Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I think some of the demands outlined here and elsewhere on this Forum - regarding climate control, menu choices etc - are quite unreasonable in places such as Fiji and Madagascar where the infrastructure is so fragile or non-existent. In a place like Hawaii or Barbados or Bali maybe these sort of demands are realistic.

I remember once staying at a place called Peponi, near Lamu in Kenya, which lacked air conditioning and many so-called luxuries, yet the hotel drew many luminaries and celebs because of its utter remoteness and tranquility. The owner explained to us in great detail how her entire day, entire week, entire life was spent dealing with suppliers and getting stuff in from Nairobi on a daily basis. It was a miracle, really. Yet the guests made allowances and understood the problems and just enjoyed the place for what it was. I think something similar happens at a place like Mnemba, that little beach shack off the coast of Zanzibar.

Now people demand 65 degrees in their room when the outside is 100 degrees heat and 90 percent humidity and people demand fresh foie gras or whatever. Frankly I don't care if the air-con breaks down or if the kitchen can't supply a ***Michelin dinner on a whim. Madagascar is not like Dubai.

There is a price factor, of course, but even a ludicrous $6000 a night can't really deliver on some of the expectations and demands. Common sense must tell you that.
I think the air conditioning is solved by getting a powerful system and having the power infrastructure (generator, solar, etc) to back it. A lot of places will skimp on this part. Right now, I'm at a modern hotel built in 2013 and owned by one of the leading Korean chaebols but even their system can't cool down the bedroom when the blinds are open and it's a sunny day. It was a big problem this summer. The truth of the matter is their system probably wasn't designed to go to Arctic 17 degrees Celsius that the panel shows and whatever unit they chose was probably judged to be adequate enough but not bhrubin enough. That Thai hotel that said their system would break below 23 degrees definitely didn't install a good enough system for that kind of environment.

If you want 3 figures or even 6 figures a night then you should be able to cater to needs and desires. A remote location doesn't mean much these days. Just another excuse as others have illustrated in this thread.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:50 am

Just thinking about these tropical climates and the immense differences in temperatures and humidity between building and environment... it takes a toll on the structures. Not saying it isn't possible, but it requires very elaborate environmental control systems and architecture. I think it takes more than just a powerful condenser unit for our A/C needs. It means serious investment.

The Brando is a wonderful example of what can be done in terms of 'natural' A/C. Especially since the system these days is able to deliver impressive results.

Sad to hear about Laucala. Any knows who is doing interim?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
Just returned from Laucala for my birthday. Petra Trapp is the general manager for the front of house. When we landed we were the only villa occupied out of the 25 so we were well taken care of by the 450 staff. Service, warmth and enthusiasm unrivalled. Air conditioning made the bedroom like an ice box! The resort is closing for renovations for much of October. I can't wait to return again.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:49 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I would hope the service was exemplary with 450 staff serving 1-2 guests!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many here like properties that are not like regular hotels. such properties can have very high costs (not rates) and be unprofitable regardless of high rates. i would always like to see more such properties. i dont really care if regular hotel rooms have lower rates, which they may not over holidays.
r281 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Member

Laucala now has competition in Fiji -- similar experience, better pricing: Kokomo Island:

https://www.kokomoislandfiji.com/dow...fact-sheet.pdf
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
You know not of what you speak.
I've also been to Anjajavy L'Hotel in Madagascar. . . You may not care, but then you don't ever seem to go to such properties.
I vaguely seem to remember that it was me who 'sent' you to Anjajavy . . .
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:02 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I don’t think anyone here was the reason we went to Anjajavy, but I certainly aopreciated your review and commentary on it! So thanks again for that!

Of course, the air con at Anjajavy worked as well as advertised.

We obviously have different requirements and expectations when it comes to remote luxury, despite the fact that we both enjoy remote locales—and that’s ok.

You refer in previous posts to people demanding amenities, whereas I see properties advertising amenities and then not delivering on them. Your opinion is based on a false equivalency to my mind.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL
That looks promising! Anyone planning a trip? Please do report back if so. I might think about it for next year.

Originally Posted by KatW
Laucala now has competition in Fiji -- similar experience, better pricing: Kokomo Island:

https://www.kokomoislandfiji.com/dow...fact-sheet.pdf
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
That looks promising! Anyone planning a trip? Please do report back if so. I might think about it for next year.
You would think I'd learn from going to relatively new openings, but alas, stupidity was breed into me - we've decided to go in August for a few nights, just before returning to Laucala.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheetah_SA rather than bhrubin >
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post21523044

posted Jun 30, 2010 > >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Originally Posted by gallivanters
[on twitter that day] Anjajavy L'Htel, on an isolated island in NW Madagascar, reached only by private charter
Kokomo >
Originally Posted by welltended
our stay at Kokomo
Originally Posted by poohbear0218
Dec 2017 Kokomo Private Island Fiji
think i heard from other(s) via PM, cant recall
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 14, 2018 at 7:16 am
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL
@MacMyDay, looking forward to a comparative review of Kokomo and Laucala (of contemporaneous stays), especially given some of the patchy reports on Laucala!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
@MacMyDay, looking forward to a comparative review of Kokomo and Laucala (of contemporaneous stays), especially given some of the patchy reports on Laucala!
I'm afraid that review will not be forthcoming. You would not want to see a comparison between an Airbus 380 compared to a penny farthing, which is what you would get in Laucala vs Kokomo. This is not to say that Kokomo is a bad resort, it's just in a different league and even feels from a different era than Laucala. Laucala may have celebrated its 10th anniversary last month, with Kokomo just celebrating their first, but the latter already feels dated. I was hoping and expecting so much more from the latest-and-greatest, but the hard product couldn't put up a fight against a bound and beaten Cheval Blanc Randheli or The Brando, both of which are nearing 6 years old and similarly priced. We even found ourselves unfavourably comparing the majority of it to Miavana. Start comparing it to Laucala and it'd be like watching Megatron fight Bambi. The problem is that it felt cheap; cheap materials, cheap rooms, cheap facilities. The room a particular let down; failing to deceive that it was poorly thought through and badly maintained.

Looks like Long John Silver had a car boot sale

I get it: parts are rustic, but you can do rustic and be classy, see Messrs Island, North and Laucala. The story around Kokomo was Lane Walker coming in to save the day with $100m to complete the abandoned property, but I cannot help but believe that's a nice story rather than the reality. I fail to see see where the money went, other than on marketing boffins coming up with the innovative named restaurant: Walker d'Plank. And deciding how many stars they should have whilst rewording what all-inclusive means. Alcohol is an optional daily supplement of $150 per person, so I think they've taken the all-inclusive name in vain a bit there.

Welcome to Kokomo Island Fiji, where pristine reefs set the scene for an unrivalled, all-inclusive 6 Star experience
Their key differentiator is that the service truly was fantastic, with it being superior to Laucala on my 2016 stay, and so far on our current stay. Far superior. Truly wonderful, caring service throughout from everyone; GM down. When I told him my thoughts on the hard product, it broke both our hearts. I just don't consider amazing service enough reason to visit a property that takes over 24 hours for us Brits to get to and charges $3600/n for their standard room category. Sadly, with that the case, it means Kokomo has already peaked - it cannot get any better. No one became a billionaire by wasting money, so I doubt he'll want to restart all over again and build it to a competitive level, no matter how wonderful my feedback is.

It's a good property, it's just not a great one - and at these prices, it needs to be.

Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:02 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thanks for the review (as always!) and the great photos.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:01 am

Macmyday - Did you dodge the weather and ever get to Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.