THE Hotel not to be missed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THE Hotel not to be missed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Second Update

First a clarification: several people named more then one hotel as far as they just cannot stick with one. The way I'm handling it, to be fair with everyone, is to pick just THE first property they mentioned and adding it to the regular list, while the additional properties named will just be incorporate in another list of "generically named properties" that I'm adding at the end of the post.

Five days from the thread start and - below are the preferences expressed by 34 contributors up to now:

3 Mentions
Villa Feltrinelli (Lake Garda - Italy) cadogan1, Groombridge, Londonjetsetter

2 Mentions
Il San Pietro (Positano - Italy): The_Daddy, BLV
Amanpulo (Pamalican Islands - Philippines): damaxer91, Musken
Amanjiwo (Java - Indonesia): zigzag, deer

1 Mention
Park Hyatt Tokyo (Tokyo - Japan): maskelo
The Oberoi Amarvilas (Agra - India): banness
Raffles (Singapore): hailstorm
Blanket Bay (Glenorchy - New Zealand): instyleprincess
Six Senses Ninh Van Bay (Ninh Van Bay - Thailand) : A380 Flyer
Amankila (Bali - Indonesia): peter11
Schoenburg Castle (Schonburg - Germany): SanDiego1K
Maya Ubud (Bali - Indonesia): smith80678
Katikies (Santorini - Greece): justforfun
Four Seasons NYC (New York City - USA): MCruler
Palazzo Sasso (Ravello - Italy): Baghoarder
Yellowstone Club (Montana - USA): 5khours Edit (Yellowstone is by invitation only residential club and sky resort)
Hotel Bora Bora (Bora Bora - French Polinesia): ORDSteve
Rania Island (Faafu Atoll - Maldives): RA-wannabe
Tawaraya Ryokan (Kyoto - Japan): obscure2k
Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle (Chiang Saen - Thailand) : Ib8001
Rayavadee (Krabi - Thailand): MikeFromTokyo
Glenmere Mansion (Chester - USA): henrikfromdenmark
Londolozi Tree Camp (Kruger National Park - South Africa): Jac747
Singita Boulders (Kruger National Park - South Africa): Larkin

Italy, Indonesia, USA and Thailand are the Countries that, at the moment, have more unforgettable properties with 3 hotels each named (Il San Pietro, Villa Feltrinelli, Palazzo Sasso) (Amanjiwo, Amankila, Maya Ubud)(Yellowstone Club, Four Seasons NYC, Glenmere Mansion)(Six Senses Ninh Van Bay, Rayavadee Resort, Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle)
Surprisingly, still Aman is the "chain" mentioned more times (Amanpulo, Amanjiwo, Amankila, Amanpuri)

Other properties that did not make it to THE List or properties just named in the thread:

Danieli (Venice - Italy) / Four Seasons Provence (Provence - France) / Four Seasons Chinzan-So (Tokyo - Japan) / Gritti (Venice - Italy) / Como Shambala Estate (Bali - Indonesia) / Umaid Bhawan Palace (Rajasthan - India) / Amanpuri (Phuket - Thailand) / Cipriani (Venice - Italy) / Bauer (Venice - Italy) / Four Seasons Hualalai (Big Island Hawai - USA) / Fregate Island (Fregate Island - Seychelles) / Laucala Island (Laucala Island - Fiji) / Mandarin Oriental (Bangkok - Thailand) / The Peninsula Bangkok (Bangkok - Thailand) / Rayavadee (Krabi - Thailand) / Mauna Kea Beach Hotel (Hawai - USA) / Hotel du Cap Antibes (Cap D'Antibes - France) / Singita Sweni Lodge (Kruger National Park - South Africa) / Ratua Private Island (Luganville - Vanuatu) / Wakaya Club (Wakaya Island- Fiji) / North Island (North Island - Seychelles)

Please feel free to comment, to name new properties or to support Your property even if already named.
Thanks

daddy
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:46 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Why do you write that it Aman is surprisingly still the chain most mentioned? For me it would be surprising if it was not like this. If I had to pick my number two, three, four, five and six, it would be Amanjiwo, Amandari, Amankila, Aman Sveti Stefan and Amanjena in that order.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by Musken
Why do you write that it Aman is surprisingly still the chain most mentioned? For me it would be surprising if it was not like this. If I had to pick my number two, three, four, five and six, it would be Amanjiwo, Amandari, Amankila, Aman Sveti Stefan and Amanjena in that order.
Of course it has to be like that. Sorry for that. Sometimes I try to be sarcastic and I believe everybody will get me. I did not expect anyone else then Aman to be top mentioned, that's why i said "surprisingly".

