Amankila and Amandari

Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Amanwana has a private sand beach 10 min away? Really? Where?

I *loved* Amanwana! I would go back in a heartbeat. But I can't think of a private sand beach that close unless you mean by boat. And that means no food/drinks/service etc. Maybe not the end of the world, but not a quick walk either.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Could you elaborate on Kila?
Hi there and apologies for not being clear; other fellow users may have now given you the answers. I have been a great fan of Amankila and visited it few times over the years. The last time I was not very impressed and I tried to detach myself from it as I am so biased. Everything was fantastic and the service was exquisite and had therefore won the trust of all of us and sat on this trust. Nowadays I do not feel the make the same effort as before, and it may also be due to the fact that is the busiest resorts of the three in Bali.

The reality is that it is an OK property. If you are a beach lover, bear in mind the beach there is not great! The service is OK, the menu has pretty much been the same for 3 years now.

It all depends what you are looking for. If it is the beaches then head for Amanwana (it's exquisite). Amankila is in a remote location in the East with nothing nearby. As I said I used to go a lot as I was always finding friends there, the service was good (and I never used the beaches although I love the beaches). Last time I had been was to attend a friend's birthday party. So my conclusion is that I do not have any reason to go to Amankila anymore. I suggest you go if you want to tick off your list but other than that nothing personally to be wowed about.

However, new amanjunkies, or other travellers who have not visited any other Aman properties they will of course love it.

Bear in mind that i have been travelling to Amans for 20 years now and you can appreciate, as I am sure vuittonsofstyle will agree, the expectations are a lot higher.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by namaguide
Hi there and apologies for not being clear; other fellow users may have now given you the answers. I have been a great fan of Amankila and visited it few times over the years. The last time I was not very impressed and I tried to detach myself from it as I am so biased. Everything was fantastic and the service was exquisite and had therefore won the trust of all of us and sat on this trust. Nowadays I do not feel the make the same effort as before, and it may also be due to the fact that is the busiest resorts of the three in Bali.

The reality is that it is an OK property. If you are a beach lover, bear in mind the beach there is not great! The service is OK, the menu has pretty much been the same for 3 years now.

It all depends what you are looking for. If it is the beaches then head for Amanwana (it's exquisite). Amankila is in a remote location in the East with nothing nearby. As I said I used to go a lot as I was always finding friends there, the service was good (and I never used the beaches although I love the beaches). Last time I had been was to attend a friend's birthday party. So my conclusion is that I do not have any reason to go to Amankila anymore. I suggest you go if you want to tick off your list but other than that nothing personally to be wowed about.

However, new amanjunkies, or other travellers who have not visited any other Aman properties they will of course love it.

Bear in mind that i have been travelling to Amans for 20 years now and you can appreciate, as I am sure vuittonsofstyle will agree, the expectations are a lot higher.
Was there in August, I would agree about the service, but I actually thought the food was exceptionally good (caveat: ate almost entirely Indonesian food). I thought the villas were the nicest of any of the Aman resorts I've been to... nice combination of privacy and view. I spent a lot of time at a world class beach when I was younger so didn't have high expectations, but was pleasantly surprised by the beach at Kila. The thing I liked best though was being off the beaten path and being able to walk around in nearby villages that had not yet been inundated by tourists. Good diving too if you like that. I'ved probably stayed at 15 or 20 places (including Nusa and Dari) in Bali, and bottom line... Kila is in my opinion the nicest.

I'm not a big fan of Phuket, but I go there a few times a year for Puri. I wouldn't go to Bali for Kila, but I would go to Bali for its own sake, and Dari is a great place to stay if you're going.

BTW - Thanks for the advice on Amanwana. Looking at the pictures the beaches didn't look great so it's good to know they have a great beach.

Last edited by 5khours; Mar 30, 2012 at 11:22 am
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Kila

Kila vote +1

Hands up - I am a Kila fan.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:02 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Smile Enjoy Kila & Wana

Originally Posted by ridefar
Amanwana has a private sand beach 10 min away? Really? Where?

I *loved* Amanwana! I would go back in a heartbeat. But I can't think of a private sand beach that close unless you mean by boat. And that means no food/drinks/service etc. Maybe not the end of the world, but not a quick walk either.
Originally Posted by 5khours
Was there in August, I would agree about the service, but I actually thought the food was exceptionally good (caveat: ate almost entirely Indonesian food). I thought the villas were the nicest of any of the Aman resorts I've been to... nice combination of privacy and view. I spent a lot of time at a world class beach when I was younger so didn't have high expectations, but was pleasantly surprised by the beach at Kila. The thing I liked best though was being off the beaten path and being able to walk around in nearby villages that had not yet been inundated by tourists. Good diving too if you like that. I'ved probably stayed at 15 or 20 places (including Nusa and Dari) in Bali, and bottom line... Kila is in my opinion the nicest.

