Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

5 day trip to Florida or the Caribbean: Where to stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone. The wife and I are looking for a short get-a-way from NY this July and are thinking of going to Florida. At first we found a great deal at Ritz Carlton Ft. Lauderdale but our agent informed us of a big business meeting going on during the dates we selected so now she is going to get us rates for the RC Sarasota.

I am 31 and haven't been to Florida since I was probably 14. We are open to any part of the state really. We just want a really nice beach (as crystal clear of water as you can get) and not a ton of kids. An adults only pool at the resort if it is very kid friendly would be great.

As for the Caribbean we have been looking at the Bahamas (outer islands). We are open to a small private villa rental (have been searching high and low on vrbo etc) or a quaint little resort.

Just so many damn places to see and not enough time!

Happy Travels,

Kevin
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:26 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Budget?
Under no circumstances should anyone in their 30'ish goto Sarasota.... Off the top of my head Acqualina or St Regis Bal Harbour. Jumby Bay is a good value in the summer months.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
Budget?
Under no circumstances should anyone in their 30'ish goto Sarasota.... Off the top of my head Acqualina or St Regis Bal Harbour. Jumby Bay is a good value in the summer months.
Thanks for the reply. 1k a night is above our price range and I think flights to Antigua are a little longer than we want. St. Regis looks really nice tho. What are the areas in Florida to hit? Less crowded the better.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Thanks for the reply. 1k a night is above our price range and I think flights to Antigua are a little longer than we want. St. Regis looks really nice tho. What are the areas in Florida to hit? Less crowded the better.
IMO Florida is a place for kids and old people, old people hosting grandkids, or college frat boys with their hats on backwards acting like d-bags. There is the occasional oasis that is none of the above, but whether those oases are what you are looking for is entirely up to you: some people in their 30s think South Beach is the best place ever, others like Key West. I can't imagine the RC at Naples appealing to someone with your needs, but YMMV. Personally, I like none of those place, so I tend to avoid Florida for romance/quiet trips, and we go with the kids, which is fun.

If I were you, I'd look at Turks & Caicos or St. John. Both are quiet and secluded with good accommodation options in your budget, and plenty of activities.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Plat, DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
If beach is what you want, the RC Sarasota is not for you. It is not located near a beach. You might want to look at RC Key Biscayne.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

soho beach house can be cheap depending on dates

(these are links to posts >)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post17792735
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post17701603
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post13082528
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:40 pm

Just got back from my second stay at the Peninusla House in Las Terrenas DR and think its a great place for your trip. www.thepeninsulahouse.com. Dinning at the Peninsula House was so good and service was top notch in the dinning room. The beach was empty, the town of Las Terrenas filled with really good restaurants and lots of things to do off the beach as well.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Ritz Carlton Stars, Four Seasons Preferred, Rosewood Elite
Smile

You may want to consider RC Naples ~ STARS clients stay for 5, pay for 4 promo combinable with STARS benefits.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
As for the Caribbean we have been looking at the Bahamas (outer islands). We are open to a small private villa rental (have been searching high and low on vrbo etc) or a quaint little resort.
Nevis is a lovely island and there are direct flights on AA from JFK to SKB. The Four Seasons is quite nice. If you are looking for small and quaint there are several other options including the Montpelier and The Hermitage.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by KimberlyH
You may want to consider RC Naples ~ STARS clients stay for 5, pay for 4 promo combinable with STARS benefits.
And the Ritz Carlton is right on the beach, too.

Just be careful when making a reservation. There are two RCs in Naples. You don't want Ritz Carlton at Tiburon which is basically for golf afficiandos (although they can use the beach facilities too.)
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:03 pm

Just curious where you ended up staying for your vacation with your wife DetailsIM? Hope you had a great stay wherever you ended up!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KimberlyH
+1 great club lounge there too,nice beach on site ,oh It's lovely.
A nice upscale area too with some cool bars/nightclubs less than a mile away,though these seemed busiest thursday to sunday.

edit,lol,just realised,the date on this thead :-O
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Naples is very nice. The RC in the Isla Verde portion of San Juan PR is also solid.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cascade
Naples is very nice. The RC in the Isla Verde portion of San Juan PR is also solid.
Any idea what the club lounge there is like? Champagne,food choices,views etc and is there a terrace you can sit out on?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:50 am

Yes, it has a terrace. The Ritz San Juan is literally within 10 minutes of the airport and has a beautiful beach. Also, if having a terrace is important, the Garden Suites there are on the ground level and open on to the lawn and pool area. The Virtuoso/STARS amenities are great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.