Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels In New York

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Is the NYC Plaza really worth it?
No, no, no! So many better options, even in NYC. They invited me after the renovation and I fled the scene after a night.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scented
No, no, no! So many better options, even in NYC. They invited me after the renovation and I fled the scene after a night.
While I'd agree that there may be 'better' options in the city, I think the Plaza did a fabulous job with the refurb. Was just in the Jr Suite and it was so well apportioned, great interior and aesthetic.

I actually don't prefer Midtown, which is the main reason I'd shun the Plaza

I also think the Plaza is just one of those hotels you 'have' to see once in your life time, especially as a hotel junkie!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I checked out of the Plaza after one night (of a 4 night reso), not because the hotel wasn't special, but because the area is pretty boring, especially at night. I am in my mid-30's, and wanted to stay there once to live out my 'Home Alone 2' fantasy. There are so many better "real new york" neighborhoods. I ended up going to the Ludlow hotel in the LES for the remainder of my stay, and had a fantastic time.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by scubadu
I guess you have to define what "worth" means to you. Certainly, The Plaza has a historic past and many (particularly tourists) equate it with the quintessential NYC experience.

As someone who enjoys visiting NYC (sometimes 1 or 2x per year), The Plaza likely would not even make a top 20 list of places that I would choose to stay.

Part of the reason is it's just too stuffy/old world/gold stuff every where for my tastes. Of course, other people eat that stuff up.

You have to define what experience you are looking for and then what you are willing to pay for it.

Regards
I guess I wanted to know do you get value for $1000 a night.

I do like the old world look. I'd rather something different than the modern chrome and gloss of so many hotels.

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I checked out of the Plaza after one night (of a 4 night reso), not because the hotel wasn't special, but because the area is pretty boring, especially at night. I am in my mid-30's, and wanted to stay there once to live out my 'Home Alone 2' fantasy. There are so many better "real new york" neighborhoods. I ended up going to the Ludlow hotel in the LES for the remainder of my stay, and had a fantastic time.
My husband loves going out at night to bars and various eateries. He also loves to people watch. He wouldn't like if it was a boring area.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
I guess I wanted to know do you get value for $1000 a night.

I do like the old world look. I'd rather something different than the modern chrome and gloss of so many hotels.

My husband loves going out at night to bars and various eateries. He also loves to people watch. He wouldn't like if it was a boring area.
Perhaps try my combination : MONY by Columbus Circle & The Mark , UES

Rather decent value , husband may like the surroundings for people watching too
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Perhaps try my combination : MONY by Columbus Circle & The Mark , UES

Rather decent value , husband may like the surroundings for people watching too
Never heard of those. I'll look them up now. Thanks.

Just worked out the MONY is the Mandarin Oriental.

I do like the Mark. Very glam. However the Courtyard Suite I like is a bit pricey at approx $1450 dollars and then I have to convert those to Australian Dollars.

I will keep my eye on it. Thank you.

Last edited by Annalisa12; Sep 18, 2016 at 3:03 am Reason: Added last bit after I had looked up the hotels.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:26 am

Is the NYC Plaza really worth it?
Absolutely avoid the Plaza.

The St. Regis is the place to have an old world New York hotel experience with every modern convenience. Look into booking with a Virtuoso confirmed upgrade, or with Starwood's preferred partner program "Luxury Priveleges."

Also look at their legacy rates promotion, which easentially is half off of rack rate for suites. Look for possible upgrades.

Be sure to enroll in SPG if you are not already to get a bonanza of points or air miles on your preferred airline.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 18, 2016 at 7:30 am
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:23 am

A lot happening Downtown as well, grew fond of many areas there. Barney's just returned and Four Seasons NY Downtown, a Silverstein property, is opening any minute now. I'm inclined to try on my next visit. Thomas C, who did a very good job at FS London, was promoted and is now opening hotel manager there -- I hope it will be special.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Absolutely avoid the Plaza.

The St. Regis is the place to have an old world New York hotel experience with every modern convenience. Look into booking with a Virtuoso confirmed upgrade, or with Starwood's preferred partner program "Luxury Priveleges."

Also look at their legacy rates promotion, which easentially is half off of rack rate for suites. Look for possible upgrades.

Be sure to enroll in SPG if you are not already to get a bonanza of points or air miles on your preferred airline.
I gather it is similar to the Singapore St Regis. Had a fabulous suite there and loved it. Legacy rates? Not heard of that. I would indeed like half off rack rate for speciality suites.

Off to investigate more. Thanks.

Just check the legacy rates. Not exactly half off. Astor suite $1650US a night... or book under the legacy rates and the room rate is US$2499.

Too expensive.

I did love the look of their rooms. The Astor suite pic looked better than some of the higher Suites such as Madison suite. Maybe it is just the pic they chose. I assume so because to me the bigger the price the better the hotel.

Last edited by Annalisa12; Sep 19, 2016 at 2:13 am Reason: Added bit after investigation
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:52 am

Off to investigate more. Thanks.

Just check the legacy rates. Not exactly half off. Astor suite $1650US a night... or book under the legacy rates and the room rate is US$2499.

Too expensive.

I did love the look of their rooms. The Astor suite pic looked better than some of the higher Suites such as Madison suite. Maybe it is just the pic they chose. I assume so because to me the bigger the price the better the hotel.
You can have a confirmed upgrade to an Astor suite for the rate of a Grand Luxe Room if you book through a Virtuoso agent!

BTW, the legacy rate plan is rack rate for every second night, and $4 per night for every other night, so it is essentially half of the rack rate on average throughout the stay.

But, the V confirmed upgrade to Astor Suite is the way to go, should be around $1,000/night give or take
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:26 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We had a great stay at the St. Regis in July. Booked with a virtuoso agent for the confirmed upgrade to an Astor Suite. Then upgraded further on arrival. Phenomenal room! Wonderful butler service. Nice walking distance to park, restaurants and shopping. If you like old world style, I highly recommend it.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
The St. Regis is in many ways an excellent hotel, especially its new gym and renovated rooms, but they really should have a spa. At the moment, they send everyone over to the Peninsula which can't be good for their business.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:58 pm
Suspended

The Nomad Hotel
Refinery Hotel
The Greenwich Hotel
These are the best and my favorite hotel in NYC. I am a big lover of NYC and I visited there many of the times. This city is best for the travelers.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Just stayed at the recently opened William Vale in Brooklyn. Too lazy to write a complete review, but....

Good
Great views
Big outdoor balconies on the rooms
Lighting switches/outlets
Frette linen/ L'Occitaine amenities
Pool
Roof top bar restaurant

Bad
Rooms (even the suites) are small
Service is very spotty (may just be opening pains)
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Centurion
I'm looking for advice / recommendations for a good Christmas hotel in New York. I know it's early to be talking about Christmas but I like to book in advance!

I have stayed in the full gamut of lodgings in New York, from hostels on the edge of Harlem to the Ritz, Peninsula and Surrey (my favourite). Looking for something that should be very seasonal and ideally does a good Christmas lunch / dinner.

I am leaning towards the South Central Park Area but open to others also, like UES or Soho.

I know a lot on here use Virtuoso and others, but I tend to book on Expedia a lot and just pay for the class of room I want. Right now, with my flights included, I can get the MO for about $600 a night.

Anyone have any better suggestions than that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.