Wiki Posts
Search

Virtuoso travel advisor / Amsterdam hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Virtuoso travel advisor / Amsterdam hotels

Hi,

First timer about virtuoso bookings but after reading all posts about the benefits of booking this forum convinced me to try.
So looking for a virtuoso agent still accepting clients who would be willing to do a hotel booking for a stay in Amsterdam in 3 days despite the holiday period ... Any advice ?

Apart from that, I only know the De l'Europe hotel in Amsterdam (i have been there for 2 nights during their soft opening end of july 2011) and I really liked it. Just heard that a new five star hotel has opened : The Conservatorium. Any input about the property even though it opened 4 days ago ? Only 1 category of room seems available on their website during their soft opening (deluxe room) but the concept seems quite nice .

Thanks a lot !
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
When I worked for a Virtuoso wholesaler, I dealt with a lot of Virtuoso agencies and agents, and I kept my favorite as my own travel agent. I'll PM you his email. His specialty is actually south pacific, but he does bookings all over.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:26 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
What do you mean by Soft Opening at Hotel D'Europe? They closed it for renovations at one point?

I wouldn't try a hotel that has been open for 4 days over Festive Period... If things go wrong with outside suppliers to the hotel it will be impossible to find replacement offerings. Stick with The Amstel in my opinion.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Send a PM to DavidO, he should be able to help
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:39 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by deirdre
When I worked for a Virtuoso wholesaler,
Neat.... welcome to this Forum!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
What do you mean by Soft Opening at Hotel D'Europe? They closed it for renovations at one point?

I wouldn't try a hotel that has been open for 4 days over Festive Period... If things go wrong with outside suppliers to the hotel it will be impossible to find replacement offerings. Stick with The Amstel in my opinion.
I don't know if they actually decided to close it during the renovation or if they continued accepting reservations while doing the works but when i checked in end of July 2011 the concierge told me that they had just reopened mi july after extensive rebuild. And given that the check in area, the lobby, the restaurants and the hallways were brand new(i had the chance to visit the whole building, plus the new addition with the dutch masters wing, while staying there ), i can only guess that such a huge reno could not be done without closing it.. but i can only guess

So hotel de l'Europe it will be again, i'll write a brief report after coming back. First time there was excellent minus a few things showing that some employees were still in training .
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I last stayed at Hotel d'Europe, perhaps about two years ago, they were in the process of renovating their hotel rooms, apparently one section of one floor at a time. They were fully open for business and the only impact I noticed was that on some hallways, the traditional doors had been replaced by cheap looking ugly modern doors. I took this as a bad omen of changes to come. At that time, part of the exterior of the building was covered by something that looked almost like netting.

During their last major renovation, IIRC they closed for only a brief period. This would have been in the 1980s.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:50 am
Original Poster

http://www.travelweekly.com/Europe-T...pens/?a=europe

They closed during at least part of the reno
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: FB GP
Hi,

Don't know if you already booked, but I literally just checked out at the Intercontinental Amstel Hotel.
Also booked through Virtuoso, had a wonderful upgrade to a executive suite with river view (coming from a queen bed executive room), booking included a "light lunch" at la rive which, however due to Christmas was switched to the Amstel Braserie and we received the complete Christmas lunch instead of regular "light lunch", had a perfect breakfast this morning in La Rive. Staffing was perfect doing there utmost for a nice stay. Just note that we stayed in room 422 and during the night we heard a lot snapping/banging which kept us up a part of the night, it probably was a snapped flag on top of our room (no blame on the hotel what so ever!).

If possible with regard to location and such I would book Virtuoso Amstel hotel!

I will post a blog about my stay at theimportantsmallthings.blogspot.com, later this week.

Regards,
Norman
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: FB GP
For those who are interested I just put up a blog about my stay at the Amstel Hotel http://theimportantsmallthings.blogs...e-stay-at.html

Regards,
Norman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.