Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels In New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels In New York

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:32 pm

You are best looking at this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-new-york.html
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Hi,

I will be in New York for 2 nights next week and wondering where to book. I have Amex Platinum so have Diamond Status in Hilton and Gold in SPG. I was thinking about Conrad or Waldorf Astoria with Hilton but then I also thought about The Peninulsa..... any recommendations?
Does the regular AmEx Plat charge card mean Hilton Diamond status?

Depending on what you want/need, there are some interesting boutique hotels in NYC as well as some good four star properties especially if you're elite in their programs, such as the Andaz Fifth Avenue for Hyatt Diamonds using DSUs or the W Union Square for SPG Plats.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the regular AmEx Plat charge card mean Hilton Diamond status?

Depending on what you want/need, there are some interesting boutique hotels in NYC as well as some good four star properties especially if you're elite in their programs, such as the Andaz Fifth Avenue for Hyatt Diamonds using DSUs or the W Union Square for SPG Plats.
Nope, Amex Plat gets gold -- Cent gets diamond.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 14, 2016 at 7:47 am
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, BA Amex, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, BA Exec
At the moment Hilton will match Accor Platinum to Hilton Diamond, going forward in the UK Hilton will be Gold on Plantinum
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the regular AmEx Plat charge card mean Hilton Diamond status?.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Nope, Amex Plat gets gold -- Cent gets diamond.
In France YES
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:42 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Hey guys. We need your help. We're headed back to New York this summer for one night to see some friends. Our 4 year old will be joining us so we want a hotel that loves kids. We won't bore you with the details, but we've narrowed it to these two options.

THE PENINSULA
- stayed here last year in an executive suite and they were fantastic with our son
- looking at Junior Executive Suite for $895

ST. REGIS
- newly remodeled
- never been before, trying something new
- great reputation with kids
- looking at confirmed upgrade to Astor Suite for $920

We just can't decide. Should we try the St. Regis?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Ericka
Hey guys. We need your help. We're headed back to New York this summer for one night to see some friends. Our 4 year old will be joining us so we want a hotel that loves kids. We won't bore you with the details, but we've narrowed it to these two options.

THE PENINSULA
- stayed here last year in an executive suite and they were fantastic with our son
- looking at Junior Executive Suite for $895

ST. REGIS
- newly remodeled
- never been before, trying something new
- great reputation with kids
- looking at confirmed upgrade to Astor Suite for $920

Being Starwood Platinum made it an easy decision for me last summer with my kid. The StR butlers brought hot chocolate and cookies with our tea in the morning and every part of it was great for kids. But I'm sure the same would be true at the Pen. Both hotels are a short walk to the park so location doesn't matter. I think the Astor suite would be more special than a junior at the Pen.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:09 am

I prefer the Peninsula, but for just a one night stay, why not try the St. Regis this time?

I am more likely to return to hotels I know I like for longer stays, but often use one or two night stays as an opportunity to try out other hotels. It's a low risk way of testing to see whether or not I want to return for a longer stay in the future.

Also, FWIW Junior Executive at the Peninsula has an "interior view." It's probably well suited to a short stay en famille, but is otherwise not as nice as an Executive or Deluxe Suite at the Pen.

Another potential play could be to see if the Pen can match St.R's offer of a confirmed upgrade.

Also Pen Club "Peninsula Time" flexible check in and check out times could be an advantage to Peninsula if that will help maximise a one night stay.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Feb 26, 2016 at 3:47 am
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:30 am
Suspended

I've made it no secret that the St. Regis is one of my favorite properties in the world. Is it a perfect 10? Absolutely not. But, for those who respect hard product above all else, it's hard to beat.

I do love the Peninsula.

Overall....never understood the obsessed with midtown properties. Go UES (Surrey, Mark, etc).
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Originally Posted by Chewbacca
At the moment Hilton will match Accor Platinum to Hilton Diamond, going forward in the UK Hilton will be Gold on Plantinum
Is it just a matter of sending HHonors an email with my Accor Plat card to get the match?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:48 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We've decided on the St. Regis in the spirit of trying something new. They have early/late check in/out as a Virtuoso amenity. We'll see if they come through with it.

Regarding the UES, yes we do like that area and had a great stay at the Surrey. But we are trying to be a few blocks from our friends who are staying at the Park Hyatt.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:28 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Has anyone stayed at The Mark or MO lately ?
Haven't been back to both since the renovations .

How about the Surrey & Carlyle these days ?

May split my stay at 2 , possibly 3 .

( My NYC friends are rather " polarized - you are staying where ?! ", either UES or W .. & " You are not staying with us ? " )

Thanks much .
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We've decided on the St. Regis in the spirit of trying something new. They have early/late check in/out as a Virtuoso amenity. We'll see if they come through with it.
Regarding early check in, note that Starwood Platinum members are often in the suites via upgrades and they all get 4pm guaranteed check out. That means that many times you cannot actually get an early check in to your suite unless you are lucky. If you do plan on arriving early, you can let them know that you would accept a standard room to use while you are waiting for your suite.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
NYC Long Weekend Suggestions?

Looking for some advice ahead of a getaway long weekend in NYC. I'm Starwood Gold, but want to burn 225k Chase points to cover the 4-night stay on Manhattan--even if this is not the ideal redemption, I have no other use for those points.

We prefer modern to classic and quiet to city buzz. Liked theWit Hotel in Chicago, if that helps. OTOH, St Regis would not be our thing.

TIA!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Did SEA ( SeaTac ) to JFK a couple weeks ago .
Try stay at The Mark :-:
Loved it , the room / suites renovations are refreshing .. Plus ..
Didn't have time to check out the penthouse suite . You should if unoccupied , since staying may not be practical

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.