I'm not a big fan of Phuket, but I go there a few times a year for Puri. I wouldn't go to Bali for Kila, but I would go to Bali for its own sake, and Dari is a great place to stay if you're going.

BTW - Thanks for the advice on Amanwana. Looking at the pictures the beaches didn't look great so it's good to know they have a great beach.
Originally Posted by Flying Bat
Kila vote +1

Hands up - I am a Kila fan.
Am Amanjunkie fr '89 & still enjoy going to Kila .. As of now will be twice this year when we return to celebrate her 20 th anniversary in July.
Was it twice or thrice last year ( for Kila - & also some other Amans - some times we don't even make it to the beach in the day !

The food has been good with Guy heading the kitchen. At one time, Dari was best.

As I mentioned in some other thread on service, Aman staff are top for being poached - especially with many new properties being opened on Bali . Amanpuri has been facing same for years. Perhaps that's why Fred , GM Amanpuri , avoids meeting us as far as possible & leaves it to Sandra ..
Tracy makes it a point to see us .. Unless she's stuck somewhere else like being in hospital. The team likely will not let on tho'. So for those who wonder why Tracy is a no show after making an ' appointment ', there 's a valid reason but the team maybe too embarrassed to say - it's the culture there.
Amanwana has many lovely beaches a few mins by boat away. The team brings along anything you'd like to have tho' the honeycomb ice cream should be enjoyed quickly
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Will be staying at the Amankila end of this month ( my first stay at an Aman ). Are there some interesting places to hike / explore in the immediate vicinity of the resort? What are some of their restaurant's best dishes to order?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:11 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Will be staying at the Amankila end of this month ( my first stay at an Aman ). Are there some interesting places to hike / explore in the immediate vicinity of the resort? What are some of their restaurant's best dishes to order?
There are some of the best rice terraces in the area. The hotel can help you organize a car trip and/or a trek. There are also a few bales where they'll set up picnic breakfasts with gorgeous views. And don't forget to do the beach BBQ dinner.

The Indonesian food is very good. Nasi goreng, etc.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I just went out to the main road and then headed up on some of the side roads. The resort will organize for you, but it's very easy to do on your own.

I ate mostly Indonesian all of which was very good.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
There's a more or less hilly 10-km loop that is excellent for cycling, taking you through many nearby villages. Mr. Megatop and I did it many times; great for exercise, and good for getting a little bit closer to the local people and local culture.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 4:12 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Order what you enjoy or think will & be pleasantly surprised
Try the local duck specialty & the special Indonesian meals .. Check out the daily specials too
We always have a fun time deciding even at breakfast.

Just enjoy the food & the numerous excursions.
Reserve a beach dinner , now , & personalize your customized menu when you get there with Guy & team!

Do remember their ' hati hati ' project with the remote mountain tribe, if you don't see what I mean, please ask Tracy or a team member

You will have a splendid time regardless of weather
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:11 pm

We went in November, 4 nights Amandari, 5 nights Amankila.

If I could do it over, we would do 3 nights Amankila, then 6 nights Amandari.

For our second trip, as much as we liked Amankila, we're probably sticking only to Amandari and another Indonesian Aman.

There was something very magical about Amandari to us. Hard to describe. My favorite moment was trekking through the adjacent rice paddy with a flimsy flash light at night, shrieking while frogs jumped across our feet (we're city people), and then sitting down at the steps that led into the valley below. All around fireflies buzzed on and off. In the distance, the gamelan music played with the occasional gecko chirp. Absolute magic.

Also preferred the food at Amandari to Amankila. We had Suite #2 at Dari, view of the valley, and I would watch the mist rising in the evening, the sunlight growing over the canopy of the trees in the morning. When I couldn't sleep, I would open the sliding glass doors, step outside, and listen to the sounds of the jungles.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:52 am
Suspended

I would prefer the Amandari

Both the Amandari and Amankila are great hotels...

On the one hand, The Amandari has been renovated in 2008 and now it is designed as an eco village and is part of the actual village Kedewatan. I really liked their villas, after it depends what you are looking for...

On the other hand you have the Amankila, 34 guest rooms fashioned as beach houses with a twist. They reflect the lines and flow of their East Bali surroundings.

Last edited by princesseluxe; Apr 10, 2012 at 3:42 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.