New General Manager at Oriental Bangkok

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New General Manager at Oriental Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Looks as though the Siam is going to blow all of these properties out of the water! I tend to avoid spending much time in Bangkok, preferring to be on the beach or up North.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Looks as though the Siam is going to blow all of these properties out of the water! I tend to avoid spending much time in Bangkok, preferring to be on the beach or up North.
SIAM will certainly be a leader however its location is not very convenient if you are working in Bangkok.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:49 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
No, I don't think it's time to let it go. Some things are done so poorly, impolitely, and inhospitably that they need never be forgotten. If you don't like reading it, then don't read it. And kindly don't characterize it as a "petty grudge," when that is certainly not what's going on here.

And, no, it's not about knowing how things are done in Asia. They were rude and inappropriate and handled the situation in a very un-Thai fashion, according to my Thai partner.
As a regular contributor on many forums, everyone (including me) appreciates your input. Feel free to relive this terrible experience in posts as much as you want. It won't affect my life. I already know how you feel. But, perhaps you don't know how it affects your own credibility. 11 years on, you're still as passionate of how horrible it was, and want everyone to know how you were mistreated... and I shouldn't refer to it as a petty grudge? Hmmmm.

Did you ever consider what your experience that day would have been if you had complied with the dress code? Did you ever consider that you were wrong, before they even mishandled the situation?

Originally Posted by slickalick
As mentioned, it's more about their attitude and how they made me feel - its as if I was trying to walk into the Playboy Mansion uninvited!

And it wasn't just from the security (whom I would suspect would just be following instructions) but also from a guest relations type of person who reiterated that there is a very strict dress code And they could email me the menu instead!! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!
I repeat the above comment. Assuming that you could relive that moment again, do you think that if you could have just been compliant with the dress code, the whole situation would have been a non-starter. Mishandling the situation aside, complying with the dress code would have negated the issue, and avoided any interaction with the guest relations agent who was assigned to handle your situation. Just out of interest, how should they have handled your situation any better?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:38 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is wandering towards dangerous territory, albeit in a calmer manner than in other forums. The points about the MO Bangkok dress code have been made and countered enough for everyone to get the idea, and it seems like a good time to let them rest for now.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the whole thing is most likely moot. some did not like kurt's style, but none have stayed after his departure. where we went from a distinct style to not one but two reportedly not good GMs.

staff changes are also a difference, not sure of overall impact.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 19, 2012 at 2:55 pm
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the whole thing is most likely moot. some did not like kurt's style, but none have stayed after his departure. where we went from a distinct style to not one but two reportedly not good GMs.

staff changes are also a difference, not sure of overall impact.
To me the service at the FS has been better overall than the MO for quite some years now. Let's see if the new GM can up the ante- there is some very stiff competition now in Bangkok both from existing hotels and new openings like the SIAM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:01 am

Putting service aside as at the end of the day they are all excellent; IMHO you don't want to be in BKK without being on the river. Nor do you want to be in IST without being on the Bosphorous or HKG without a harbor view.

Last edited by speedbird001; Aug 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird001
Putting service aside as at the end of the day they are all excellent; IMHO you don't want to be in BKK without being on the river. Nor do you want to be in IST without being on the Bosphorous or HKG without a harbor view.
In BKK I actually far prefer the Four Seasons. The river is nice one time as a tourist- if you are visiting BKK monthly for business the river novelty wears out quickly as does the extra 30 minutes of travel time in the morning and the evening that comes with the river location.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
So, back on topic, how has the MOBKK gone downhill since Kurt left? I never liked the guy, but he ran a very tight, albeit classist/elitist, and exclusive ship, clearly delineating who was "in" and who was "out", and sometimes confusing those who were "in" with the "outs" and leading to some long, long and highly emotional grudges the likes which other hotels do not generate. I am not just talking about posters in this forum, some friends of mine who were guests there were confused for non-guests and it wasn't a pretty sight. To this day, a decade later they will still spit sideways and do the a two-handed one-fingered salute at the mention of the hotel.

What has happened since Kurt left? Any specifics?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://twitter.com/amandahyndman

hope thats ghostwritten..
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

Are these the tweets of a hotel manager at a storied institution, or of a woman on a name-dropping, look-at-me vacation? This doesn't bode well.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:45 am

I wonder if Amanda Hyndman realised that Marisa Sukosol was one of the owners of The Siam when she replied to her tweet?

Marisa Sukosol Nunbh ‏@marisanun

@amandahyndman @MO_Bangkok enjoyed lovely dinner w hubby at Verandah last night after wedding we attended, service was gr8 as always ka T

6 Aug amanda hyndman amanda hyndman ‏@amandahyndman

@marisanun Thank you so much - we aim to DELIGHT kha!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: QFF WP, PG Premier, LHW LeadersClub Ultimate, R&C 5C Club,HHonour GOLD,
The Best Hotel in the World IMHO

The Best Hotel in the World IMHO
I have been staying at The MOBKK since I was a teen taken by my father 40 years ago. Now, I bring my son here.
For me La Grande Dame has always remained outstanding at the level of service, professionalism and food and beverage.
I have stayed here during Khun Kurt' s era, and also every year during Jan Gossing and his team. There was no noticeable difference, and the team at MOBKK seemed happy with Jan, and I certainly saw all the old faces that had been here for years, and greet us like family returning home. (so I can't comment on old time staff leaving). As a guest nothing has changed if anything the service is even better (if that's possible).
They have always comped us for the meet and greet at air-bridge on arrival, immigration and limo transfer to and from hotel.
I have yet to meet Amanda Hyndman, but already I am impressed.
Amanda, took the time to write to me and my family in Australia to talk of her new role and to welcome us back when we go this coming January.
I wrote back to her and consequently received another hand written response from her which I find exceptional, in this day and age of electronic correspondence.
We have stayed at some of the worlds most famous hotels in Europe Asia and America, but find that all are are poor cousin when compared the the MOBKK.
It is the only hotel in the world in which I could truly wish to live in.

In regards to our friend and his tirade re dress code that seems to be going on indefinitely on numerous posts. "He must be well balanced, as it seems he has a chip on BOTH shoulders."
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you acknowledge regulars get special treatment

then yet another misrepresentation of dress code discussion
(not enforced for guests, selectively enforced for nonguests)

in this thread >
Originally Posted by Pickles
some friends of mine who were guests there were confused for non-guests and it wasn't a pretty sight. To this day, a decade later they will still spit sideways and do the a two-handed one-fingered salute at the mention of the hotel
selectively enforced for nonguests >
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The door policy does not appear to keep out the sightseers. Earlier this year we watched endless lines of backpacker people wander past the Verandah with their cameras

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 7, 2012 at 8:21 am
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:20 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
then yet another misrepresentation of dress code discussion
(not enforced for guests, selectively enforced for nonguests)

in this thread >

selectively enforced for nonguests >
They are not alone, Raffles Singapore is not a pretty sight either and the arrogance of the staff unique in the world.

To be fair: These are landmark properties one just wants to visit while in a city. So it is difficult to handle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.