Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you fly to luxury properties?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by offerendum
Yes, normally it`s pricey. But is buying miles really cheaper?
Yes, right now you could get 98,000 AA miles for $2,200 including +taxes and fees. That's enough for business class to Asia and back which would be a roughly $5,000 ticket on Cathay. To fly first would be about 30,000 more miles. The only problem is its basically never hard to find paid F or J availability but it can be hard to find F and J award seats.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by beta1607
Yes, right now you could get 98,000 AA miles for $2,200 including +taxes and fees. That's enough for business class to Asia and back which would be a roughly $5,000 ticket on Cathay. To fly first would be about 30,000 more miles. The only problem is its basically never hard to find paid F or J availability but it can be hard to find F and J award seats.
I reckon F runs you about $2500 to $3000 RT which is pretty reasonable IMHO. I never have a problem getting a seat on the flight or date I want.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5khours, what miles/airlines do you use?
some report success with consolidators.

re EY residence mentioned by quitecontrary, some additional quotes >

http://atwonline.com/components/etih...ce-innovations

“The Residence bedroom is at the front end of the aircraft [on upper deck] where you can’t fit a normal seat. What we have endeavored to achieve on the A380 is the same experience as you would get on a private jet or yacht. It will redefine the luxury travel experience. If you were taking a private jet, it would cost $100,000 to $160,000 and we believe our product is far superior,” Hogan said.
AdamH said, The interesting thing about the EY Residence is that there was essentially very little opportunity cost. I feel like a lot of airlines who got early deliveries of the A380 sort of missed the big picture...On the TG A380, for example, they have the lounge...In addition they have a stupidly oversized restroom on the left...you don’t necessarily even have to shrink the rest of your F you just make one bathroom private and close off that front half of the plane.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 7, 2014 at 6:46 pm
Old May 7, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by beta1607
That`s another Problem! I have the Points, but can`t find flights I need
Old May 7, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.remotelands.com/destinati...ey-Across-Asia
aman china, bhutan, india, sri lanka by private jet
better jet than FS with only 18 pax and sofas etc
longest flights are 1,380 & 1,870 miles (like los angeles - chicago or london - istanbul)

(i think plane could be smaller and much cheaper at those distances - but if shorter distances it would be even cheaper)

---

interesting potential for the expensive packages >
http://www.emirates.com/us/english/f...ive/index.aspx
19 pax in 10 emirates first class suites and a lounge area that seats 9 (sleeps 5) in 6 seats and 2 sofas, plus a shower

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 7, 2014 at 6:01 pm
Old May 7, 2014, 12:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
longest flights are 1380 & 1760 miles (like los angeles - chicago or london - istanbul)
Wow that looks like quite a nice experience.... time to start saving the nickels and dimes...

FDW
Old May 7, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by offerendum
That`s another Problem! I have the Points, but can`t find flights I need
Depends on what kind of points you have. If you have DL points, you will never find the flights you need. For other carriers it helps to book very far in advance or very close in.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: QF CL
longest flights are 1380 & 1760 miles (like los angeles - chicago or london - istanbul)

(i think plane could be smaller and much cheaper at those distances - but if shorter distances it would be even cheaper)
This looks amazing. But I'd want to do my due diligence very carefully on the pilot before taking a private jet into Bhutan. Someone at Amankora told me that private aircraft frequently have to abandon that spectacular approach into Paro and end up at an airport somewhere over the Indian border. I think I'd stick with Druk Air.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:01 pm

longest flights are 1,380 & 1,870 miles (like los angeles - chicago or london - istanbul)

The only problem with this journey is you probably have to stay at one of the standard rooms if there are 18 people in the group as there won't be so many big suites to accommodate the group. If I were paying 50k+ dollars for the trip I would want to stay at one of the bigger suites.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
The only problem with this journey is you probably have to stay at one of the standard rooms if there are 18 people in the group as there won't be so many big suites to accommodate the group. If I were paying 50k+ dollars for the trip I would want to stay at one of the bigger suites.
I am sure arrangements can be made directly with the tour operator where you can pay a surcharge to "upsell" to a higher room category including suites.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:40 pm
Original Member

Although I pay my own freight, I generally fly first or biz. I have a great deal of control over my schedule so flexibity sometimes can yield lower-price first rates. Also booking many months in advance can be a cost- effective boon. And, of course, all that fare watching is infinitely entertaining. Flights usually domestic or to Europe from SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.