But it is giving me the idea that maybe One day we should start a thread about top non chain related properties, the reason being that frankly speaking I, and I believe many others, was already aware of all the amans,fourseasons,mo, etc earlier mentioned in this thread....while some individual owned property came as a nice surprise. Being out of the radar of the major luxury chain they are more difficult to spot...i believe such a thread, with the support of such a well travelled community, can really become a great platform for travel planning....
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I agree: Amankora and Amankila are also in my "top 10," and Amanusa, Amangiri, Amantaka, and Amanpuri all in my "top 20." But some "non-chain" properties, too:

1. Villa Feltrinelli (Lago di Garda, Italy)
2. The Farm at Cape Kidnappers (New Zealand)
3. Amankora (Bhutan)
4. Oberoi Udaivilas (Udaipur, India)
5. Wolgan Valley (Australia)
6. Four Seasons Tented Camp (Golden Triangle, Thailand)
7. Four Seasons Istanbul-Bosphorus (Turkey)
8. Amankila (Bali)
9. Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace (Jodhpur, India)
10. Four Seasons Chiang Mai (Thailand)
11. Four Seasons Langkawi (Malaysia)
12. Dolder Grand (Zurich)
13. Amanusa (Bali)
14. Rosewood Mayakoba (Riviera Maya, Mexico)
15. Amangiri (Utah, USA)
16. Amantaka (Luang Prabang, Laos)
17. Amanpuri (Phuket, Thailand)
18. Dar Ahlam (Morocco)
19. Castiglion del Bosco (Tuscany)
20. Oberoi Amarvilas (Agra)
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold
What about the Singita properties in Tanzania?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:13 am

After several excruciating bouts of internal battles I decided that my choice for THE HOTEL is ... AMANPURI .

at least until I stay in the next hotel that will blow my mind even after over 20 odd years .
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:49 am

Twin Farms, a must when visiting the USA
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i dont know why people say there is no discussion of non/small-chain here, there is plenty.

two, three, four, five and six, it would be Amanjiwo, Amandari, Amankila, Aman Sveti Stefan and Amanjena in that order
Originally Posted by Groombridge
1. Villa Feltrinelli (Lago di Garda, Italy)
2. The Farm at Cape Kidnappers (New Zealand)
3. Amankora (Bhutan)
4. Oberoi Udaivilas (Udaipur, India)
5. Wolgan Valley (Australia)
6. Four Seasons Tented Camp (Golden Triangle, Thailand)
7. Four Seasons Istanbul-Bosphorus (Turkey)
8. Amankila (Bali)
9. Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace (Jodhpur, India)
10. Four Seasons Chiang Mai (Thailand)
11. Four Seasons Langkawi (Malaysia)
12. Dolder Grand (Zurich)
13. Amanusa (Bali)
14. Rosewood Mayakoba (Riviera Maya, Mexico)
15. Amangiri (Utah, USA)
16. Amantaka (Luang Prabang, Laos)
17. Amanpuri (Phuket, Thailand)
18. Dar Ahlam (Morocco)
19. Castiglion del Bosco (Tuscany)
20. Oberoi Amarvilas (Agra)
wow. ^^

reply to post "complaining" about lack of non/small-chain >

Originally Posted by zigzag
Twin Farms
might be reply to post "complaining" about lack of non/small-chain >
Originally Posted by jwurz
Singita properties in Tanzania
all that matters in this forum is quality/service.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by jwurz
What about the Singita properties in Tanzania?
They were voted number one in the world by Travel+Leisure. The main lodge Sasakwa being the best, it was very special. It's not my number one favorite as THE hotel though. It's one of many. There are so many incredible hotels in the world.. Looking forward to read more.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

henrikfromdenmark, just thought of something that would be really valuable >

list of service problems you experienced by property, and therefore which properties did not have problems you experienced

you could then do groupings and other sorting

not sure if youve already taken that into account
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Devi Garh, Udaipur, India.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: SPG, Amex Platinum
IMO at least it would be better to categorize the hotel/resort type. You can not compare a beach resort to a city or mountain resort.

