Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels In New York

Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by grumbler
I've said this elsewhere, but I am pretty much a convert to the Mark, as long as the location makes sense for the purpose of the visit.

It is superb and beats any other NY hotel I have stayed in to date - which includes the usual suspects on this board.
While I have not stayed, I have heard the same thing from friends who typically stay at the St. Regis/FS/top Waldorf suites when visiting. All of them have raved, particularly about the restaurant.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is superb and beats any other NY hotel I have stayed in to date - which includes the usual suspects on this board.
luxury was recently positive on both mark and lowell
in that thread >

Lowell has some lovely old school touches - lemonade in lobby on hot days, followup correspondence from the manager, very gentle service in the dining room (not the Post House, where I have not eaten).

The Mark is flashier, and because the hotel's public spaces are more in your face than the Lowell, it can be a bit buzzy (which is not necessarily a bad thing). However, the staff are good at picking out the guests, and it is pretty common for the manager to make a beeline over to see how you are doing. Also, lots of nice little unexpected amenities.

On balance (and on service), I take the Mark over the Lowell. I have not stayed at the Greenwich.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Btw, at The Mark, some bathrooms have heated floors. The one that I am at, at the moment doesn't, or maybe I haven't found the switches.

Have never been to the Greenwich, but have been to the restaurant next to it, great place to eat, passed by the hotel's lobby, I didn't think that it would be I the "luxury" style. But haven't been anywhere but the lobby.

A rather nice hotel is the Crosby Hotel.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2

NYT reports that St Regis will again lose its restaurant. Adour will close in November.

FS and RC CPS also have lost their restaurants recently.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:36 am

Luxury Hotels in New York

The Plaza is in my opinion a great hotel in NYC. Plus, they often offer a 3rd night free (currently being offered thru Nov 16) which makes it a great value.

I find a free night special is a terrific value at any hotel b/c on a typical 3 night stay it's equivalent to 33% Off.

Many hotels (including most Four Seasons properties) have routinely offered free nights well before GroupOn (and others of its ilk) became popular.

Plus, when you can get additional perks like free breakfast for two COMBINED with the free night, the value-add is impressive.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
NYT reports that St Regis will again lose its restaurant. Adour will close in November.

FS and RC CPS also have lost their restaurants recently.
The RC CPS is opening a new bistro and bar concept soon.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Planning a family visit sometime in January / February 2013 and need help. Last time I was in NYC was 8 years ago and I suspect a lot has changed with the hotel scene.

We're seeking a place located anywhere from about 42nd street north (ie. not downtown). Should have inspired rooms (ie. not your standard Marriott), should be family friendly (as we will have 2 year old with us), and should epitomize the very best that New York has to offer.

Because we are visiting during a cold/snowy period, special touches like fireplaces in the rooms, heated bathroom floors, hot chocolate in the lobby, etc... would be appreciated but not required.

I have Ritz Carlton (Marriott) Platinum, SPG Gold, and my wife qualifies for ABA discount rates.

I know some of the favorites discussed here and on other luxury travel sites (ie. Andrew Harper, Kiwi Collection) seem to include Lowell, Mark, Four Seasons, St. Regis, RC Central Park, etc... but none of those options seem to offer "special" looking rooms until you get well into the $2000+ per night suite categories. Please convince me otherwise if you disagree.

Which of these properties offers the best luxury value proposition for under $800 per night?

Is Chatwal any good since SPG took over?

Sorry for the long-winded question(s)!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

greenwich is brand new
mark was just redone, and has gaggenau kitchens for not much over base rate
trump was just redone, but as recently noted no separate showers

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
at The Mark, some bathrooms have heated floors
maybe mark studios / tower suites? (planned as condohotel, with aforementioned kitchen)
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there is 1 of each of the 3 mark studio categories and 5 mark tower suite categories on floors 9-12 (8 x 4 = 32)
http://www.themarkhotel.com/own/nav/...floorplans.php
http://web.archive.org/web/201106052...floorplans.php

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 23, 2012 at 1:07 pm
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by trojanman
Planning a family visit sometime in January / February 2013 and need help. Last time I was in NYC was 8 years ago and I suspect a lot has changed with the hotel scene.

