Ritz Carlton Philly

Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by am13
Also, consider The Rittenhouse -- a great, true luxury property.
Stayed in 2011 so not a fresh experience but this time I wasn´t too impressed. It was in the Top 100 TL list but there are more than 1000 better hotels outside. Perhaps it improoved.

It´s correct the rooms (not suites) are spacious.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Right now, I think that the Ritz in Philly is probably the nicest and best located property.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
My first (and last) stay at RC Philly

I know this is a very old thread, but just completed a 4 night stay at the RC Philly and was HUGELY disappointed! We are loyal Marriott people (currently LT Gold - soon to be LT Platinum) and expect a certain level of service. The RC Philly service was just awful! We had never stayed at a Ritz before, but expected top notch attention. Instead...
  • Started out by not being directed to the room elevators upon check-in. After looking for a few minutes, finally had to stop an employee to ask.
  • There were holes in the bathrobe in the room.
  • A doorman was at the door to open it for us only about half the time, and WASN'T there when we were checking out and trying to carry our suitcases out.
  • The one valet did not offer to load our bags into the car when we were leaving.
  • The maid staff was understaffed... when I called down to have my car brought around, I was told that the room would be cleaned while we were gone. We returned 4 hours later to find it still unmade.
  • After getting home, received an honorbar charge which wasn't mine. Called the hotel immediately and was told they couldn't help me and that Accounting would have to call me back in the morning.
These all seem like silly things - and each one on its own would be... but I (perhaps foolishly) expected more from a Ritz Carlton!

Last edited by dsperling; May 29, 2018 at 7:21 am Reason: formatting
Old May 29, 2018, 9:18 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dsperling
I know this is a very old thread, but just completed a 4 night stay at the RC Philly and was HUGELY disappointed! We are loyal Marriott people (currently LT Gold - soon to be LT Platinum) and expect a certain level of service. The RC Philly service was just awful! We had never stayed at a Ritz before, but expected top notch attention. Instead...
  • Started out by not being directed to the room elevators upon check-in. After looking for a few minutes, finally had to stop an employee to ask.
  • There were holes in the bathrobe in the room.
  • A doorman was at the door to open it for us only about half the time, and WASN'T there when we were checking out and trying to carry our suitcases out.
  • The one valet did not offer to load our bags into the car when we were leaving.
  • The maid staff was understaffed... when I called down to have my car brought around, I was told that the room would be cleaned while we were gone. We returned 4 hours later to find it still unmade.
  • After getting home, received an honorbar charge which wasn't mine. Called the hotel immediately and was told they couldn't help me and that Accounting would have to call me back in the morning.
These all seem like silly things - and each one on its own would be... but I (perhaps foolishly) expected more from a Ritz Carlton!
Not a fan of RC’s US properties but that sounds like a poor experience, even by RC standards. Did you bring any of these points up with management?
Old May 29, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Not a fan of RC’s US properties but that sounds like a poor experience, even by RC standards. Did you bring any of these points up with management?
We didn't complain on-site, but have already via phone and email. (By the way... it's 12:30 pm and I'm still waiting for "my call from accounting in the morning"...)
Old May 30, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
I haven't been to Philadelphia in some time. I wonder what the better option would be , perhaps the Rittenhouse?
Old May 31, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by m.photog
I haven't been to Philadelphia in some time. I wonder what the better option would be , perhaps the Rittenhouse?
Rooms are good sized but during my last stay (2011) it was in urgent need of renovation and service was underwhelming. Hope they improoved their experience now.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:02 am

Waiting for this to open end of the year - https://www.fourseasons.com/philadelphia/
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:09 am

The renovated rooms at the Rittenhouse, if in your budget, are worth a look. I believe they are called Park Suites. The unrenovated rooms might be disappointing. Another $10M renovation is in the works.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:08 am

Thought I would throw in my two cents since I've done a couple stays here lately and was surprised to not see much on FT about this property...

Summary: RINO - Ritz in name only. It's a Ritz from when you walk into the lobby until you enter the elevator; then it becomes a Westin with fancier toiletries.

Check-in: Agents are very friendly, professional, and welcoming. Unfortunately, for some reason they only seem to staff one of them at 6 PM on Mondays when the property is sold out.

Elite benefits: None as MR Platinum (none expected really - I had to haggle for even a room above the 11th floor, out of 30).

Lobby: By far the best part of the space. Gorgeous place in immaculate condition. The bar is excellent - the seating is great, the bartenders are professional, and the food and drink hit the spot (and the wallet, of course). I'd suggest eating dinner down here or in the restaurant over other options.

Rooms: The rooms I was given as Plat were the smallest I've ever seen at any Ritz, or possibly any big-city hotel in the U.S. Have to turn sideways to get between the couch thing at the foot of the bed and the TV stand. Desks are tiny and for some reason have HUGE lamps sitting on top of them which take up approximately 50% of the space. Not much room to do work. The bathrooms are more spacious, but shower-only. The bedding is of course quite nice. When it comes to room selection I would suggest facing out towards City Hall, not just for the view, but because the traffic noise is less than the deafening roar of the rooftop cooling towers running at full blast, which is what you get if you face south.

On-property amenities: Not really any. No pool, no sauna, etc. Gym is tiny and frankly an embarrassment; way below brand standards. The few pieces of equipment fill up by 6 AM. Compare this to the Ritz DC where there is an Equinox. Sigh; we can only dream...

In-room dining: Decent. It's too bad that they don't leverage the restaurant downstairs, which is excellent. The menu is a bit limited, honestly - no real starters (e.g. shrimp cocktails, etc.) and only one steak. Quality is good - the burger is excellent, and everything else that I had (steak, sides, etc.) came out perfectly cooked. Orders are delivered on time and the servers are kind and professional.

Ritz Club: Actually the first that I'd been to, and given all the hype and exclusivity, I thought I'd be impressed. In reality, I'd say that it is in line with an entry-level lounge at a European Hilton or Sheraton. At 6 PM, offerings were 4-5 liquors, a couple wines ($10-15 bottles; Mark West type stuff), and no beers that I could find. Food was a few cold canapes (cold beef skewers, etc.), a pretty skimpy cheese plate, and a few slices of charcuterie on what would be a serving dish for one order at a restaurant. Hot items were some sad chicken skewers and bake-from-frozen spanakopita. Dessert seemed to consist of cookies, best I could tell. To be fair they listed a separate dessert hour, but I wasn't going to wait until 8 PM for it. The woman running the club was very nice and extremely professional. The 10 minute wait for the elevator down (stairwell doors don't open back onto lower floors) was not fun. I went back down to my room and ordered a steak.

Final thoughts: Why is the hotel scene in Philly so poor? Aside from the Rittenhouse, which means forsaking loyalty points, and the new Four Seasons, which is pulling north of $600/night base, there's nothing to write home about. I thought this place would be a bright spot, but it's mostly just ehh in my book. I actually prefer the Westin - easier location to get in and out of, better elevators, real breakfast benefit, better desks, bigger rooms, better room service menu...
francophile and offerendum like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:14 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
RINO- Ritz in Name Only

Agree with the 2019 review: this is a Ritz in name only. They are clearly catering toward business travelers with this hotel. The property is not aging well and there are many disgusting stains. Service is good but exceptional.

Elite recognition was good. Noon check in, late checkout granted without issue, and a suite upgrade was given. However, the suite layout is very weird with doors having very little clearance.

Will not return but glad to check it off my Ritz list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.