Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

The Luxury Hotels of Chile (incomplete)

Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:57 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders

I got back last week from an 8-day trip to Chile while on a Fam Trip with other Brownell agents. While the emphasis was not on hotel site inspections but, rather, on learning about the destination, I was able to see a few hotels. Here's my take…

Ritz-Carlton Santiago

The only Virtuoso hotel in the city, this hotel offers everything you'd expect from a Ritz-Carlton, though it's not a WOW hotel. The lobby is paneled in dark wood, reminding some in our group of the lobby at RC Buckhead in Atlanta. There is a lobby bar off to the right side of the Lobby.

Rooms are a standard Deluxe size (430 sq ft). Bathrooms have a soaking tub, step-in shower, single vanity, and a separate W.C. The styling of the hallways and rooms is quite traditional.

The breakfast buffet was exceptional (included as a Virtuoso amenity), and there is a very nice fine dining restaurant on property where we had lunch one day. The hotel features a large rooftop swimming pool and hot tub.

The Ritz-Carlton Santiago is a part of Virtuoso, and beside the breakfast buffet and possible upgrade, amenities include a 30 minute massage for two, early check-in, late check-out, and welcome amenity.

W Santiago

Looking for something more contemporary? The W Santiago is a typical W Hotel. Guests enter on the ground floor, then take an elevator to the Lobby which is on the 4th floor. From the Lobby, a separate bank of elevators take guests to the guest floors.

There is a contemporary vibe to the W, from the pounding muzak playing in the lobby, to the very attractive rooftop bar and swimming pool that overlooks the city, to the guest rooms. I spent one evening in a Wonderful Room. The room was small — and felt small. There was just enough space to walk between the bed and desk to the room's windows (unless someone were sitting at the desk). Not enough space in the room for an easy chair to look out the windows - just a window seat.

The bathroom was small - a walk-in rain shower (with a glass wall between the shower and the bedroom), a small single vanity, and a separate WC. Only select rooms have a soaking tub, so these have to be specifically requested.

No turn-down service was provided, and though the hotel offered us a very nice 5 p.m. late check-out before our flight back to Atlanta, my room was not made up at all that day.

I enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

The Cliffs Preserve at Patagonia

This is a WOW resort located 70 miles from Puerto Montt (PMC). Our flight from SCL was met by several vans from the resort, providing us transfers to The Cliffs.

Located, as the name indicates, on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, it's an easy walk down to the beach - but you wouldn't want to swim in the water as it's too cold. The Cliffs brands itself as an eco-luxury resort. Set on 8000 acres of forests and six miles of coastline, this is a very remote setting. What do you do? There are countless outdoor activities - hiking, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, horseback riding … and a very nice spa for those who just want to be pampered.

Guests can book an individual Junior Suite, and families can book a 2BR, 3BR, or 4BR Villa. I would describe the rooms as rustically elegant. Each villa has a large living room and fully equipped kitchen; the contents of the stocked refrigerator - soft drinks, wine, etc. - are all included in the room price. The Cliffs would be an ideal resort for a family wanting an active but fully luxurious vacation.

Virtually everything is included in the room rate - breakfast, lunch, and dinner; wine, beer, and cocktails; most daily activities (including one spa treatment per guest during the stay); and even laundry service. The food was extraordinary; the Cliffs consistently served the best food that we had in Chile. The minimum stay is four nights. Virtuoso amenities include an upgrade if available upon check-in (they are rarely fully booked) AND your choice of a half-day horse backing riding or half-day trekking excursion with a Chilean Huaso Barbecue in a remote location.

The Singular Patagonia

Not [yet] Virtuoso, this hotel just opened in November, 2011. This is quite an unique property, occupying the grounds of a national historical landmark by the side of a lake , the Bories Cold-Storage Plant. Guests are literally staying in a museum and should take advantage of a free and very interesting guided tour of the exhibit. The old brick buildings have been preserved, to very good effect, and the large windows frame some gorgeous views of the lake, snow-capped mountains, and the flora surrounding the buildings.

The Singular is quite remote, about a 2.5 hour drive north of the airport at Punta Arenas (PUQ), although I recommend arranging your itinerary to take advantage of direct flights into Puerto Natales (PNT) to save the driving time.

Rooms are very large and comfortable, furnished with furniture reminiscent of the Victorian era in which the factory was built, yet set in a room designed to remind guests of the industrial factory setting of the hotel. The bathrooms are everything you'd want, with a double vanity, step-in rain shower, separate W.C., and soaking tub. WiFi is free … but maddeningly slow.

Four day all-inclusive packages are offered in high season, with shorter stays possible during other times of the year. A variety of excursions are included, including hiking and trekking trips into the Torres del Paine National Park, about 90 minutes away (over often bumpy dirt roads). The hotel's food is good but not great, and greater variety to the menu would be desirable.

This is a brand new hotel, and the Sales Management was very receptive to our feedback. This is a good product that should become better.

explora Patagonia - Hotel Salto Chico

While on our tour of the National Park, we had a site inspection of Hotel Salto Chico, the only five star property within the park… and this location is its main advantage. If you want to spend three days exploring the Torres del Paine National Park, it's best to drive in and out just once.

This hotel is about location, location, location. Lead-in Salto Chico rooms overlook the waterfall behind the hotel, while upgraded rooms have a stunning view of the lake and the mountains beyond. Rooms are quite small, reminding me of a Superior Room … and the bathrooms are also small (one colleague describing them as "lodge bathrooms"): shower in the tub, one small vanity, and a toilet. Suites are larger, reminiscent of a Junior Suite, with bathrooms that are more appropriate for a luxury property.

There is a 4-day minimum during high season, with shorter stays possible during other times of the year. A member of Virtuoso, guests receive an upgrade if available on arrival, a welcome gift, and early check-in/late check-out. The resort is fully inclusive with three meals a day and daily activities.

Last edited by DavidO; Apr 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good info ^

Originally Posted by DavidO
The Cliffs Preserve at Patagonia

8000 acres of forests and six miles of coastline

The food was extraordinary; the Cliffs consistently served the best food that we had in Chile.
18 rooms in six 2/3-4BR villas
suites are in villas
jr suites are lockoff with kitchenette
are there 2BRs without jr suites?

hear anything re awasi patagonia?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 26, 2012 at 2:52 pm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:19 pm

Terrific review, as usual. Thanks for posting.

While we are generally on the other side of the Andes, these properties could get us to Chile. Gracias.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.