Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels In New York

Luxury Hotels In New York

Old May 13, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Arrow29
Would you guys cancel and
book with The Plaza, or should I stick to what I've got?
The Plaza has largely converted to condos. My last stay there was disastrous. I'd stick with the Surrey. My favorite at the moment is the Mark. I have found that the FS lacks buzz since Atelier closed.
Old May 13, 2013, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
The Plaza has largely converted to condos...My favorite at the moment is the Mark.
lots of (new york) luxury hotels have residences incl mark and trump intl

plaza has 282 rooms and 181 condos including some in hotel inventory
Old May 13, 2013, 4:47 pm

The Plaza unfortunately is so similar to many Fairmonts, a lot of pretension and show, so very little luxury.. While FS is Prince Al Waleed's luxury hotel group, Fairmont frankly is his budget hotel group ...
Old May 14, 2013, 8:55 am

Thanks for the advice, everyone, appreciate it. Have decided to stick with our booking at the Surrey
Old May 19, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: AMEX, Langham 1865, HHonors
I have a booking currently for Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. I stayed there last year while it was still Capella managed and I actually quite enjoyed it (though there were a couple service hiccups). What I've seen here has given me pause - any reasonable deals out there for luxury hotels for May 30th-June 3rd? Was getting LP for 500 a night, can't seem to find anything of the same caliber but at the same price point.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, kronik1!
Old May 20, 2013, 7:51 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Langham Place Fifth Avenue is the former Setai Fifth Avenue, and it is a reasonably priced Manhattan possibility right by the Empire State Building and Radio City. Could you set us know what it is that has given you pause?

It is Virtuoso, and the amenities are:
  • Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
  • Continental breakfast daily, for up to two in room guests
  • $100 USD Food & Beverage credit, to be utilized during stay

You might check Ritz-Carlton Battery Park. Statue of Liberty room at $395, and Club room at $545, with Virtuoso amenities.

Originally Posted by kronik1
I have a booking currently for Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. I stayed there last year while it was still Capella managed and I actually quite enjoyed it (though there were a couple service hiccups). What I've seen here has given me pause - any reasonable deals out there for luxury hotels for May 30th-June 3rd? Was getting LP for 500 a night, can't seem to find anything of the same caliber but at the same price point.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by Arrow29
Thanks for the advice, everyone, appreciate it. Have decided to stick with our booking at the Surrey

Just got back from the Surrey and loved it... It's the only R&C hotel in NYC - we stayed there because it's pet-friendly. Highlights included the comfortable Duxiana bed, breakfast at Caf Boulud, the body cream and toiletries by Laura Tonatto and a great facial at Spa Cornelia. It's a boutique hotel so not like the Plaza (never) or the MO (which we also like). The location is great too...
Old May 20, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: AMEX, Langham 1865, HHonors
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I've found that some of the things that have resulted in making another reservation (niceties like free complete refills of the minibar, drycleaning services, etc.) have either been changed or completely removed. AMEX's rate is currently lower than LHW's but since it's not FHR, there's no real incentives. The Virtuoso option doesn't sound half bad.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Yes the MO is in a mall but what a mall you are above 7 Michelin Stars and next to 10 Michelin Stars. The Time Warner Centre is a very good mall its not just a cheap horrible mall. It also has Bouchon Bakery which is a fab place for breakfast.

Originally Posted by grumbler
1. FS rooms are bland - I find it a thoroughly uninspiring FS.
2. MO has great rooms, and is a real skyscraper hotel. Service is not super, though - and you are in a big mall.
3. Peninsula - OK, but probably one of the weakest hotels in the chain. Chicago still better.
4. Lowell - very nice service and very intimate. But seriously blue rinse crowd, and it is a bit fuddy duddy. Which kind of fits the Harper guides.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:25 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by MinsaButchen
... it also has Bouchon Bakery which is a fab place for breakfast.
Who pays for breakfast when they get it free with Virtuoso or FAN Club amenities?
Old May 22, 2013, 7:49 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by DavidO
Who pays for breakfast when they get it free with Virtuoso or FAN Club amenities?
Oh come on.... Just because it is free doesn't mean there isn't a better/more fun/unique way of doing bfast.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DavidO
People that are bored with eating in the hotel for 14 days straight
Old May 22, 2013, 9:36 pm
Suspended

I really like a hotel with a spa and pool if possible my legs get sore and like warm water to sooth them so a jacuzzi will suffice. But I did love the spa at the Oriental it did have the best treatments but they did try to charge me for entering.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:38 pm
Suspended

I know its mostly illegal but is there away to book an apartment in NYC for 2 weeks. Or is that against the short stay rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.