Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Papeete for one night?

Papeete for one night?

Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Relais & Châteaux
Papeete for one night?

Hi everybody.. I'm going to Bora Bora, but need the best possible place to spend 1 night within distance of Papeete? - Any suggestions? Transport time up to 2 hours is OK, just need a great experience. Any around?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
InterContinental Tahiti - in a Panoramic room or higher.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
InterContinental Tahiti Update

InterContinental Resort Tahiti

Map| 4 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Pointe Tata A Faaa, PF 98702

InterContinental Tahiti Update (17 Photos)

Check In

Was efficient and friendly , our friends were also upgraded to a panorama lagoon view room and OTW bungalows .

Room

We only can speak for the OTW bungalows . Did not view the other rooms or suites in buildings on terra firma . We were just too jet lagged flying in from Auckland , etcetera or exhausted from our fun activities on our Pure Polynesia cruise on M . S . Marina :)

For the OTW bungalows , you have a choice of the rustic non renovated ones which I stayed in many moons ago .

IMHO & FWIW , the renovated ones do belong to this forum but the non renovated ones do not . However , they may after the refurbishment / renovation which are supposed to be happening soon - this year .

Lovely to be able to jump into the water any time . All sorts of colourful fish and even some live coral for viewing . ( We had our own masks / snorkel but am sure the activities centre - at the other end of the property - can provide them )

A89C0BE8-C6CD-4B56-9527-36BDDE535965.jpeAC24E572-DE8C-49B6-8A6A-F247974BCD1E.jpe832BB306-4668-42CD-A0D8-A3E9FDC63D09.jpe

Unrenovated bungalows , soon to be redone . Lotus , the restaurant , is on the left

DE3D00CC-9FDF-42FC-9C01-DDFA8174552E.jpe

The renovated OTW bungalows are in front of the main building and pool

42BFCA1A-99E9-47E5-A4E4-164992FE66E7.jpe

This is 501 , forgot to take photos of the interiors 

853C6062-D131-4900-A2F7-4A86DB7EDE39.jpe

Dining

Breakfast is ok . The buffet spread is spread out . Lots of tropical fruits , etcetera . There is a cook to order egg station , be prepared to wait even if the line / queue is short ..

Dinner is passable if just overnight . Some interesting dishes . Do ask a more senior waiter / waitress who understands you !

As for desserts , the ice creams / sorbets we enjoyed tasting - especially the “ exotic “ ones . If you are adventurous enough , try the offering of ‘ local ‘ desserts 

There is a good Marquesas show on Wednesday night which is worth watching .

Service

Service ranges from slow to alright , “ this is French Polynesia - go with the flow “ ;)

Friendly & generally , helpful 

Slipped on lower deck / pontoon after a rather ‘ high ‘ tide ( there aren’t supposed to be tides ) yesterday making it mossy ?

FYI , reception has antiseptic lotion & gauze . Hopefully , nothing more is required by anyone or more serious happens to guests .

Pleasantly surprised ..

The evening duty manager called and came by with the medical kit . Somewhat dressed my wounds , what was obvious , as I said I did not require medical attention .

She was caring and has a warm personality , ‘ not just going through the motions ‘ .

D4CC3D61-E12E-46A5-A828-91D253F4F117.jpeDE135191-839A-42DA-A7D8-6A8F1BC795DF.jpeVery convenient to the airport , like 5 / 10 minuets / minutes .

More to the port / town .

It is perpetually fully booked , many pre / post cruise plus other Island hoppers 

Was trying to find a photo with a plane approaching for landing . What you see so far are outriggers & the like ..

CD9AB21E-9A64-4587-ADF7-328B69671198.jpe

Found these 2 with a plane landing approach

5C06BC80-97EB-4C3B-9076-8B9FF8D8B872.jpeBE57F343-3DC6-48E6-AD2E-F8BD5F634A71.jpe

Overall

Glorious sunrises & sunsets !

