Where to stay in Shenzhen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Shenzhen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:19 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by moondog
I used to live in SZ, but don't go there so much any more because the airport sucks, HK is better, and Shekou is in the midst of a decline.

That having been said, Shekou is where it all started, and the Pen pool is my favourite in China. Shekou is better than Futian, and is semi relaxed.
Also lived in Shenzhen for three years (though not really - Hong Kong, and thus home, is too close; I'd do Shenzhen during the week, Hong Kong on the weekends - plus, I never had a 'home' in Shenzhen, used to live in a hotel 3-4 nights a week).

I generally had a good time. It's an intriguing city for sure, but its still trying to find its feet culturally - it's perhaps more so the 'New York of China' - but think EARLY New York, than Hong Kong - and that's due to the huge wave after wave of people that have moved in from different parts of China to make a living here.
I recently saw population statistics; only 2 million out of the reported 11 million population of Shenzhen are acutally registered within Guangdong (and out of those 2 million, most are first generation too) - a fact that's well represented by the fact that very few people in the city speak Cantonese, the regional dialect of the area.

I lived in Nanshan, and quite liked it - it's far more relaxed than Futian (and Luohu is a dump). Shekou is a short distance away. There's some good food in Shenzhen if you like reigonal Chinese cuisines, particularly Sichuan, Xinjiang and Chaozhou (Chiu Chow) cuisine.I even found some other types of cuisine better in Shenzhen than in Hong Kong (namely pizza and Indian food).

There are also some surprisingly intruiging areas; Xichong beach is quite gorgeous, if not for the swathes of people that frequent the place on a weekend (and there's no accommodation even touching reasonable).
Dameisha is the more popular beach area, but it's a lot more sterile (and fake?) and I can't say I like it as much; there's a Sheraton and a few hotels there.
There's also the Yantian area - overlooking the gorgeous Plover Cove Country Park and bay, on Hong Kong side, which has a Fraser Suites that has a stunning view (and infinity pool).

Last edited by chinmoylad; Apr 23, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Dec 29, 2023, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Has anyone here been to Shenzhen post-pandemic? In the Hong Kong thread, the Wiki stated the following:

St Regis Shenzhen is typically great value with free-flow executive lounge privileges on the 100+ floor or staying at the Four Points in Shenzhen is less than a round of drinks in Hong Kong and offers an unlimited dim-sum lunch for less than 20USD pp.
Is this still true? I'm a Titanium Elite.

A lot of the information came from the pre-pandemic world. Is clearing immigration any smoother or faster? Is it any faster to take the HSR from Shenzhen to Hong Kong? I need to get to HKG asap. I might not spend the night in Shenzhen even if my HK departure the next day is in the evening. I do have a Chinese visa.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 3:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Explora Trailblazer, Belmond Bellini
Did a quick one night in Andaz Shenzhen Bay last summer when I was visiting BYD's factory and room is quite spacious and they had a lot of dining options downstairs and customer service was really good but I was Globalist so YMMV. Don't know how it will stack up against some of other top options such as FS or Raffles but as a chain hotel I was quite satisfied.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 6:05 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by lsquare
Has anyone here been to Shenzhen post-pandemic? ..... Is clearing immigration any smoother or faster? Is it any faster to take the HSR from Shenzhen to Hong Kong? I need to get to HKG asap. I might not spend the night in Shenzhen even if my HK departure the next day is in the evening. I do have a Chinese visa.
I am currently living in Shenzhen with almost daily commune to Hong Kong in the afternoon and night.

If you are travelling on Mon to Thur then border crossing should be relatively easy with fewer tourists. However, during weekends Shenzhen and Hong Kong residents visit each other and so HSR tickets can easily sell out. If you decide to travel on HSR, get your HSR tickets asap if travelling during weekends.

If money is not problem, ask hotel to arrange direct car travel from your Shenzhen hotel to HKG airport (my driver charged me about HK$800 one way). From Futian central area to HKG, it can take about 1-1.5 hr travel+border crossing time if mainland immigration process you quickly.

DM me if needed.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by royng
I am currently living in Shenzhen with almost daily commune to Hong Kong in the afternoon and night.

If you are travelling on Mon to Thur then border crossing should be relatively easy with fewer tourists. However, during weekends Shenzhen and Hong Kong residents visit each other and so HSR tickets can easily sell out. If you decide to travel on HSR, get your HSR tickets asap if travelling during weekends.

If money is not problem, ask hotel to arrange direct car travel from your Shenzhen hotel to HKG airport (my driver charged me about HK$800 one way). From Futian central area to HKG, it can take about 1-1.5 hr travel+border crossing time if mainland immigration process you quickly.

