Luxury Hotels In New York

Luxury Hotels In New York

Old May 5, 2013, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by subhashkashi
Here is the list of Best Luxury Hotels in New York
Cool List! To be honest, like MSPeconomist I would be interested how this list came together. Can´t see any pattern.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Cool List! To be honest, like MSPeconomist I would be interested how this list came together. Can´t see any pattern.
I hope you are being sarcastic here but am not sure. That list is utterly worthless. It contains a few of the city's top hotels, but omits many more. At the same time it includes properties that most would consider to be four star, if that.

It's a laugh that Four Seasons is placed near the bottom of the list, well below Ws and other awful hotels.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by tmr10001
I believe the majority of the above list would not be considered luxury hotels in New York. I would consider the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and the Mark to be luxury.. everything else on this list is not luxury.
The Mercer is the only other choice that qualifies as high-end.

The "list" omits the Lowell, the Greenwich, Crosby Street Hotel, The Peninsula, The Pierre, Ritz-Carlton Central Park, The Carlyle, Hotel Plaza Athénée, and perhaps others.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; May 5, 2013 at 11:43 am
Old May 5, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I hope you are being sarcastic here but am not sure.
Of course it was (very angry look), especially as I coudn´t and can´t imagain, that the numbers mean a ranking. It´s like: Hey poor guy! So sorry for you staying at Four Seasons - greating from the Barcley
Old May 5, 2013, 5:00 pm

Of course it was (very angry look), especially as I coudn´t and can´t imagain, that the numbers mean a ranking. It´s like: Hey poor guy! So sorry for you staying at Four Seasons - greating from the Barcley

Though I would clearly stay away from the FS unless CP view / suite. Booked an entry level room there two years ago for the NY marathon and hardware was a shame. Old, in dire need of renovation and the room felt empty. Service was however excellent, as expected with Four Seasons, but spending rack rate for this kind of hardware when you've got so many good options nearby ... Any idea if they intend to do a refurb ?
Old May 6, 2013, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincentb89

Though I would clearly stay away from the FS unless CP view / suite. Booked an entry level room there two years ago for the NY marathon and hardware was a shame. Old, in dire need of renovation and the room felt empty. Service was however excellent, as expected with Four Seasons, but spending rack rate for this kind of hardware when you've got so many good options nearby ... Any idea if they intend to do a refurb ?
I never stayed at FS New York, but from pictures I don´t find the rooms/ suites really ultra-luxury. If I planed our next trip to NY and discussed the options with my wife she said it looked like an Intercontinental Perhaps a little hard (especially by New York Intercontinental standrds), but I don´t think I will try the FS very soon.

P.S. I took the FS for my poast, because it was so deep ranked in this now removed list...
Old May 6, 2013, 8:19 am

I never stayed at FS New York, but from pictures I don´t find the rooms/ suites really ultra-luxury. If I planed our next trip to NY and discussed the options with my wife she said it looked like an Intercontinental Perhaps a little hard (especially by New York Intercontinental standrds), but I don´t think I will try the FS very soon.

P.S. I took the FS for my poast, because it was so deep ranked in this now removed list...
IMO FS New York is only a good choice at the level of Executive Suite or above.
The tower rooms with city or park view are okay for single occupancy or if one does not mind having less space.

I am very interested in the one bedroom studio suite category (only two in the hotel IIRC). The views from the highest floors must be amazing.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; May 6, 2013 at 7:53 pm
Old May 7, 2013, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
IMO FS New York is only a good choice at the level of Executive Suite or above.
The tower rooms with city or park view are okay for single occupancy or if one does not mind having less space.

I am very interested in the one bedroom studio suite category (only two in the hotel IIRC). The views from the highest floors must be amazing.
I have stayed in the standard rooms and they are OK and definitely the FS NY has some of the best service in New York.

If you want space and the best park views- and can bear with- the Trump wins on both categories by a long shot: Large 1 bedroom or 2 bedrooms suites with stunning views of CP.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have stayed in the standard rooms and they are OK and definitely the FS NY has some of the best service in New York.

If you want space and the best park views- and can bear with- the Trump wins on both categories by a long shot: Large 1 bedroom or 2 bedrooms suites with stunning views of CP.
But is service worth to pay the double price compared to other hotels with better rooms and a "normal" (in relation to it´s category) service?

P.S. OK is not enough in my eyes
Old May 7, 2013, 11:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my one stay at the FS NY, I didn't experience that "best service in NY," unless every other NY hotel makes takes more than 20 minutes at the front desk just to check in. I also enjoyed the doormen watching me lug my suitcase up the steps from the entrance to lobby level and then being absent every other time I entered or exited for the rest of my stay. Requests from my room also took forever.

But then, I was a nobody staying in an entry level room, so they probably marked me with UV-visible ink so they could be sure to treat me poorly.

I've had much better luck at the Trump (despite the name) although even then the service is not close to Asian hotel standards.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:17 pm

I think the Mark and the MO are the best properties in NYC.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:22 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Hotelsforlife
I think the Mark and the MO are the best properties in NYC.
Think so too . But have not stayed at The Mark after refurbishment . Hope I will like it just as much , service as well
Old May 7, 2013, 9:55 pm

If I had to rank NYC properties...

1. FS NY (Tower Park View Room or Suite)
2. RC CP Club Level with CP View
3. St Regis NYC
4. MO NY (However, with the hard beds and the so so service I only go here at last resort)
Old May 13, 2013, 11:32 am

The Surrey or The Plaza?

Hi all,

I understand that neither of these seem to be at the top of the recommended list, however places such as St Regis / RC
/ Peninsula / The Mark are out of our budget and so not feasible.

I managed to get a good rate at The Surrey (Grand Deluxe Salon) which I've confirmed for 5 nights, the price has now gone up by close to 25%. It's fully refundable.

I was just looking up hotels for some friends and found a deeply discounted rate for The Plaza (entry level Plaza King room) which is comparable in price to
The Surrey for the 5 night stay. Other booking sites including
directly with the hotel is considerably more expensive.

Would appreciate any thoughts as to comparisons
Between The Surrey and Plaza? Would you guys cancel and
book with The Plaza, or should I stick to what I've got?

Because its such a relatively good rate for the plaza it's tempting to go there (previously out of price range), but I've read some negative things on here re: the Plaza.

Thanks for any advice!
Old May 13, 2013, 12:56 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The location of the Plaza is mad house..... Stick with Surrey and enjoy the roof top deck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.