Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels In New York

Luxury Hotels In New York

Old May 22, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MinsaButchen
I know its mostly illegal but is there away to book an apartment in NYC for 2 weeks. Or is that against the short stay rules.
buildings can have minumum leases, but they are not laws
there are no minimum rental laws in new york city
(such laws do exist, but i think they are rare)

plenty of (luxury) hotel options (room with kitchen, or apartment, or condohotel)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 22, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Old May 22, 2013, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by MinsaButchen
I know its mostly illegal but is there away to book an apartment in NYC for 2 weeks. Or is that against the short stay rules.
The Mark and The Carlyle come to mind for this, but many other options also have full kitchens.

The Mark has particularly good looking kitchens with brand new appliances.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; May 22, 2013 at 10:50 pm
Old May 25, 2013, 5:53 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
buildings can have minumum leases, but they are not laws
there are no minimum rental laws in new york city
(such laws do exist, but i think they are rare)

plenty of (luxury) hotel options (room with kitchen, or apartment, or condohotel)
Actually - there are laws outlawing this in NYC and other places these days:

http://skift.com/2013/01/07/airbnbs-...legal-rentals/

Some of the main reasons behind the laws are health and safety issues (hotels and similar are held to higher standards than standard residential occupancies when it comes to things like fire codes). Robyn
Old May 25, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NYC >
thanks robyng, 2 years ago, cant believe i forgot
re rentals less than 30 days >
(lux) condohotel seem legal, hotel fractional (incl st regis) and timeshare must be legal
seems to only apply to multi-family, and there seem to be other legal exceptions as well

in general >
maybe the laws are becoming more common, using existing laws as precedent

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 26, 2013 at 10:55 am
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am currently staying in an entry level suite at the Carlyle hotel on the Upper East Side.

This is a luxury hotel that was built in 1930 and it shows its age in the usual ways, such as tiny, tiny, tiny bathrooms. You literally have to do a bit of contortion to exit the shower/bath and if you forget to put the top of the seat down, you may find yourself stepping into the toilet. It is a genuine suite -- two rooms, ample closet space, and a guest lavatory with sink and toilet (which is more spacious than in the main bathroom). The noisy a/c is clearly a more recent addition and cycles on and off with apparently no way to leave the noise level constant. Rooms do have adequate lighting. Furnishings are well-aged and not overwhelming in quality to begin with. TVs have been updated to flat panels.

There are 3-4 lifts but only two are usable during the day and only one at all other times, because the hotel chooses to require lift attendants in the small, but automatic, elevators and they don't have more attendants on duty than noted.

The included virtuoso/FHR buffet breakfast is nothing special with a smallish selection; overall decent. For Virtuoso, you can choose room service but only get a $50 room credit. As two continental breakfasts cost $72++ through room service, your credit won't go far.

On the plus side, staff seems quite anxious to help, with the exception of some gnarly front desk staff.

The hotel seems to encourage lots of pets, kids, and long term residents.

I don't see peeling paint as reported by folks at the Waldorf-Astoria Towers but I suspect the vintage is about the same.

Internet access is $15 a day plus tax.

I likely will pick somewhere else next time. It's really remodel time here.

Looking back at DavidO's review three years ago in the following thread, it's hard to believe we stayed at the same hotel -- maybe other rooms had been renovated and mine wasn't? However, my room is ivory colored; if it has been renovated, it hasn't aged well. Note that Virtuoso amenities have been significantly degraded since David's stay. The additional amenity is now a $100 spa credit; it's hard to know what this is really worth without hassle as the in-room spa catalog doesn't list prices!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

Last edited by RichardInSF; Aug 5, 2013 at 9:50 pm
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I am currently staying in an entry level suite at the Carlyle hotel on the Upper East Side.

This is a luxury hotel that was built in 1930 and it shows its age in the usual ways, such as tiny, tiny, tiny bathrooms. You literally have to do a bit of contortion to exit the shower/bath and if you forget to put the top of the seat down, you may find yourself stepping into the toilet. It is a genuine suite -- two rooms, ample closet space, and a guest lavatory with sink and toilet (which is more spacious than in the main bathroom). The noisy a/c is clearly a more recent addition and cycles on and off with apparently no way to leave the noise level constant. Rooms do have adequate lighting. Furnishings are well-aged and not overwhelming in quality to begin with. TVs have been updated to flat panels.