0683EF67-6077-42F2-A7E4-01C17C8E1333.jpe962DAE71-B232-430B-BABA-F69E51669EDF.jpe

Spot the fish , very clear water near our OTW bungalows

25D9D4FB-D387-47F3-AEED-41564F1C52BD.jpe8A792C29-1005-4627-9143-5B397C8114AE.jpe

219628E2-266D-4EEC-B645-BC4AE2B11CC2.jpe9B928B72-6EF1-4A73-BCDA-293A3B140189.jpeArguably the best in Papeete , as the locals say .

As you can see , well positioned too for views of Moorea !

Will stay in the MOTU OTW bungalow  .

The bungalows we stayed had their own ‘ house ‘ reefs - lots of colourful fish . Sea cucumbers too .

Kayakers often go by or even under the OTW bungalows , fun & can be exhilarating watching them , even the kids practising .

InterContinental Tahiti Update

Would you like to write a review on the InterContinental Resort Tahiti?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Thanks for the review. Have not seen much info on Tahiti island itself.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Ihg, Delta, Iberia, American, Southwest
How long from the airport?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:58 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by trebol42
How long from the airport?
About 10 minutes ? , what I mentioned in my TR .
Depends on what class you are on , there maybe a wait . We were ok on ANZ Business though .
The crowds could be due to young Islanders flying to AKL with a parent or 2 for Ed Shereen ’ s concerts
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

About 10 minutes ? , what I mentioned in my TR .
Depends on what class you are on , there maybe a wait . We were ok on ANZ Business though .
The crowds could be due to young Islanders flying to AKL with a parent or 2 for Ed Shereen ’ s concerts
If I stay in this property I will arrive late in the night and I will leave soon in the morning. Do you think it worth it?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:48 am

If I stay in this property I will arrive late in the night and I will leave soon in the morning. Do you think it worth it?
How late ? Early ?
Depends .. and also where else are you visiting in French Polynesia ?
Possibly not in the OTW bungalow if departing before 7 am .
If a bit later , will have some time to snorkel / swim in the sea at sunrise , quite an experience .
You can also do this in numerous locations in French Polynesia
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

How late ? Early ?
Depends .. and also where else are you visiting in French Polynesia ?
Possibly not in the OTW bungalow if departing before 7 am .
If a bit later , will have some time to snorkel / swim in the sea at sunrise , quite an experience .
You can also do this in numerous locations in French Polynesia
I will be in Hilton Moorea 5 nights and 1 in La Moona Bora Bora and 4 in Conrad Hilton.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:48 am

I will be in Hilton Moorea 5 nights and 1 in La Moona Bora Bora and 4 in Conrad Hilton.
Well , trebol42 , where will you stay then if not here at Intercontinental which arguably is the best .. ?
No need for the OTW bungalow then as you ‘ ll be in other islands where you can experience the wonders of the sea , etcetera .
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:58 am

trebol42 - If you are flying to Moorea then the IC might be the best bet as it's close to the airport. For one night I'd get the cheapest room available. This is not a hotel I would ever recommend to anyone - it's a Travel Agent sort of place full of people using it as an airport motel, which incidentally was its original purpose as a Travelodge, then the Tahiti Beachcomber.

If you are taking the ferry across to Moorea, then you should stay in town. The Tahiti Nui is excellent and you can walk to the ferry pier from there.

As I've said many times before, it's sad people ignore Tahiti. There is much to see and do there and a rental car makes for a pleasant few days.

The Moorea Hilton is fine if a little cramped as they have too many rooms for a relatively small area. I've stayed at the Moana on Bora Bora - a nice beach but it lacks a view of Mt Otemanu, as does the Conrad which faces out to the ocean. It's been upgraded recently so should be OK.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:17 am

I had the same challenge. The Air New Zealand flight arrived in Papeete after midnight and I was joining a cruise later the same morning. It made no sense to book one of the resort hotels for the night, though I booked the Intercontinental for a longer stay after the cruise. There is not a great selection of smaller hotels in the vicinity and we opted for The Tiara Tahiti on the waterfront in downtown Papeete. It was perfectly adequate for an eight hour stay-over. The bed was comfortable, it was clean and respectable and the air conditioning worked. The bathroom was a bit antiquated but served its purpose. Nearby were a number of cafes where they served excellent croissants and coffee. I would not mind doing it again.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
This hotel DEFINITELY does not belong in the luxury forum, but we arrived at midnight and had a 10am flight the next morning. I wanted to land at PPT, and get to bed. So we booked Tahiti Airport Motel. https://tahitiairportmotel.net/en/

