Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels In New York

Luxury Hotels In New York

Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
They got expensive! It wasn´t such a big deal in March. I had the most expensive 1 Bedroom Suite (this time, now they have new categories) and paid less with 1 night on purchase rate and 3 nights on stay 3 pay 2. 1900 per night was an absolute moon-price.
I do think that rate is BAR. Not sure
Anyway, this is a very nice place though most people seem unsure about the future .
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what day in january does management change?
Originally Posted by surftb15
The 14 of January

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 23, 2012 at 7:09 am
Old Nov 22, 2012, 1:36 pm

Would appreciate advice on a trip for 5 nts in April

Going with a friend who hasn't been to NY. Only requirements are two beds in the room and mid-town or above. Between The London 2br for $800 and MO standard room for $550, which would you suggest? My friend isn't into shopping--other than a quick jaunt--I think she wants to spend most of the time doing things.

Other hotel suggestions in the price range $500-1000 would be appreciated.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
what day in january does management change?
The 14 of January.
All the hotel staff seem to be a bit indecisive over the future direction of the hotel.

What are the main differneces between Capella and Langham chain?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
Would anyone have any quick recommendations for a great NYC spot for travelling with a 6 year old? I'm just looking for a room, not a suite and currently the peninsula or the MO has my attention. Am I looking in the wrong spots? Planning on showing the boy all the touristy spots.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I think the East Side (Peninsula) will have more to see within walking distance than the West Side (MO).

Originally Posted by Phrantic
Would anyone have any quick recommendations for a great NYC spot for travelling with a 6 year old? I'm just looking for a room, not a suite and currently the peninsula or the MO has my attention. Am I looking in the wrong spots? Planning on showing the boy all the touristy spots.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:20 am

I would choose the Peninsula, and would try to neggotiate a good deal on a Jr. Suite or higher category via confirmed upgrade or upsell at check-in.

MO is not the best choice if staying in a room, and frankly I prefer others like FS, Pen, Lowell, etc. at room or suite level.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
We love the Peninsula and they have a particular level of Junior Suite that has a separate living room for your kid that is actually cheaper than the suite that is all one room. I think it is called a Junior Executive Suite. We always get this room. In fact, on our last trip we declined an upgrade to the "better" suite.

Obviously, the location at 55th and 5th is great. They have a great rooftop pool so don't let your 6 year old forget his swimsuit.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:06 am

While it's no Peninsula or MO, I'd recommend the Affinia Dumont on 34th - the rooms are spacious and has a kitchen. The hotel is conveniently located (right next to the Empire State Building) and you'll get to see all the touristy spots as well experience some international flavor of NYC nearby.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:46 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by DavidO
I think the East Side (Peninsula) will have more to see within walking distance than the West Side (MO).
Not sure how many people would say Peninsula is on the East Side..... but it is the better choice here unless the kid really loves tall buildings. Both properties have limited rooms with two beds so the Peninsula jr. suite is a nice idea
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I don't know how those other hotels are with kids, but the Plaza is great with kids and close to the Park too.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
Thanks everyone, all very helpful!
Old May 2, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini Club, STARS, Hyatt Privé, Peninsula PenClub, etc.
My suggestion may be too late, but I can also recommend The Setai Fifth Avenue, especially if your son is excited by the Empire State Building. We stayed with my 5 year old in one of the rooms with a view of the Empire State Building, which he loved. Rooms are modern and some of the largest in the city, and the house car is a Maserati--if available, it will take you anywhere in Manhattan.
Old May 4, 2013, 6:06 am

I believe the majority of the above list would not be considered luxury hotels in New York. I would consider the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and the Mark to be luxury.. everything else on this list is not luxury.

Note from RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels: I removed the post above this with the list as spam; the poster had already been suspended by a mod in another forum.

Last edited by RichardInSF; May 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm Reason: add explanation
Old May 4, 2013, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tmr10001
I believe the majority of the above list would not be considered luxury hotels in New York. I would consider the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and the Mark to be luxury.. everything else on this list is not luxury.
I might consider the Palace and the Algonquin, even though it's quirky, to be luxury, but I wonder where this list is coming from. Has the OP stayed in all of these properties and many more in NYC recently? If it's from some publication, the source should be acknowledged and the criteria/methodology specified for the ranking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.