was.
Thanks for the Inn at Palmetto Bluff recommendation! That sounds great and easy to drive to from Charleston.

Would people who've been to Charleston recommend staying at Wentworth Mansion vs. a B&B? I am under some random impression that B&Bs can be very nice and luxurious with good food in the South - am I wrong? Would you recommend a hotel still?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Driscoll in Austin, historic hotel (name?) in downtown Dallas, Houston has choices, Atlanta Buckhead area choices, Bal Harbor and South Beach Miami, Palm Beach, the Peabody in Memphis is an iconic historic property with its famous ducks (also at the Orlando Peabody), some like the hotel at the Biltmore in NC but I'm not impressed, some country inns in rural Louisiana.
The Driskill in downtown Austin is just awful, however, the Lake Austin spa is very upscale and luxurious.

I also think including Austin, let alone Palm Beach and Miami, in a definition of the South is really, really stretching things.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so youre not a fan? i recall a couple fans here.

i know someone who goes regularly with kids, not for golf/spa.
(but they dont stay at sanctuary.)

im assuming you would consider sea island even 'worse'?
Kiawah Island is a nice resort.. it's made up of the Sanctuary Hotel and numerous villas/private homes.. it's nice.. very family oriented (the homes/villas). the beach is quite nice; forgot about that.. and the golfing is spectacular...

My bias is if you're going to be in the area, you might as well be in Charleston... but maybe that because I find it to be a spectacular city (and I lived there for four years).. the culinary options are endless... Kiawah isn't as close to the city as one would like (45 mins without traffic)....

Kiawah is a good place to go and just be.. not if you're interested in the other options in the area....

Originally Posted by kcw
Thanks for the Inn at Palmetto Bluff recommendation! That sounds great and easy to drive to from Charleston.

Would people who've been to Charleston recommend staying at Wentworth Mansion vs. a B&B? I am under some random impression that B&Bs can be very nice and luxurious with good food in the South - am I wrong? Would you recommend a hotel still?
Other options for the area are French Quarter Inn and Planters Inn.. again great locations (right near Charleston place). I find that their hard product is better than Charleston Place. Unfortunately nobody in the area approaches even the service of FS (though I find Wentworth close). Most of the B and Bs are your floral print/Victorian motif, which I find disgusting.... The Market Pavillion has a nice hard product, with a nice rooftop pool/bar but I found their service extremely disappointing...

Inn at Palmetto bluff is supposedly good, though it's not a terribly easy drive to Charleston.. US 17 can be quite congested so probably about 2 hours would be my guess..

I always find myself back in Charleston.. I can't resist...

FDW
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by nba1017
I also think including Austin, let alone Palm Beach and Miami, in a definition of the South is really, really stretching things.
Texas =\= South

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.