Cheers & Safe Travels.
Old Oct 20, 17, 3:56 pm

-- --
uggboy likes this.

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 18 at 11:01 am
Old Oct 20, 17, 4:21 pm
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I always caution people about rankings and "scores" since they always reflect some degree of confirmation bias and also create the illusion that #4 is somehow "better" than #6 when that almost always isn't actually true.

The truth is that the top 10 or 20 may all be wonderful. But scores inevitably lead to the ranking which suggests otherwise. I deal with this issue with college rankings all the time in my line of work.

Just as a wonderful Bordeaux isn't so good young but improves with age (so when does it score highly and when does it score lower) or just as a Sonoma Chardonnay pairs beautifully with some food but not others (so what score should be assigned?), most high end luxury properties are just very good--and the discernment comes not from what is "better" or "worse" about them but comes more from what match it makes with you.

Just as a brilliant student can go to Harvard and end up at Stanford Medical School and earn a great living, a just as brilliant student can go to UNC and end up in grad school at CU-Boulder and earn just as great a living. Despite rankings suggesting otherwise.

A great wine served with food that doesn't pair well with it doesn't taste so good--regardless of its high score.

The same is true for luxury hotels. Put me at the Ritz or Le Bristol or FSGV in Paris and it won't be a match made in heaven--no matter how well rated those hotels may be. They aren't for me, regardless, despite the rankings.
michelin, offerendum and uggboy like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 20, 17 at 4:27 pm
Old Dec 12, 17, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
Adare Manor reopens on the 2nd November, after their 18 month complete shutdown and refurb. With the new GM being ex-Connaught Hotel Manager, you can be sure I will be there very soon. Maybe opening weekend, if I'm feeling incapable of remembering rational thoughts.
I'm very interested in your experience if you had time to go
Actually I am hesitating between Adare Manor and Ballyfin.
Old Dec 13, 17, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric View Post
I'm very interested in your experience if you had time to go
Actually I am hesitating between Adare Manor and Ballyfin.
Ballyfin - easily the best hotel in Ireland.
hedur and BESVISOR like this.
Old Mar 26, 18, 3:02 am

-- --
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 18 at 1:59 pm
Old Mar 26, 18, 3:43 am

Thanks for the thoughts here, I've been looking at Adare Manor and Ashford Castle for a visit with our baby so this is really helpful.

We stayed at the Killarney Park Hotel last week and our experience was similar - not quite in the top tier but food and service were both excellent, and overall very good value.
Old Mar 26, 18, 4:18 am

I saw the recent, hilarious TV programme on Ashford Castle, hosted by Monica Galetti and Giles Coren. I have to say, the hotel looked unbelievably tacky and when one of the owners showed up and the staff all lined up and came over all fawning. . . pass the sick bucket. Galetti and Coren could hardly conceal their bemusement. I see it's run by Red Carnation Hotels - enough said.
welch and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old May 13, 18, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Stayed at The Westbury for four nights prior to an Irish Sea cruise. Room ready in the morning after a Trans-Atlantic redeye - - yay! Staff were very professional and friendly, breakfast was handled well. Had a drink at the bar one day while the room was cleaned, a very pleasant experience. Convenient location meant that I could easily go book shopping at a couple of nearby shops during another afternoon cleaning. Final evening, we didn't feel like a full meal, so a sandwich (and, yes, a pastry) at Bewley's was a grand experience nearby.

Disclaimer: I don't stay in fine hotels that often, but thought I'd chime in here.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old May 15, 18, 9:57 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Appreciate the reviews as we are planning to go next summer to Ireland. We will be staying at Ballyfin and currently seeing what we can pair that with.
Old May 15, 18, 9:58 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by mumum17 View Post
Appreciate the reviews as we are planning to go next summer to Ireland. We will be staying at Ballyfin and currently seeing what we can pair that with.
What would you like to see/do/experience of Irish culture and scenery?
Old May 15, 18, 11:20 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Hi DavidO, right now we are truely open to anything...will be looking to be near that area and Dublin as we plan to combine that with maybe a visit to Greece (fly in/out of Dublin). Will be paying attention to your earlier reviews. Thanks.
Old May 16, 18, 2:16 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 18 at 1:43 pm
Old Oct 3, 18, 8:08 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Any one has experience staying at the Adare Manor Castle hotel ?

https://www.adaremanor.com/

Or put it another way, any recommendations for a Castle Hotel in Ireland?
Old Oct 3, 18, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

combine with ballyfin?

Search this Thread