Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels In New York

Luxury Hotels In New York

Old Dec 3, 14, 8:58 am

Most traditionally luxurious hotel in NY

Hi all, Im trying to decide which hotel to go for.

I want something that is extremely luxurious and with an excellent shower!..and a spa preferably.

The names i had in mid are as follows, I would really appreciate some feedback on these if possible! ^

St Regis,
Pierre,
Ritz Carlton CP
Peninsula
Old Dec 3, 14, 12:07 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
imo scratch the Pierre and Peninsula. Add Mandarin Oriental to the list and perhaps the new Park Hyatt though I haven't stayed there yet.
Old Dec 3, 14, 12:11 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
You won`t get too much positive feedback on this 4. Why not the Mandarin? I was very happy with my last stay.
Old Dec 3, 14, 12:36 pm

St Regis,
Pierre,
Ritz Carlton CP
Peninsula

I was lost for words when I saw this list (well nearly) because there are so many better hotels in NYC these days. The Grande Dames no longer capture the sense of luxury. For this, you need to stay at Mandarin Oriental or one of the boutiques, like The Greenwich and Crosby Street.

Luxury is no longer identified by gilded curlicues and white-gloved elevator attendants - it is more about comfort, service quality and style.

St Regis is one of the better Starwoods, but I would hardly call it deluxe. The Pierre, despite beautiful renovated rooms and suites, is flawed, with no serious restaurant. The Ritz-Carlton used to be an option, but not since Marriott dumbed it down, and The Peninsula never quite makes it for some reason, perhaps because of its awful, dark entrance and lobby.

Spas? Mandarin Oriental and The Greenwich work for me - the others don't.

It's interesting, though, because if you asked for a list of classic deluxe hotels in Paris, you would be hard put to choose - but NYC? No, much better to go for something firmly rooted in the 21st century.
Old Dec 3, 14, 1:39 pm

Spot on

I must say I agree - after numerous great stays at The Peninsula in 2005 to 2099 and then great stays at The St Regis from 2009 until early last year - average 4 per year - we have been converted and will never again stay in these hotels,

The feel is all wrong and as the previous poster has said they have been eclipsed by a new sense of style and service in hotels...we are now regulars at the NoMad - we love the rooms and tubs and showers, the food and bar scene is beyo0nd compare, but the level of service is just so different, they actually care what we want - they have our favorite things in the room, they say hello and goodbye, they are all so YOUNG!!!! and bright and happy versus what I feel are dressed up union employees at the St Regis Pen & Plaza

There is a new luxury in NY and it is about you, not about them - give it a try
Old Dec 3, 14, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Maybe I'm biased, but I'm shocked about the above comments Re: the St. Regis.

Full disclosure: I spent my wedding night here, and come back year after year for Christmas Eve and Christmas night (for two night stays).

The room service, the bar, and the service in general is a complete 10 for me.

The rooms - even entry level - are definitely what I'd call luxury.

The place is steeped in history and, for most people, has a great location (walkable to touristy 5th, walkable to Central Park, walkable to UES).

Yes, there are new games in town, but there's nothing like walking back into the St. Regis - to me.

Also, while I agree the Mandarin should be on the list - and the Ritz/Pen should probably come off - I get nothing but positive feedback from the Pierre. Sure, no on-site restaurant, but I think that hardly matters for a lot of NYC visitors (most of whom abhor the thought of eating in the hotel - unless, of course, you're looking at a Surrey situation with a Michelin star restaurant downstairs).

I mean in general I'd rather stay UES and "live like a local"...after all, I go to visit my sister in law, not to see a show. BUT, I still make a point of visiting the St. Regis every year.

EDIT:

1) Interested in checking out Baccarat when it's done. Pretty exciting IMO.

2) For some reason I'm not dying to try the Park Hyatt. Lots of mixed reviews coming out of the Hyatt forum - and the last dates I checked were over $1k/night. As pointed out above, I'd rather be at an old favorite than a "Park King" at that rate...

3) COMPLETELY agree that the Mandarin should be 1 or 2 on the OPs list....
Old Dec 6, 14, 5:33 pm

After reading RichardinSF's final post about 'expanding the remit' of this forum, I am venturing to post this here.

We are looking for 'The Best' guided tour of NYC available. There will be 5 of us, most whom have never visited NYC.

This will be over Christmas.

To include:

Holiday Windows (Macy's etc.)
Rockefeller
TV / Movie sites (McGee's, etc.) Yes, some of our group are teenagers.
Best lights / decorations
The type of company that can ensure 'special access' to one or two places, either from the above or of their choosing
6 hours or so
Private / SUV type vehicle

Realize we could do most of these things ourselves, but a good tour company and guide will make it much more efficient.

