How do you fly to luxury properties?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you fly to luxury properties?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ainternational
Probably a better deal to utilize NetJets and the others for longer trips like that. Of course, that takes a significant investment.
For those who want to fly privately 25~50 hours per year, there are the Marquis Jet 25 hour prepaid cards from Netjets, which can make a lot of sense. One pays a flat rate, and there is no long term commitment beyond the life of the card.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VIP/CIP = airport services
nothing to do with private aviation, which almost always have their own (general aviation) terminals

not to mention, you can charter anything that fits runway, they just charge for all positioning

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.tradewindaviation.com/
scheduled turboprop services
(new york - martha's vineyard, nantucket)
(san juan - st barts)

http://v1jets.com/
http://www.luxist.com/2008/08/19/mod...tauk-seaplane/
scheduled seaplane services
(manhattan - hamptons)

http://elitetraveler.com/news_detail...esaver-program
http://www.jetsuiteair.com/suitesaver/
west coast VLJs from $1000/flight for 4 pax ($250pp)

buy seats on private flights http://wannajet.com/
tokyo scheduled helicopter is no longer cheap, now in line with pen HK i think
NY and pen BKK are less, but still high
(not referring to hotels in tokyo/NY)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 9, 2011 at 11:19 am
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
VIP/CIP = airport services
nothing to do with private aviation, which almost always have their own (general aviation) terminals

not to mention, you can charter anything that fits runway, they just charge for all positioning

tokyo scheduled helicopter is no longer cheap, now in line with pen HK i think
NY and pen BKK are less, but still high
(not referring to hotels in tokyo/NY)
I would not fly longhaul economy - I'd almost rather not go (is that an awful thing to say?). Mostly paid C, or if they are available miles seats in C. Sometimes I fly in F with miles, but I would certainly not pay for it on BA. I just don't think it is that much better than C. I would consider paying for F on Singapore Airlines or Emirates on the A380.

I have no problem with economy flights in Europe, but usually fly C unless prices are outrageous.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I would not fly longhaul economy - I'd almost rather not go (is that an awful thing to say?). Mostly paid C, or if they are available miles seats in C. Sometimes I fly in F with miles, but I would certainly not pay for it on BA. I just don't think it is that much better than C. I would consider paying for F on Singapore Airlines or Emirates on the A380.

I have no problem with economy flights in Europe, but usually fly C unless prices are outrageous.

We are of exactly the same mind I would add CX F, Etihad F and Qantas A380 F to products that I would pay for. But with my work travel level at approx 140-150 nights away from home for work, I almost never need to pay for any lesuire F & J travel.

And I absolutely agree that I would rather stay at home if I am not travelling F or J.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:02 am

I would not fly longhaul economy - I'd almost rather not go
Absolutely^. I definitely wouldn't go!
We buy C paid but do book a lot of F flights with our BA miles. Trip I'm looking forward to next year is BA F to SFO - stopover - CX F to HKG - stopover - CX J to DPS. Not sure how we're getting home yet - maybe *A miles for LX F from BKK or HKG if we can find availability - if not TG F from BKK both of which we've flown in the past.
This is FLYERtalk after all so I'd expect most of us initially found our way here to maximise the flying experience! To me flying there in comfort is part of the holiday.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Y+ on long hall (particularly Virgin's Y+ product) is generally fine for our needs. Will pay business if price difference is small. Shorter flights more than happy with Y.

Yes, you get Krug, Caviar, Lobster in F but at a hell of a premium on a top class restaurant on the ground serving that stuff from a proper kitchen. Would rather spend the money on better accommodation.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:03 pm

I think it depends. For long haul on my trip to Japan, I flew F with JAL and think it was worth every penny, but than again I wasn't paying. When I stayed in Bali, I had a large suite and than a villa for a few days. In context to this, if I didn't have the option of an accommodation that was worth being in, than I would prefer the flight seeing as a smaller room 1000sqf< would force me out of the room on to the property so I will pay for the flight, but if it's a choice between Y and a 3000sqf villa with private pool or small room with F, I'm flying Y
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by fourseasonsguy1
I think it depends. For long haul on my trip to Japan, I flew F with JAL and think it was worth every penny, but than again I wasn't paying. When I stayed in Bali, I had a large suite and than a villa for a few days. In context to this, if I didn't have the option of an accommodation that was worth being in, than I would prefer the flight seeing as a smaller room 1000sqf< would force me out of the room on to the property so I will pay for the flight, but if it's a choice between Y and a 3000sqf villa with private pool or small room with F, I'm flying Y

Your point is well taken.

