Reload this Page >

The Conservatorium, Amsterdam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Conservatorium, Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I am going to Amsterdam next Summer for the 1st time and booked the Conservatorium over the Wardolf Astoria. With no experience for Amsterdam before I basically booked based on website pictures and price as reviews on TA in general are both good. I am actually concern with the description that "every room is different" in the Wardolf Astoria website which means I am not guaranteed what I will get. The Conservatorium price is also lower and I will be spending most of my time outside so room decor less a concern as long as it is decent. The Conservatorium location looks fine as it is near to all the attractions I believed.

Did I make the right choice?
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BENLEE
I am going to Amsterdam next Summer for the 1st time and booked the Conservatorium over the Wardolf Astoria. With no experience for Amsterdam before I basically booked based on website pictures and price as reviews on TA in general are both good. I am actually concern with the description that "every room is different" in the Wardolf Astoria website which means I am not guaranteed what I will get. The Conservatorium price is also lower and I will be spending most of my time outside so room decor less a concern as long as it is decent. The Conservatorium location looks fine as it is near to all the attractions I believed.

Why not? Location depends on your preferences. If museums 100% yes. If we talk about the historic center I think WA is much more conveniant. As many hotels offer very different rooms in one category (like 40 to 80 sqm!) I think is always the best to tell them preferences in advance. For excample at WA most likely suites with canal view will be slightly smaller than the one without.

Btw: Only stayed at WA so far, so no Conservatorium inside view.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:48 am

I really like The Conservatorium - very good food by Schilo van Coevorden. However, if you want to be more central, by the canals, then I like The Dylan - again with very good food - a more traditional option.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by offerendum
Why not? Location depends on your preferences. If museums 100% yes. If we talk about the historic center I think WA is much more conveniant. As many hotels offer very different rooms in one category (like 40 to 80 sqm!) I think is always the best to tell them preferences in advance. For excample at WA most likely suites with canal view will be slightly smaller than the one without.

Btw: Only stayed at WA so far, so no Conservatorium inside view.
The WA seems to have a wide variety of rooms with different size, decor, views and ceiling height even within the same category. Yes I did wrote to them to ask if they can assure me of spacious room with high ceiling and the decor as per their website but they can't guarantee and it's "subject to availability". That's why I ultimately didn't book it.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

replying to discussion regarding waldorf categories >

a surprising number of properties have such variation
only time it is good is when receiving best in category

1 superior accessible
2 Superior
3 superior plus
8 Q deluxe , K deluxe
3 loft , premier loft , grand loft - 1 of each?
28 K premier , T premier
31 K grand , T grand , K grand canal , T grand canal
6 Junior Suites
7 Suites
+ four named - individually bookable , from €2K

some hilton can select room in online check-in, presumably not here

waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/resources/media/wa/AMSWAWA/en_US/pdf/en_AMSWAWA_Book_of_Experiences_v2_Sep_2018.pdf
waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en/hotels/netherlands/waldorf-astoria-amsterdam-AMSWAWA/events/index.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 9, 2018 at 9:35 pm
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

The WA seems to have a wide variety of rooms with different size, decor, views and ceiling height even within the same category. Yes I did wrote to them to ask if they can assure me of spacious room with high ceiling and the decor as per their website but they can't guarantee and it's "subject to availability". That's why I ultimately didn't book it.
Fully understand this. Such an answer is Hilton and not luxury.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fully understand this. Such an answer is Hilton and not luxury.
not hilton, there is no example here of 'guaranteed' room within category

no categories is rare, like trisara residences being booked individually

i'm with those here who would prefer to book specific, vs lower rate

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 10, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
not hilton, there is no example here of 'guaranteed' room within category

no categories is rare, like trisara residences being booked individually

i'm with those here who would prefer to book specific, vs lower rate
At many hotels I got specific rooms....
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:02 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

For us the location of the WA is vastly preferable but I understand that that choice is subjective. We love the Jordaan area of Amsterdam and for years stayed at the Pulitzer. On our last visit we split our time between a suite at the Andaz and one at the Waldorf Astoria. We have only stayed at a handful of Hilton properties ever (Cavalieri, Conrad Tokyo, Hilton Berlin) and the WA Amsterdam was by far our favorite. The room was tastefully furnished with a wonderful view and the service was impeccable.

We booked a KING GRAND PREMIER CANAL.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I’ll just say that we loved our WA Amsterdam stay. The room types are a bit of a gamble but we got lucky and our room was spacious, bright, and fantastic.
damon88 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and if unlucky with worst room in category.. (many examples here)

At many hotels I got specific rooms....
where do they guarantee specific room in category?
like room number x rather than any 'deluxe room'
most managers want to have operational flexibility
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
and if unlucky with worst room in category.. (many examples here)

I was guaranteed a specific room at Aman Sveti Stefan 3+ months prior to arrival.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:01 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
My husband and I had booked a King Deluxe at the WA for our first night since we were arriving late. The hotel upgraded us to the Premier Canal for the entire stay. We found the staff at this hotel to be gracious and accommodating (we didn’t know we were at a Hilton 😊
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

has anyone ever downgraded from a more expensive room to a longer stay in a less expensive room?

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I was guaranteed a specific room at Aman Sveti Stefan 3+ months prior to arrival.
good example
interesting in 2014-2015 : only 1 "deluxe seaview cottage with terrace"
extremely few with terrace, tried to identify some here >
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post30225112

edit - emphasis on "guaranteed" , can't be sure how hotel blocks
when hotels sometimes displace all guests due to buyouts, etc
if not delivered, having in writing can help improve recovery

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 11, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the moment Posta Vecchia, will ask at another hotel as the have not only one Royal Suite and one is nice and the other not so much.
I understand most Managers want flexibility but from my experience it´s mostly possible to ask for a specific or at least room with specifications. Often read here about specific rooms at Amans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.