Reload this Page >

The Como Hotels and Resorts Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Como Hotels and Resorts Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:01 am

It is a fine resort, especially if you can get a good deal, but not quite up to standards of other Phuket resorts (namely Trisara and Puri) or other COMO hotels. I wouldn't stay again, mainly for architectural reasons... it's a bit to stark and minimal for my taste, especially considering the surroundings. I get COMO's white-on-white-on-white esthetics but doesn't work that well here. It has to be one of the worst designs on that island, if you look at the buildings and interiors.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sydakllon
Has anyone got an update on COMO Point Yamu in Phuket? I know it's not in the same league as Amanpuri or Trisara, but they've offered me a really good deal for their One Bedroom Pool Villa which makes it hard to consider any others given the inclusions that come with the villa and the extras the hotel have offered. This is for a four-night stay in early April.
I stayed in the one bedroom pool villa and really liked it. Very comfortable and attractive views. Great service from your butler. I would only stay for a few days, because of the lack of beach and the beach club is a pain to get to.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by sydakllon
Has anyone got an update on COMO Point Yamu in Phuket? I know it's not in the same league as Amanpuri or Trisara, but they've offered me a really good deal for their One Bedroom Pool Villa which makes it hard to consider any others given the inclusions that come with the villa and the extras the hotel have offered. This is for a four-night stay in early April.
The pool villas are the only acceptable accommodation at Point Yamu. It is a very ugly resort - quite out of keeping with the island. The food and service, though, are good - certainly up to COMO standards.

The beach club has been ruined by the Chinese investors that own the beach island. They are building a huge resort there, so the work impacts on the beautiful little area that COMO has. If you don't want to spend time at the beach, and just laze around your private pool, then I guess 4 nights could be OK.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:16 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Thanks for the advice. Not overly fussed if we have a pool vacation. Will spend a day at the beach club and a day on a boat in Phang Nga bay. Was thinking of having dinner at Amanpuri (if people think worth it - not sure what dining is like on Phuket these days) and may sneak down to the beach beforehand. It's one of the best on the island.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:26 am

We've been looking at a December stay at Point Yamu and the price is considerably lower than other resorts (even lower quality ones). Does anyone have any updates on the resort? It is slightly off-putting that the rates are so good, which makes me think there is something wrong with the place, but generally reviews are very good and it is a Como, so it cant be that bad!!!

Is there any update on the beach club from anyone who has visited? Has the nearby development ruined the experience?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by twentyfourseven
We've been looking at a December stay at Point Yamu and the price is considerably lower than other resorts (even lower quality ones). Does anyone have any updates on the resort? It is slightly off-putting that the rates are so good, which makes me think there is something wrong with the place, but generally reviews are very good and it is a Como, so it cant be that bad!!!

Is there any update on the beach club from anyone who has visited? Has the nearby development ruined the experience?
The management and staff are very good indeed, as is the food. The accommodation is super contemporary, so not for everyone, but the pool villas are much better. The location is on a peninsula, in the muslim part of Phuket, so has a very different feel, but the views are lovely. The beach club is quite a boat ride away and the owners of that island (Chinese) were in the process of building a big resort right behind the beach club, but I don't know if this has been diverted - I suspect not. COMO were looking for an alternative island when I was there last.

If you stick to the main complex of the hotel and use the pool, then the experience is not bad - and very good value compared to other Phuket resorts, but it is not what I would call 5-star - more of a 4-star plus experience, with five-star food.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:41 am

Thank you.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with 4+ star - that seems to be a perfect summary.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:00 am

I had a really good time at Point Yamu this June. We had a Bay Pool Suite in the south wing, with an excellent sunset view. Service was rock solid, IMO, and they took really good care of me and my then wheelchair bound wife from start to end, tweaking anything they could to make things easier for us without appearing pitiful or pretentious. Overall, I think it matched up to our stellar stay at The Datai previously, so I'm not completely convinced with the 4+ star verdict.

The design is divisive for sure, but being architects, we rather appreciated the bold take on the island's industrial heritage and the deft reinterpretation of traditional Thai motifs. Also, the views were framed fabulously and practical details were well executed. IMO, it was a nice break from the rather stale tradition of lotus pools, buddha statues, and salas dropped left, right and centre else where.

We didn't use the beach club, leaving that bit for The Sarojin (great beach, good service, excellent food, but due for a refurbishment). In fact I'd recommend people to stay at Yamu for views alone, and then spend some nights at another beach property. It worked rather well for us.
uggboy likes this.

Last edited by esotericidiot; Sep 15, 2017 at 1:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.