From the time we landed, walked to the hotel (3 minute walk), and put our head on the pillow, it was 20 minutes. Room was clean, and quiet

Last edited by CanuckFlyHigh; Apr 2, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
trebol42 - If you are flying to Moorea then the IC might be the best bet as it's close to the airport. For one night I'd get the cheapest room available. This is not a hotel I would ever recommend to anyone - it's a Travel Agent sort of place full of people using it as an airport motel, which incidentally was its original purpose as a Travelodge, then the Tahiti Beachcomber.

If you are taking the ferry across to Moorea, then you should stay in town. The Tahiti Nui is excellent and you can walk to the ferry pier from there.

As I've said many times before, it's sad people ignore Tahiti. There is much to see and do there and a rental car makes for a pleasant few days.

The Moorea Hilton is fine if a little cramped as they have too many rooms for a relatively small area. I've stayed at the Moana on Bora Bora - a nice beach
but it lacks a view of Mt Otemanu, as does the Conrad which faces out to the ocean. It's been upgraded recently so should be OK.
Was déjà vu for me , as think must have been the Tahiti Beachcomber where we stayed in 1972 ! Some parts looked really familiar ..
Agree that Tahiti has much to see & do . Glad we did a round the island this time , brought back / jolted memories
Much has not changed but the town itself has grown , as has the port to accommodate the yachts along with the cruise ships !
Quite a few good / interesting restaurants .. including MEMENE near the “ market “ ( which is fun to browse / shop ) & next to the Tahiti Pearl Market / Luxury .
Glad we chose Intercontinental as it met our needs and was good for getting over some jet lag pre cruise just for overnight & for exploring / re acquainting with Tahiti post cruise
But one must stay in a renovated MOTU OTW bungalow , only then can we remotely include the InterContinental here . It helps that one has a view of Moorea even when lying in bed . Also own coral clumps Think I also posted this somewhere .
If one is in one of the suites with a glass ‘ floor ‘ at The Moorea Hilton , it should be alright .

Originally Posted by gbs1112
I had the same challenge. The Air New Zealand flight arrived in Papeete after midnight and I was joining a cruise later the same morning. It made no sense to book one of the resort hotels for the night, though I booked the Intercontinental for a longer stay after the cruise. There is not a great selection of smaller hotels in the vicinity and we opted for The Tiara Tahiti on the waterfront in downtown Papeete. It was perfectly adequate for an eight hour stay-over. The bed was comfortable, it was clean and respectable and the air conditioning worked. The bathroom was a bit antiquated but served its purpose. Nearby were a number of cafes where they served excellent croissants and coffee. I would not mind doing it again.
We were departing on the return leg of your flight at 2 am !
Had to pay for another night ‘ s stay at the InterContinental . All late check outs are chargeable , that is if one can even secure a late checkout !! Our friends could not . As mentioned before , this hotel is perpetually running at 100 % .
For us , our ship M . S . Marina had a night in dock so late or rather early arriving passengers could stay the night onboard . Just in case , some passengers may have been thrown by the international dateline ?

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 2, 2018 at 10:48 am
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
This hotel DEFINITELY does not belong in the luxury forum, but we arrived at midnight and had a 10am flight the next morning. I wanted to land at PPT, and get to bed. So we booked Tahiti Airport Motel. https://tahitiairportmotel.net/en/

From the time we landed, walked to the hotel (3 minute walk), and put our head on the pillow, it was 20 minutes. Room was clean, and quiet.
I've been lurking here and my dismay has gradually given way to horror. Bora Bora is a difficult international destination and often requires a long layover (or overnight) in Tahiti. But unless something drastic has changed, staying at the Intercontinental for a few hours is something I just don't understand. Especially at night. I'm with CanuckFlyHigh. Stay at the airport hotel and get out of the place. The Intercontinental is a nice hotel. But the surroundings, including the ocean. remind me of Oakland. This is a major step down from Bora Bora.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Apr 2, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.