DM me if needed.
What's the travel time with HSR from the 4P to HKG if I checkout and leave on Thursday?

I’m assuming the 1-1.5 hours is by car?

What's the travel time with HSR from the 4P to HKG if I checkout and leave on Friday at around 5 PM?
Old Dec 29, 2023, 6:56 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
What's the travel time with HSR from the 4P to HKG if I checkout and leave on Thursday?

I’m assuming the 1-1.5 hours is by car?

What's the travel time with HSR from the 4P to HKG if I checkout and leave on Friday at around 5 PM?

What do you mean by 4P?

Anyway, if you travel by HSR, I presume your journey will look like this

Option A: Futian HSR then HK Airport Express
1. From your Shenzhen hotel to Futian HSR station: YMMY
2. Waiting for the HSR and the train journey itself: I would say about 15+20 mins, including the time for elevators
3. Boarder clearance: if there are many foreigners crossing mainland boarder, it can take 30mins and more
4. Exiting HK West Kowloon station and walking to Kowloon Station: about 15 mins
5. Waiting for and taking HK Airport Express train: about 10+25 mins.

Option B: Futian HSR then taxi to HKG airport
2. Waiting for the HSR and the train journey itself: I would say about 15+20 mins, including the time for elevators
3. Boarder clearance: if there are many foreigners crossing mainland boarder, it can take 30mins and more
4. Waiting for taxi at HK West Kowloon station: YMMY, sometimes there is no wait, sometimes it takes about 10-15mins. to wait for a taxi
5. Taxi to HKG airport: about 25 mins.

"I’m assuming the 1-1.5 hours is by car?" Yes, from Futian central location via Huanggang, Lok Ma Chau checkpoints. Other checkpoints may incur additional travel time depending on your origin.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by royng
What do you mean by 4P?

Anyway, if you travel by HSR, I presume your journey will look like this

Option A: Futian HSR then HK Airport Express
4. Exiting HK West Kowloon station and walking to Kowloon Station: about 15 mins
5. Waiting for and taking HK Airport Express train: about 10+25 mins.

Option B: Futian HSR then taxi to HKG airport
4. Waiting for taxi at HK West Kowloon station: YMMY, sometimes there is no wait, sometimes it takes about 10-15mins. to wait for a taxi
5. Taxi to HKG airport: about 25 mins.

"I’m assuming the 1-1.5 hours is by car?" Yes, from Futian central location via Huanggang, Lok Ma Chau checkpoints. Other checkpoints may incur additional travel time depending on your origin.
If I'm staying in Shenzhen, it’ll only be at the StR or the Four Points (4P).

Sounds like once I get to Futian HSR, it'll be about an hour to HKG? If this is on a Friday, and there are no more HSR tickets, what will the journey time be like?

Thank you!

Last edited by lsquare; Dec 29, 2023 at 7:23 pm
Old Dec 29, 2023, 7:08 pm

Is it any faster to take the HSR from Shenzhen to Hong Kong? I need to get to HKG asap. I might not spend the night in Shenzhen even if my HK departure the next day is in the evening. I do have a Chinese visa.
I forgot to suggest checking out HKG-mainland China transport information page
https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/t...nd-connection/

The "SkyPier Terminal Ferry Transfer" "From Mainland China" section should be useful.

In gist, you go to Shenzhen Shekou ferry pier (on western side of Shenzhen), check in and deposit your luggage there. Then you take a ferry to go to HKG airside directly. You luggage will be transferred to the flight automatically. Your airline has to participate in this program (CX is in) and there has to be suitable ferry schedule to match your flight.

Moderator: sorry for getting off-topic. Isquare's private message box is full....
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by royng; Dec 29, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:06 pm

Mandarin Oriental and the new Conrad seems to be the best options right now

Best to avoid the St. Regis, very old and tired
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc
Mandarin Oriental and the new Conrad seems to be the best options right now

Best to avoid the St. Regis, very old and tired
The place got run down in the years since COVID?
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:28 pm

The place got run down in the years since COVID?
Place opened in 2011 with no renovations ever since. Location also old and undesirable in 2023. Very low rates and absolutely not worthy of this forum

The Park Hyatt also a great choice

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 30, 2023 at 7:12 am Reason: Consecutive posts by same member not permitted by FT rules
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc
Place opened in 2011 with no renovations ever since. Location also old and undesirable in 2023. Very low rates and absolutely not worthy of this forum
Well, Four Points has also made an entrance to this thread.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:44 pm

First and hopefully the last
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:05 am

New Shangri-La opens in Nanshan, Shenzhen.

Looks amazing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.