We're seeking a place located anywhere from about 42nd street north (ie. not downtown). Should have inspired rooms (ie. not your standard Marriott), should be family friendly (as we will have 2 year old with us), and should epitomize the very best that New York has to offer.

Because we are visiting during a cold/snowy period, special touches like fireplaces in the rooms, heated bathroom floors, hot chocolate in the lobby, etc... would be appreciated but not required.

I have Ritz Carlton (Marriott) Platinum, SPG Gold, and my wife qualifies for ABA discount rates.

I know some of the favorites discussed here and on other luxury travel sites (ie. Andrew Harper, Kiwi Collection) seem to include Lowell, Mark, Four Seasons, St. Regis, RC Central Park, etc... but none of those options seem to offer "special" looking rooms until you get well into the $2000+ per night suite categories. Please convince me otherwise if you disagree.

Which of these properties offers the best luxury value proposition for under $800 per night?

Lowell has rooms with fireplace (lowell king, only 1 with fireplace in the specific room category so you would have to specify that to reservations).
Hardware is really good, service is attentive but you don't have a lot of things to do in-house (small lobby) and the crowd is traditional borderline "too old" for me
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by trojanman

St. Regis rooms are very old-world but I love them. Perfect soundproofing, nice layouts akin to a junior suite in most hotels, and the best shower pressure of any NYC hotel (Grand Luxe rooms have separate shower/tub and dual vanities). The KC Bar is at its best in the winter and at the time you're visiting will be filled with a good number of locals.

While most of these hotels will have promotional offers in the dead of winter, I've found the St Regis rates to be overall a bit lower than the Ritz/FS/MO.

The house car is another nice touch, though I can't comment on whether the FS or Ritz still offer one.

Also, you may want to look into the Plaza Athenee.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:47 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by vincentb89
Lowell has rooms with fireplace (lowell king, only 1 with fireplace in the specific room category so you would have to specify that to reservations).
Hardware is really good, service is attentive but you don't have a lot of things to do in-house (small lobby) and the crowd is traditional borderline "too old" for me
The Lowell King would just side in under 800$ budget... and with a 2 year old that is a small room IMHO. Jr. Suite would be best at Lowell, also with Fireplace. I think you should add The Surrey to your list as they have a good family promotion via Virtuoso for Ultra Deluxe with a connector. Will give you more like 1000SQ feet of space for perhaps a touch over your budget. Under budget you can do a Grand Deluxe Salon with fireplace.

The Carlyle is also a possible choice. Their suites have good rates for January right now. Confirmed Upgrades are already possible for Q1

I'm sure some of the hotels already mentioned with also launch Q1 promos sometime in November (3rd night free, confirmed upgrades etc).
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, BA Gold, BD Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Intercon Gold Ambassador
I usually stay at FS. Gave the Peninsula a try two weeks ago but FS still better.
I hear the SETAI is quite nice. Seems similar to MO product.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Thanks for the bit of feedback received so far. Curious about a few properties:

1. Four Seasons. It's supposed to be the epitome of the Four Seasons brand in North America (at least with respect to city hotels), but the website makes it seem like the rooms are very bland and boring, while the price point is approaching George V levels. If I am used to the George V / Hualalai / Tented Camp level of service, will I be disappointed at FS NYC?

2. Mandarin Oriental. I've had pleasant stays at MO's in other cities, but I rarely hear anything about the NY property.

3. Peninsula. Really loved my experience at Pen BKK and Tokyo, but I didn't think Chicago was that great. I've heard NY isn't their best property...should it be avoided?

4. Lowell. Andrew Harper seems so overly enthusiastic about this property that it's borderline silly. What's so special about it?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lowell and trump have been most consistent here
new consistent so far are greenwich and mark
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ssamuels
I usually stay at FS. Gave the Peninsula a try two weeks ago but FS still better.
I hear the SETAI is quite nice. Seems similar to MO product.
The Setai is indeed nice, especially the suites (like in every hotel). But its not something special, its just a good modern hotel with good service. MO should be their flaggship in North America, I booked it for next year. I dont know FS but after a look on the room at tripadviser/ oyster I wasnt really impressed. It looks like a good Intercontinental for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.