There are 3-4 lifts but only two are usable during the day and only one at all other times, because the hotel chooses to require lift attendants in the small, but automatic, elevators and they don't have more attendants on duty than noted.

The included virtuoso/FHR buffet breakfast is nothing special with a smallish selection; overall decent. For Virtuoso, you can choose room service but only get a $50 room credit. As two continental breakfasts cost $72++ through room service, your credit won't go far.

On the plus side, staff seems quite anxious to help, with the exception of some gnarly front desk staff.

The hotel seems to encourage lots of pets, kids, and long term residents.

I don't see peeling paint as reported by folks at the Waldorf-Astoria Towers but I suspect the vintage is about the same.

Internet access is $15 a day plus tax.

I likely will pick somewhere else next time. It's really remodel time here.

Looking back at DavidO's review three years ago in the following thread, it's hard to believe we stayed at the same hotel -- maybe other rooms had been renovated and mine wasn't? However, my room is ivory colored; if it has been renovated, it hasn't aged well. Note that Virtuoso amenities have been significantly degraded since David's stay. The additional amenity is now a $100 spa credit; it's hard to know what this is really worth without hassle as the in-room spa catalog doesn't list prices!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479
Just heard that a massive refurbishment will happen next year, under the new ownership. Should be very interesting!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:38 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Just heard that a massive refurbishment will happen next year, under the new ownership. Should be very interesting!
I asked a concierge about that and they stated that it would continue on a floor-by-floor basis, "as they are doing now."

That suggests that I am on an unrefurbed floor, especially given that the flooring has lost its varnish in spots.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I asked a concierge about that and they stated that it would continue on a floor-by-floor basis, "as they are doing now."

That suggests that I am on an unrefurbed floor, especially given that the flooring has lost its varnish in spots.
Always best to ask for a refurbished room. Sounds as though yours was not, given the floor.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 5:36 am
Suspended

Well you should not worry about the UN meeting as it would not make such a large impact on your vacation. The Mark is a really nice place to accommodate and it will suit many of your requirements.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini Club, STARS, Hyatt Priv, Peninsula PenClub, etc.
Re: Langham Place Fifth Avenue (formerly The Setai Fifth Avenue) the other nice aspect of Virtuoso, in addition to the included amenities (upgrade on availability, complimentary breakfast, $100 F&B credit) is that the rates are 10% lower than BAR. Just booked a client here, who is appreciative of the larger rooms (smallest are 420 sq ft and next smallest is 688 sq ft) vs. other NYC rooms. Cons are that there's no pool and have found Ai Fiori underwhelming for lunch, though breakfast was quite good.

Originally Posted by kronik1
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I've found that some of the things that have resulted in making another reservation (niceties like free complete refills of the minibar, drycleaning services, etc.) have either been changed or completely removed. AMEX's rate is currently lower than LHW's but since it's not FHR, there's no real incentives. The Virtuoso option doesn't sound half bad.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by TravelConcierge
Cons are that there's no pool and have found Ai Fiori underwhelming for lunch, though breakfast was quite good.
The lack of a pool is definitively a con. I had dinner and lunch at Ai Fiori and both was really good, in my eyes one level with Marea. But ist was March 2012
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
To me the biggest con is the location. That's not where I want to be when I walk out of my hotel.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: BA
Soho luxury?

I'm travelling to NYC next year for the US open tennis and will be staying in Soho, (we like Soho).

On a previous visit we stayed in the Trump Soho which was very nice rooms and bathrooms but would like something a little different this time. Thinking of The Greenwich & Crosby street at the moment but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by heronb
I'm travelling to NYC next year for the US open tennis and will be staying in Soho, (we like Soho).

On a previous visit we stayed in the Trump Soho which was very nice rooms and bathrooms but would like something a little different this time. Thinking of The Greenwich & Crosby street at the moment but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Both these hotels are excellent. The Greenwich tends to be fully booked these days, but if you can get in, then it is well worth it. Crosby Street is also great, but unlike Greenwich does not have a Spa and food is, perhaps, not quite as memorable as Locande Verde. It depends upon your priorities. Rooms/suites at Crosby Street are superb - lots and lots of light from floor to ceiling windows and individually decorated. Very spacious bathrooms for NYC. Tough choice.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:24 pm

http://nypost.com/2013/12/09/slick-n...and-furiously/

Good to know there will be many more luxury hotels to choose from in New York City

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.