If anybody has any recommendations, please let me know.
Old Dec 6, 14, 5:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Check out Discover New York with Kit Garrett, a Virtuoso "onsite" for New York City.
Old Dec 6, 14, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO View Post
Check out Discover New York with Kit Garrett, a Virtuoso "onsite" for New York City.
Thanks David!

OT: By the way, you recommendation for the Panama City / Canal tour company seems perfect too. We have engaged them for our upcoming trip.
Old Dec 7, 14, 6:34 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Downtown hotels have emerged; which makes sense. That's where the action is these days. Back in 2007/2008, the trend of people doing business in midtown wanting to stay in Chelsea/Soho/Flatiron/etc. b/c of the better scene began and it's interesting how the market has filled that need with mostly off-brand hotels. It's refreshing.

Though midtown hotels are still strong: FS RCCP, MO still stand-out.

And while it is refreshing to see the rise of smaller names and it may not be 'in' to like the FSNY or RCCP for one reason or another (most notably that douchey resistance to most anything in a chain), dont let anyone tell you they're down to below luxury standards here in late 2014. They're both excellent hotels.

Do not hesitate staying at either if their location suits your needs.

Last edited by DrivingRain; Dec 7, 14 at 6:50 am
Old Dec 7, 14, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrivingRain View Post
Downtown hotels have emerged; which makes sense. That's where the action is these days. Back in 2007/2008, the trend of people doing business in midtown wanting to stay in Chelsea/Soho/Flatiron/etc. b/c of the better scene began and it's interesting how the market has filled that need with mostly off-brand hotels. It's refreshing.
Good point. I think the same thing will happen with the UES...we'll see a move from Mid, to downtown, to UES. People will long for some sort of "authentic livable NYC" in the years to come. Just a prediction.
Old Dec 7, 14, 9:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Of the four potential NY properties listed by Abstract1, none are bad hotels per se and each have some redeeming attributes. While they may not be the absolute best, you are unlikely to have a bad stay at any of them. Noting your header of traditional luxury, while none are cutting edge, these will all fit the bill. Of your list, I remain partial to the RC CPS (but haven't been there in over nine months...so not 100% fresh on the property).

If spa time is important, MO-NYC, not included in the list, would be my top choice in NYC. Most (but not all) of the other internationally flagged properties are shoe-horned into pre-existing buildings, which were not designed with modern spa spaces in mind. The MO has what certainly is amongst the top hotel spas in NYC.

Pricesquire...I usually end up staying overnight at the St Regis at least once a year for some sort of function or event. It is a fine hotel. While many aspects of the hotel are very nice, your overall view may be colored a bit by the sentimental factors you cited. I too am keen to see how the Baccarat property turns out.

Last edited by NYBanker; Dec 7, 14 at 9:08 am
Old Dec 7, 14, 12:13 pm

For some reason it's very difficult to find the complete package in NYC.
Stayed at all mentioned , but my choice would be either Crosby Street or
The Plaza Athenee.
Old Dec 7, 14, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
St Regis,
Pierre,
Ritz Carlton CP
Peninsula

I was lost for words when I saw this list (well nearly) because there are so many better hotels in NYC these days. The Grande Dames no longer capture the sense of luxury. For this, you need to stay at Mandarin Oriental or one of the boutiques, like The Greenwich and Crosby Street.

Luxury is no longer identified by gilded curlicues and white-gloved elevator attendants - it is more about comfort, service quality and style.

St Regis is one of the better Starwoods, but I would hardly call it deluxe. The Pierre, despite beautiful renovated rooms and suites, is flawed, with no serious restaurant. The Ritz-Carlton used to be an option, but not since Marriott dumbed it down, and The Peninsula never quite makes it for some reason, perhaps because of its awful, dark entrance and lobby.

Spas? Mandarin Oriental and The Greenwich work for me - the others don't.

It's interesting, though, because if you asked for a list of classic deluxe hotels in Paris, you would be hard put to choose - but NYC? No, much better to go for something firmly rooted in the 21st century.
Greenwich is really good.

It is a shame that Peninsula cannot drive the NY property up to the level of Chicago, which remains a very strong hotel. The NY hotel just creeps me out.
Old Dec 8, 14, 12:13 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I too cannot understand how the Peninsula chain has not brought its NY property put to the levels if its others, even in US. Beverly Hills property is excellent as is Chicago.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: