Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which is the supreme Ritz-Carlton property?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is the supreme Ritz-Carlton property?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:12 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the disappointing category, I would include the deflagged Huntingdon Beach Pasadena, Amelia Island near Jacksonville Florida, pre-renovation Montreal, pre-renovation Singapore, etc. even though these are all excellent hotels.
Thankfully, the Pasadena location was re-flagged in [2007], and is no longer a Ritz.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In a sense, Hong Kong is too new to serve as the flagship property that you're implicitly considering. NYC is always a good guess for inquiries of this sort, as are London, Paris and perhaps Tokyo, plus other European and American focal cities.
The Ritz London is only a partner hotel (not under R-C management). The Ritz Paris has no affiliation whatsoever with The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company.

R-C Tokyo has some very good points, but also quite a few drawbacks ranging from awkwardly designed suites, overall poor quality finish on rooms and public space, and inconsistent service. It has an excellent location and overall is an acceptable choice, but it is far from being the best R-C property.

In Asia I think Hong Kong and Phulay Bay are quite clearly positioned as flagship properties. In North America, R-C Central Park also stands out, as no other R-C city hotel in the region even compares.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 21, 2012 at 12:59 am
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:48 am
Original Poster

For those wondering, it seems RC have reinvested their efforts in the Reserve brand...

Their website now shows the following to be in development:

Tamuda Bay, Morocco
Muscat, Oman
Dorado Bay, Puerto Rico (opening December 2012)
Los Cabos
West Caicos

This may not be news for some people, but for me I am sure the last time I looked on the website (a matter of weeks ago) only Phulay Bay was present!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Ritz central park is great but had bad service (too busy) over holidays last year despite suite over central park being beautiful view. Crazy I know, but we actually prefer the layouts and view of the suites at Battery Park location in NY, although a subway/taxi to everywhere. Love RC HK but will wait to see how develops as so new (stayed there in month after opening). Overall, favorite (although rooms need a refresh in some cases) is always Grand Cayman, best large beach resort around. And I would say that the Reserve properties looks great but not sure that is really in line with question as a "Ritz Carlton" property, as is a whole different concept. Some people like the smaller, Aman style experience as is clear on this board in particular. But Ritz Carlton is more traditional large hotel experience, either at resorts or in cities, and HK and GC are tops in the two categories that I have been to in last couple years.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:58 pm

RC Central Park and Hong Kong ^
RCHK is my favorite.

Bahrain and Doha were mentioned above. I don't like the RC Bahrain much, the RC Doha is rather nice but far from the "supreme" RC experience. You mention Sanya - a colleague who spent some time there complained about the service, although I had a wonderful time, experienced great service, and think the property is lovely and relaxing, so I would recommend it.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:54 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
For me, the supremo RC is the RC Chicago
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luxury
There always has to be a joker in the class
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
For those wondering, it seems RC have reinvested their efforts in the Reserve brand...

Their website now shows the following to be in development:

Tamuda Bay, Morocco
Muscat, Oman
Dorado Bay, Puerto Rico (opening December 2012)
Los Cabos
West Caicos

This may not be news for some people, but for me I am sure the last time I looked on the website (a matter of weeks ago) only Phulay Bay was present!
Thanks for posting, this is great news. Looking forward to trying these out. I assume that the lack of dates on everything but PR means they will open in 2013 and beyond..

Good, gives me time to continue my Aman journeys..
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:53 am

I think Ritz-Carlton has lost their way somewhat in recent years. I recently stayed at their downtown Los Angeles location and it was shockingly bad. The room decor reminded me of a Hilton Garden Inn.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ejong
I think Ritz-Carlton has lost their way somewhat in recent years. I recently stayed at their downtown Los Angeles location and it was shockingly bad. The room decor reminded me of a Hilton Garden Inn.
Funny you should mention- I stayed at the Naples FL location which is directly on the golf course and had a similar thought- it was a holiday inn with a marble bathroom.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by luxury
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Just thought I'd share this awesome 19 minute tour of RC Phulay Bay, from YouTuber MrKesavaraj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Liu...&feature=g-u-u

What do people think?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Just thought I'd share this awesome 19 minute tour of RC Phulay Bay, from YouTuber MrKesavaraj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Liu...&feature=g-u-u

What do people think?
I am a fan of Phulay Bay, and will stay again.

I do not think this video does the property justice, as it seems to have been taken at dead low tide. Also the villa shown is a 'Beach Villa' which is not one of the best choices at the resort. The Reserve and Royal Beach Villas are much nicer.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Picking one, I'd say:
RCCP- though, like others in NYC these days, it hobbles on without a proper restaurant. In the days of Atelier and cavair in the Club, it was my favorite hotel in the world.

Looking fwd to trying Moscow next week assuming I get a visa in time...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
HK, Sin, Pudong in Asia
Barcelona, Wolfsburg, Istanbul and Dublin
Bahrain
Kapalua, Toronto, Bachelor Gultch, Tucson and Dallas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.