Here are my votes:
Beach resort - Amanpulo
Cultural resort - Amanjiwo
City hotel - FS Paris
Mountain / Ski property: FS Jackson hole
African safari camp: Andbeyond - Bateleur Camp (have not been to Singita)
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aesla11
IMO at least it would be better to categorize the hotel/resort type. You can not compare a beach resort to a city or mountain resort.
thats not the point, this is not a "best" thread or a "favorite" thread - been done before - this is a much more abstract thread. there is no comparison. its an abstract emotional personal (intangible?) choice.

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
Which one is THE Hotel not to be missed absolutely in a life time. That property that, absolutely, you MUST see at least once.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the difference with this thread is its asking to pick one from best properties, best suites, best views, best excursions, best settings, best (private) beaches, history, art, design, amenities

chefs at hotels where dining is not open to public might also be considered
private skiing and golf would be others

it CAN be overall, but doesnt HAVE to be overall

Reclamed to the rock it is a unique architecture that meld within nature

Every room is sea front view with a terrace

one of the most impressive view of the planet

at sunset, Positano starts lighting on
architecture
view
base room isnt "garden view" etc
That's exactly what I meant..... It does not have to be the best....I can think about many hotels that I consider from several point of view better then the hotel I named.... I wanted to ask something that belong more to a unique feeling that this certain Hotel can stimulate in a person....
Great addition to your question. If you would have written this in the first place, I would surely have said Amanpulo. It just got me, it was what my family and myself needed at this point of time...total experience was just perfect. The memories from Amanpulo will always be in my heart, many other hotel memories are on pictures.
Absolutely I agree, It is totally personal and that is what i meant to ask.
also - what would be biggest loss if closed (or offering if ended)
(im sure there are many such properties that have already, but that is for another thread)
For me the Amanpulo holiday was the best I ever had...right now, I love Amanpulo the most
THE Hotel should be somehow perfectly integrate within the environment and reflect part of its culture/history
Originally Posted by 5khours
I like your description of perfectly integrating within the environment.
Originally Posted by cadogan1
more the essence of a place...the place that immediately jumped into my head and stayed there throughout my internal thought process was Villa Feltrinelli although it was 6 or 7 years ago that we went there.

I remember a feeling of ease, relaxation, reflection and of course utter, utter comfort and beauty of surroundings during our stay there that can make me feel at peace just thinking about it now all these years later! Now it may have been circumstantial, connected to the timing of my trip there (for example my visits to Amanpulo have always been with children in tow and whilst i love holidaying with them it is never as relaxing as those pre-children trips!) so i guess i'll just have to get back there soon to test that out, but something about that property just makes it stand out amongst many jewels as THE hotel for me!
Originally Posted by bearbrick
AMANPURI...at least until I stay in the next hotel that will blow my mind even after over 20 odd years
henrikfromdenmark, singita vs wilderness safaris and &beyond and others?
i believe the only comparison(s) so far equate singita and wilderness safaris.
also, Larkin has done all 3 and others, and only mentioned A&K/sanctuary as a step down.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 11, 2013 at 3:10 pm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

apologies in advance >
you have one week to live - what hotel? (IIRC giorgio armani's response to this was park hyatt tokyo) edit >

Originally Posted by 5khours
One other data point. Giorgio Armani was once asked what he would do if he knew he only had one day left to live and he replied "Check in to the Tokyo Park Hyatt."
just another attempt at framing this (although it could also be different)
(kind of like how this could also be different >)
also - what would be biggest loss if closed (or offering if ended)
(im sure there are many such properties that have already, but that is for another thread)
edit - im only trying to clarify OP question - not asking for additional different choices

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 16, 2016 at 5:55 pm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I've had to think about this. I assume we are limited to hotels that we have actually stayed. My vote goes to the now closed Hotel Bora Bora, with Lizard Island and Amanpulo a close second/third.

If we are a keeping score, could you issue a negative vote to
Raffles (tourist trap extraordinaire)
Park Hyatt Tokyo (famous bar with an awkward hotel attached)

While both of these places might be cool to 'check out', they leave much to be desired as 5* hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.