Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels In New York

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Really, really love the Plaza, and I didn't think I would at all.

What are your thoughts on this hotel? It rarely comes up on this forum...
I had a disastrous stay there a while back. The low regard here for the Plaza is justified. Perhaps they have fixed it up. Here is my post from that stay:
Plaza NYC
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:10 pm

Here is our Feb 2014 3 night experience at The Plaza.

On subsequent visits to NYC (did not stay at the Plaza), we have eaten at the food court in the basement and found it excellent.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22411346-post153.html

For our next stay (July 2016), no kids, we are booked at the Surrey but strongly considering The Mark...

Last edited by LarkSFO; Oct 20, 2015 at 3:07 pm
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:57 pm
Suspended

I really liked the Rihga Royal hotel, but it closed and has been re-opened as the London Hotel. It was Japanese-owned, and it closed as a result of Japan's financial crisis in the mid-late 1990s. The couple of times I stayed there, it was really good value for and upscale place mid-town Manhattan, with quite spacious suites for all rooms.

I can't speak to how well it's run now as the London, but it was a very nice physical plant in an excellent location, with rooms that were massive and underpriced by mid-town Manhattan standards, and their room rates are still far below typical luxury properties in the area.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:48 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
I really liked the Rihga Royal hotel, but it closed and has been re-opened as the London Hotel. It was Japanese-owned, and it closed as a result of Japan's financial crisis in the mid-late 1990s. The couple of times I stayed there, it was really good value for and upscale place mid-town Manhattan, with quite spacious suites for all rooms.

I can't speak to how well it's run now as the London, but it was a very nice physical plant in an excellent location, with rooms that were massive and underpriced by mid-town Manhattan standards, and their room rates are still far below typical luxury properties in the area.
It was something else before it was the Rhiga Royal. The basic configuration of the place hasn't changed for 20-30 years. The London is an upscale, not luxury, hotel. For example, the last time I stayed there, they wouldn't even deliver newspapers to the rooms, just left a stack of USA Today (the only choice) at the elevator landing. Other service was similar.

There is a Gordon Ramsey restaurant in the hotel too, I had tea there as it was included under FHR. Overpriced for the quality.

But the hotel is overall usually a good value price-wise for upscale in NYC.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 13, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It was something else before it was the Rhiga Royal.
It was the JW Marriott Rhiga Royal back when I stayed there around 2002 or so. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l-closing.html

Frankly I don't recall it being really in the Luxury class.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It was something else before it was the Rhiga Royal. The basic configuration of the place hasn't changed for 20-30 years. The London is an upscale, not luxury, hotel. For example, the last time I stayed there, they wouldn't even deliver newspapers to the rooms, just left a stack of USA Today (the only choice) at the elevator landing. Other service was similar.

There is a Gordon Ramsey restaurant in the hotel too, I had tea there as it was included under FHR. Overpriced for he quality.

But the hotel is overall usually a good value pride-wise for upscale in NYC.
Still have the "small" gordon ramsay. The main / nice lost his 2 michelin stars then closed shortly after. One of the best restaurant that I knew
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:26 pm
Suspended

I am a big fan of the Mandarin. But I do not know if I should wait until Four Seasons Downtown should open. I loved the location of the Mandarin. I really loved per se and jean georges. But the rooms are really small. I was hoping to be able to get a bigger room. Without going to huge prices for massive rooms.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:44 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by NinaThompson
I am a big fan of the Mandarin. But I do not know if I should wait until Four Seasons Downtown should open. I loved the location of the Mandarin. I really loved per se and jean georges. But the rooms are really small. I was hoping to be able to get a bigger room. Without going to huge prices for massive rooms.
You could be waiting quite a while for the FS Downtown. Check out a hotel like the Langham 5th Avenue for some larger rooms.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Why don´t you book a suite? I woudn´t compare the 2 locations.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Yes. Even the entry level Hudson River view suites are nice.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Stayed only in a Park view Suite so far but layout of Hudson River Suites is the same as Premium View Suite.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed only in a Park view Suite so far but layout of Hudson River Suites is the same as Premium View Suite.
from looking at MO photos >
hudson suite has more windows, at least in living room
(like taipan, corner windows seem better than top suites)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 29, 2015 at 5:35 pm
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The reply is in the question
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by CGRA
OK😞
Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CGRA
Mandarin Oriental it is !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.