Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston: Mandarin, Four Seasons, Ritz?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Boston: Mandarin, Four Seasons, Ritz?

Greetings everyone. Just waiting to hear back from FSPP on pricing for all three hotels, but what one is a big hit on this board? I am assuming all 3 will be in the same price range so what are the points that sway your opinion on one or another? I've read the FS is a great location and pending nice weather, great for a walk during day or after dinner.

Surprising the wife with a night away for our 9 year (been together, not married) anniversary. I know one night stay we won't be able to experience what makes these hotels the top of the top, but we will do our best
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:11 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The Mandarin, if you have a chance to use the spa even more so. FS is 2nd choice in my books.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
MO

As between 4S and RC, depends on what is most important to you:

Newer bathroom/more modern room: RC
Hipper atmosphere: RC
Traditional Boston experience: 4S
Service: 4S
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
MO

As between 4S and RC, depends on what is most important to you:

Newer bathroom/more modern room: RC
Hipper atmosphere: RC
Traditional Boston experience: 4S
Service: 4S
This is a pretty good assessment.

Having said that, I found the service at the Ritz to be a very thin cut below the FS, and the location, while removed in the immediate sense, is about a 90 second walk from the nicer part of the Common.

For an anniversary, I think the FS in a Common-view room would be the way to go. While I prefer the Ritz, I've only stayed there as a business traveler. The FS is definitely the most romantic experience.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Greetings everyone. Just waiting to hear back from FSPP on pricing for all three hotels, but what one is a big hit on this board? I am assuming all 3 will be in the same price range so what are the points that sway your opinion on one or another? I've read the FS is a great location and pending nice weather, great for a walk during day or after dinner.

Surprising the wife with a night away for our 9 year (been together, not married) anniversary. I know one night stay we won't be able to experience what makes these hotels the top of the top, but we will do our best
Without a doubt, The Four Seasons, especially if you have a room overlooking The Boston Public Garden.

The Ritz is in the former Boston Combat Zone, a trashy neighborhood, replete, still, with hookers, homeless people and drunks peeing on the sidewalk.

Today was 60 degrees in Boston. Not sure when you're planning your trip to Boston.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by nba1017
This is a pretty good assessment.

Having said that, I found the service at the Ritz to be a very thin cut below the FS, and the location, while removed in the immediate sense, is about a 90 second walk from the nicer part of the Common.

For an anniversary, I think the FS in a Common-view room would be the way to go. While I prefer the Ritz, I've only stayed there as a business traveler. The FS is definitely the most romantic experience.
You do not look over The Boston Common at The Four Seasons. You look over The Boston Public Garden, a far cry and about 1000 steps above The Boston Common, replete with Swan Boats, weeping willows and manicured and maintained to the tune of $2 million+ per year, flower gardens - that you can see from your Public Garden View Room - April - October.

View from a Public Garden Room.

$2 million figure is not indicative of what the city of Boston spends, but includes private funding, as well. The $2 million figure is based on fact that I am privy to. In addition, if you factor in all of the volunteering in the Garden, the amount would more than double.

Last edited by laxconnorw; Feb 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

This will be in early Feb. so hopefully no snow
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Four Seasons hands down IMO. Room overlooking the garden is best as people say.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
The Mandarin Oriental gets my vote - lovely rooms, great bar and restaurant and a fantastic spa........ indeed everything is top notch and in a great location on Boylston Street. I can't wait to stay there again

The MO is not as big as the FS, so the service is more personal
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
4S has the better location (by far).
MO has the better spa (by far).

I much prefer the lounge at the 4S and find the MO common areas to be chopped up and not very warm. The MO is much newer and the rooms reflect that.

I wouldn't even consider the Ritz over the other two.

I prefer the 4S, however my wife thinks the MO is worth it for the spa alone.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Haven't stayed at the Ritz, so I can't comment. IF you are a bar hound, the Bristol Lounge at the FS is one of my favorites in the world. It is normal to fight the locals for seats. I consider this a good thing for a hotel bar. When I stayed at the MO, I walked down to the FS to eat/drink at the bar. FS gets my vote.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Just booked the Four Seasons and have made dinner reservations at Mamma Maria in the North End. I am not telling her where we are going just that she needs an overnight bag.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Just booked the Four Seasons and have made dinner reservations at Mamma Maria in the North End. I am not telling her where we are going just that she needs an overnight bag.
Cool. Make sure to tell the hotel about the anniversary before you arrive.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Cool. Make sure to tell the hotel about the anniversary before you arrive.
I told my agent (FSPP) about it. But might call the hotel to "confirm" the reservations.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by Larkin
Four Seasons hands down IMO. Room overlooking the garden is best as people say.
I agree, the FS in Boston is one of my favorite big city Hotels and I also agree the rooms overlooking the public garden are not to be missed. Even with my fondness for the FS I hope to try the MO on some future trip. I don't care for the location of the RC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.