FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

MSPeconomist Jan 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Waldorf Towers (NOT the Waldorf Astoria, the Waldorf Towers is a luxury hotel within a hotel with a completely separate entrance and small lobby, different staff, but connected to the WA lobby by an indoor passage), sort of old fashioned and residential, lots of big suites, I think the address is something like 51st and Park, close to the W on Lex

Royalton at 44 West 44th Street, not true luxury but interesting and stylish boutique hotel, modern design in a traditional building, good for people watching

These two would be good locations for what the OP seems to want, although I don't know about the smoking (but both seem to attract an international rather than American clientele).

nba1017 Jan 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 17842151)
Waldorf Towers (NOT the Waldorf Astoria, the Waldorf Towers is a luxury hotel within a hotel with a completely separate entrance and small lobby, different staff, but connected to the WA lobby by an indoor passage), sort of old fashioned and residential, lots of big suites, I think the address is something like 51st and Park, close to the W on Lex

Royalton at 44 West 44th Street, not true luxury but interesting and stylish boutique hotel, modern design in a traditional building, good for people watching

These two would be good locations for what the OP seems to want

I would not recommend either of these hotels given the OP's dates.

The fashion show starts on 13 September, and the Waldorf will be overtaken by UN-related events and guests even before the full session. I'd steer clear of both Bryant Park and the Waldorf area.

Still say Pierre could be a really nice fit.

stimpy Jan 19, 2012 12:03 am

Originally Posted by robyng (Post 17840338)
The St. Regis - or the St. Regis at the Essex House? We were in the St. Regis at the Essex House on 9/11.

I'm talking about THE St. Regis. The original 1904 hotel. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregi...rk_81_overview

If you have never tried this hotel, you should at least do a walk-through. To me this is the finest hotel in New York. The history is a tie-breaker with any other of the top hotels.

flo_147 Oct 7, 2012 1:38 am

Hey guys!

...I need yr advice regarding a 3 night stay in NYC! Will be staying for some nights in NYC in late Nov and need a decent room - and thats why I was thinking of staying at the newly refurbished "The Mark".

Anyone of you ever stayed at the "Premier Mark 2 BR Suite"? Compared to other hotels in the same league, is it a good choice or are there better option out there!?

cheers,
flo

Kagehitokiri Oct 7, 2012 6:23 am

Originally Posted by flo_147 (Post 19451235)
decent room - and thats why I was thinking of staying at the newly refurbished "The Mark" ... Premier Mark 2 BR Suite

new good so far >
mark - UES, newly refurbished
greenwich - new, pool

most consistent >
lowell - UES
trump - newly refurbished, pool, jean georges

all have 2BR with kitchens (mark has gaggenau and greenwich rate is higher)

Yahillwe Oct 7, 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by flo_147 (Post 19451235)
Hey guys!

...I need yr advice regarding a 3 night stay in NYC! Will be staying for some nights in NYC in late Nov and need a decent room - and thats why I was thinking of staying at the newly refurbished "The Mark".

Anyone of you ever stayed at the "Premier Mark 2 BR Suite"? Compared to other hotels in the same league, is it a good choice or are there better option out there!?

cheers,
flo

I highly recommend the Mark. Have stayed there many times, and actually stayed one month last March in their one bedroom suite. This recommendation comes from someone who always stays at the Four Seasons.

Yahillwe Oct 7, 2012 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 19451678)
new good so far >
mark - UES, newly refurbished
greenwich
- new, pool

most consistent >
lowell - UES
trump - newly refurbished, pool, jean georges

all have 2BR with kitchens (mark has gaggenau and greenwich rate is higher)

2 different parts of town, isn't it?

DavidO Oct 7, 2012 8:41 am

Here's the review of The Mark that I posted two years ago:

The Mark

This hotel was previously a Virtuoso property but closed for an extensive three-year renovation during which the 1927 building was essentially gutted in order to create larger guest rooms and install modern heating and plumbing systems. Located on the Upper East Side (E. 77th Street at Madison Avenue), the hotel is located in a residential neighborhood across Madison Avenue from the Carlyle. Away from the bustle of midtown, the Mark is convenient to the Metropolitan Museum (3 blocks), the Whitney Museum (2 blocks), and the 77th Street subway station (2 blocks).

The Mark has a contemporary style created by French designer Jacques Grange. The lobby features black and white striped marble floors with very contemporary furnishings and wall decorations, and the feeling extends into a very trendy bar that pulses with energy. If you're looking for an elegant yet lively nightspot, consider the Mark.

But once you leave the lobby, the guest floors are suitably subdued to create a restful environment for a good night's sleep. Guest rooms combine traditional elements (elegant painted crown moldings and door trim) with contemporary furnishings. Bathrooms provide what every five-star hotel should offer: double vanities, deep soaking tub, walk-in shower, and TV in the mirror. (OK, I really don't understand the TV-in-the-mirror thing, but the best new hotels all provide them!)

Lead-in Courtyard rooms are more than 400 square feet. The first level of upgrade is to a Madison room - which overlooks Madison Avenue - but the courtyard is actually very attractive, overlooking the backyards of several townhouses on 78th Street (and, in particular, a beautiful maple tree whose autumn colors were quite striking). The Seventy-Seven Kings are spacious, 500 square foot guest rooms overlooking 77th Street. Junior Suites feature sliding doors that separate the living room (with pull-out queen sofa) from the Queen-bedded master bedroom and have two full bathrooms. There are several varieties of 1 BR and 2 BR Suites, some with full kitchens. The fitness facility is large and very well equipped.

flo_147 Oct 7, 2012 12:28 pm

thx guys for yr input! Will decide in the next few days if I will book the Mark Premier 2 BR Suite or a top suite at the Trump or Mandarin Oriental ;)
Will decide that on the rooms views and the size and equipment of the gym!

offerendum Oct 7, 2012 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by flo_147 (Post 19453099)
thx guys for yr input! Will decide in the next few days if I will book the Mark Premier 2 BR Suite or a top suite at the Trump or Mandarin Oriental ;)

roblem with Trump: They have tub/shower combos even in the suites.

Larkin Oct 7, 2012 10:31 pm

I like FS and the St Regis best. For spa and pool the peninsula is great. Like the previous post said the problem with the Trump on central park west is the bathroom. And I prefer to be on east side, but that is my preference. MO very nice if get great view and suite, but still prfer east side location, but that is personal preference. I also like the Ritz Central Park, but my third choice!

Yahillwe Oct 9, 2012 6:47 am

The Mark doesn't rooms that have any views. The FS has suites that have great views.

Never been at either Trump or The MA.

You made me jealous, so am going to go to the Mark for a few days before I leave NY.

Kagehitokiri Oct 9, 2012 9:29 am

top suite at the Trump or Mandarin Oriental ;)

why those 2?

trump soho is trump with top suites

at FS, 50th floor is 2 studio suites (look great) and 6 tower rooms

Shangri-La Oct 9, 2012 11:40 am

Anyone tried the Chambers Hotel? A boutique property, but it looks interesting enough.

grumbler Oct 10, 2012 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 19451856)
I highly recommend the Mark. Have stayed there many times, and actually stayed one month last March in their one bedroom suite. This recommendation comes from someone who always stays at the Four Seasons.

I've said this elsewhere, but I am pretty much a convert to the Mark, as long as the location makes sense for the purpose of the visit.

It is superb and beats any other NY hotel I have stayed in to date - which includes the usual suspects on this board.