I have paid for United PS F and C when flying LAX-JFK and needing to go directly to a meeting immediately following the flight. By the same token, I typically do Y+ JFK-LHR considering the short duration of the flight and the fact that I'll book upgraded accommodation when in London.

My base rule is plain old Y for any domestic flight under 4 hours, as I just don't find domestic F very interesting, and I already get the non-seat related perks (security line, lounge access, baggage allowance) via elite status and a lounge membership. Trans-atlantic I"ll typically pay for C and upgrade to F with miles if available.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:02 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Agree with those who say it's F/J - or stay at home! Travelling from CPT invariably involves a very long haul, overnight flight and at my age there is no way I am voluntarily spending between 11 and 14 hours in a Y seat. I also don't want to spend my luxury holiday dreading the return trip.

As I pay for all my travel from my own pocket, and am not fabulously wealthy, I always look for decent fares and make good use of miles. (I am over my fascination with F - having been fortunate enough to travel in many carriers' F cabins - so much less likely to splurge on F these days and spend more on accommodations.) This way I ensure that I always travel in comfort and also occasionally stay in luxury.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: BA BD SA
... I flew F with JAL and think it was worth every penny, but than again I wasn't paying.
I think everyone would agree that when it's free it's worth very penny you paid!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:05 am

I can't see the attraction of going all the way to Bali just to stay in a room no matter how nice it is - I thought the reson to travel to far away places was to see different cultures and scenery.

I agree with Cheetah_SA - it would completely spoil my holiday if I had a trip home in economy to look forward to!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im starting to think paid VIP/CIP can be better value than paid J sometimes
kind of feel convenience of always jumping queue can be better incremental value than flight comfort

it may be a bad "value" proposition in terms of how often there are delays, but im starting to feel like equating it with insurance to avoid them

when "all" premium get "priority" there is still a queue

I would not fly longhaul economy - I'd almost rather not go
we did not do Fairmont Gold. I tend to find those clubs provide an excuse to overeat and drink
when club has checkin, concierge, etc thats the stronger offering to me
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
just to stay in a room
they didnt say "just staying in room"
top properties usually have even more of a difference between base and top categories

* are europe>asia J always good deal ?
* anyone use "consolidators" ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 12, 2011 at 4:37 am
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
kind of feel convenience of always jumping queue can be better incremental value than flight comfort

it may be a bad "value" proposition in terms of how often there are delays, but im starting to feel like equating it with insurance to avoid them

when "all" premium get "priority" there is still a queue

when club has checkin, concierge, etc thats the stronger offering to me

they didnt say "just staying in room"
top properties usually have even more of a difference between base and top categories

* are europe>asia J always good deal ?
* anyone use "consolidators" ?
Kage are you saying you'd rather fly economy and then use a club service at the hotel? For me the main benefit of flying longhaul business class is the additional space and the ability to sleep on a flat bed. Lounge access and better food are of course nice too. I would see hotel club access as a marginal benefit whereas flying business class is a huge step up from economy.

Europe to Asia flights in J are not always a good deal. I'm not sure how they compare to J flights from the States, but a direct flight booked a while in advance on BA from London to, say, Bangkok would usually cost £3,000 at least.

Last edited by Londonjetsetter; Dec 12, 2011 at 5:30 am
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:30 am

as a smaller room 1000sqf< would force me out of the room on to the property so I will pay for the flight, but if it's a choice between Y and a 3000sqf villa with private pool or small room with F, I'm flying Y
I think the above indicates that that the poster would be 'forced' out of his room if it was less than 1000 sq feet - I take the remainder of his statement to imply if he had a larger villa he'd stay in it and not venture out. I really can't imagine that someone who needs a large villa would then be happy flying Y longhaul.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Londonjetsetter, i was only making the comparison between priority checkin and VIP @ airport. [VIP can avoid hours at airports] thanks re flights. i just noticed some really cheap flights recently. may have been a sale. although from a £-earning perspective, that is also cheap.

I think the above indicates that that the poster would be 'forced' out of his room if it was less than 1000 sq feet - I take the remainder of his statement to imply if he had a larger villa he'd stay in it and not venture out.
there is a difference between spending no time in room and spending all time in room.

I really can't imagine that someone who needs a large villa would then be happy flying Y longhaul.
and yet this is the alternative of paying for premium air.

really the key is how much is being spent on paid premium.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.