FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

robyng Feb 22, 14 6:27 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 22394600)
OK, sadly we never made it to a pizza place nor a Jewish Deli. (Plaza concierge recommended Katz and Carnegie deli's by the way.)...

FWIW - there's a new generation of Jewish delis in the US. Here's one in NY:

http://www.mileenddeli.com/

Regarding a review of our three night stay at the Plaza in an Edwardian 5th Avenue Suite, I am still thinking about how to share it. I am not sure if The Plaza is shooting for a target demographic that we do not fit, or if it just does not live up to it's reputation and hype. I want to be fair, so I'll think on this some more....
We stayed at the Plaza once - pre-renovation - and thought the latter. The renovations of the public areas look nice (we took a look see during a trip) - but attract too many gawkers IMO (including us :D). Robyn

LarkSFO Feb 22, 14 10:45 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 22395272)
It sounds like it was a fun trip, I am glad you enjoyed New York. If you like the Plaza's location, there are much better hotels to choose from right nearby. I would second Goodmorning2U's above recommendations of Four Seasons, The Peninsula, and Ritz-Carlton Central Park. I would also suggest the Mandarin Oriental.

I did read through this thread before making a decision, and considered the the properties you mention. For a variety of reasons, selected the Plaza this time.

We don't regret staying here. We were able to say 'meet me at the Plaza' to a number of people, which was fun. One of the children is studying the Great Gatsby in school right now, so making that connection to Fitzgerald was neat.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post: The "Food Court" / Todd English Hall underneath the hotel is fantastic! So many excellent choices, all looked very good. We did not have a chance to eat here, but walking through it was impressive.

All this being said, RCCP will likely host our next visit.

ABG Feb 22, 14 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by robyng (Post 22395668)
FWIW - there's a new generation of Jewish delis in the US. Here's one in NY:

http://www.mileenddeli.com/

Not sure what is new generation about taking 100 years of Montreal food culture and dishing it up for hipsters.

hairpeace Feb 22, 14 5:53 pm

Complaint about the Conrad New York:

Nobody ever checks the [email protected] email address that the hotel gives out.

Special occasion notation went completely unrecognized on a recent visit, and on other visits routine requests went unanswered. :mad:

LarkSFO Feb 24, 14 10:55 pm

The Plaza.

Many of you will say: 'We told you so.' And, of course, you would be right. :)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22411346-post153.html

robyng Feb 25, 14 6:24 am

Originally Posted by ABG (Post 22398056)
Not sure what is new generation about taking 100 years of Montreal food culture and dishing it up for hipsters.

Perhaps the ages of the people who are running the restaurants ;)? Robyn

heronb Feb 28, 14 7:10 am

For an upcoming trip in september I'm finding it difficult to see past Trump SoHo. We stayed the last time we were in the city and I was impressed with the room size and comfort.
I have admired Crosby Street but the lack of a tub in the rooms is a problem, The Greenwich would be nice although the location is not ideal.
I'm beginnning to consider places uptown and possibly the MO as I'm a fan (no pun intended) and also the Mark, Surrey and the list expands!

The considerations are pretty straightforward with room size and comfort being top, location next. Service is always important but I dont like to feel coddled.

beta1607 Feb 28, 14 10:24 am

I was very, very pleased with The Mark. Best hotel shower I have ever experienced and a tub that I could stretch out in, and I'm over six feet tall. I found the location to be excellent for shopping, museums and of course visiting Central Park. Breakfast through both in-room dining and at the restaurant were terrific. Concierges were Clef d'or, front door staff were amazing and bartenders were also very good.

I booked a Seventy-Seven Kings room but was upgraded to a massive suite with a kitchen and powder room.

vuittonsofstyle Feb 28, 14 11:02 am

Originally Posted by heronb (Post 22434794)
For an upcoming trip in september I'm finding it difficult to see past Trump SoHo. We stayed the last time we were in the city and I was impressed with the room size and comfort.
I have admired Crosby Street but the lack of a tub in the rooms is a problem, The Greenwich would be nice although the location is not ideal.
I'm beginnning to consider places uptown and possibly the MO as I'm a fan (no pun intended) and also the Mark, Surrey and the list expands!

The considerations are pretty straightforward with room size and comfort being top, location next. Service is always important but I dont like to feel coddled.

Very few rooms at Crosby Street don't have a tub. You need to ask when you book. MO is excellent these days.

offerendum Mar 1, 14 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 22436143)
MO is excellent these days.

Absolutely

RichardInSF Apr 25, 14 7:42 pm

Staying in a newly redecorated room at the NY Palace, apparently designed to have more of that luxurious "Crowne Plaza" look. Got no complaints at $349++, however, would be very unhappy at a higher price. Internet is an additional $16/day, functionality is variable.

No ice bucket. No coffee maker. They're now "request" items. No bathrobes, no bath mat, those were allegedly just omitted, should be in room, they say. No turndown service. Lengthy line to check in.

No late checkout beyond 1pm either, despite being totally empty on my departure date (as evidenced by a rack rate of $279 online).

This hotel has slipped firmly down into the middle to lower upscale level and is still a good value for midtown at $350 or less. But it no longer really fits in this forum.

chinmoylad Apr 25, 14 9:10 pm

I just don't understand hotels (especially those in cities!) charging for net.

MikeFromTokyo Apr 26, 14 12:32 am

Originally Posted by deathscar (Post 22763034)
I just don't understand hotels (especially those in cities!) charging for net.

They charge because people will pay. They would rather advertise lower rates and then charge separately for things like internet access, or spa/pool/fitness etc.

Very few hotels have free internet for all guests like Peninsula hotels do.

SojournsOf May 26, 14 1:17 am

Trying my luck with this one I think...

Has anyone got any tips for Brooklyn? Wythe Hotel? McCarren Hotel?

Thanks

TRAVELSIG May 28, 14 3:27 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 22763565)
They charge because people will pay. They would rather advertise lower rates and then charge separately for things like internet access, or spa/pool/fitness etc.

Very few hotels have free internet for all guests like Peninsula hotels do.

Shangri-La does chain wide.